JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a Mossberg 800 stock that was cursed with pressed checkering which HAS TO GO. Am looking for ideas on how to fill the checkering (wood filler, epoxy?). The stock will be painted so matching finish is not an issue. Anyone with experience?

Both options would work and really depends on the product. If you want to go filler... minwax wood filler is one of the best for long term durability and stability. Water based... it's easy to work with, will flex with wood expansion/contraction and not really any more susceptible to moisture/dings/scratches than the wood surrounding it.

Something like Kwikwood works really well too. A 2 part wood epoxy. A little more difficult to apply, work with and is more rigid than wood that "could" have the potential to break bonding. I haven't experienced that, but I've heard of it and theoretically it makes sense if you have two materials in contact with each other that expand/contract at different rates. Using it on a stock that receives regular recoil shocks or likely to get banged around, it may be more of a possibility(?) (I kinda doubt it though)

Typically, I wouldn't use an epoxy based product unless I need more structural strength. Like strong adhesive bonding or building up material along an edge, rebuilding a corner, etc.

Priming and painting it anyway... my personal choice would be the minwax wood filler. It's just much easier to work with, sand/shape and I don't personally see any need in that application for a more structural material. There is certainly nothing wrong with going the Kwikwood route though. YMMV

Last Edited:
Sounds like it's time to whip out the belt-sander with some 60-grit belts!

;) :D
Whoa there, big fella! I was thinking a random orbit sander with 180-220!
I actually did this on a '74 vintage Model 70 a few years ago. Took that nasty pressed checkering right off and gave it a nice clean look. Multiple coats of Tru Oil later and she's a real looker.
The key is to GO SLOW. Walnut, though considered a hardwood, is relatively soft. It's used in gunstocks because it's very stable.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top