JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've have two Mossberg shotguns. My first shotgun was a Maverick 88. I fired about 300 rounds out it now.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21362352931.151425.jpg

I also have a 590A1 as well:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21362353127.887732.jpg

For HD you should get a light and a sidesaddle as well for carrying extra shot shells. My Maverick 88 has a TacStar side saddle on it. My 590A1 has a Specter Gear buttstock side saddle on it.

For shotgun loads I prefer low recoil loads for my pump shotguns. Federal H132, low recoil 9 pellet 00 buckshot or LE132 9 pellet 00 buckshot with flitecontrol.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21362352931.151425.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21362353127.887732.jpg

+1 for the Knoxx stock. Makes it easy for sensitive folks to train without developing a flinch.

Another PLUS for the Knoxxx Stock

I started with low funds so I bought a new 8 shot Maverick 88 because I knew it would take Mossy accessories. The first and best modification was a Blackhawk Knoxx Gen II recoil reduction AR style stock. It makes practice so much easier on my aging bones! A simple and great concept that just works.

20 gauge 870 express tactical (6+1) with 18' barrel, Knoxx recoil-reducing stock + Limbsaver/Supercell recoil pad for it (already included in Gen II stocks) is a very good home defense shotgun - light enough for the entire family to use, quick on follow-up shots, mild-kicking, and still extremely deadly.

The only problem is that production of Gen II Knoxx stocks for 20 gauge is going to start by end of 2013, according to their customer rep. 12 gauge models are already available.

Oh, and I recommend shooting a Knoxx model before you purchase one - some people who like to press their cheeks hard against the stock and keep their face relatively close to the receiver may get a "cheek slap".

swoop,

True. Racking the slide as "the deterrent itself" is over-rated.

Pumping the action tells the intruder where you are and what weapon you have. It leaves them the choice of approaching your home from a different angle or returning another day and time. If armed appropriately, the intruder might fire (a (wall or door penetrating) round toward the sound of where the racking sound came from.

Whatever shotgun you have in 20 ga. or larger. Shorter barrel makes indoor handling easier. The rest is unimportant. Use whatever you have. Buckshot of one size or another is preferred but larger birdshot will work at in room distances unless you live in a castle. It's not likely that you will be attacked by a determined infantry squad or will return another day.

Winchester 1300 Defender 12 guage. Loaded with 2 birdshot shells, 2 #4 turkey loads, 2 00 buckshots and and a Hornady SST Slug. Coming out in that order. Good. Better. Best.

Winchester 1300 Defender 12 guage. Loaded with 2 birdshot shells, 2 #4 turkey loads, 2 00 buckshots and and a Hornady SST Slug. Coming out in that order. Good. Better. Best.

Good if your attacker is coming at you like this Monty Python - Endless running - YouTube

For me #4 BUCKshot is ideal for HD with a stronger load last, such as Hornady 1600fps 00 Buck, that way I know "big boom" means I am out.

I believe everyone's situation is different. If I lived in a house with other people, kids - or especially an apartment, then I'd take the Gunblast guy's advice and use birdshot. Nothing would be worse than 00 going through a wall(s) and killing an innocent person, or I'd use a different weapon/ammo.
Frangible rounds in a pistol, Extreme Shock rounds in an AR for instance.

I don't have those issues, so it is 00.

Burt, if one is in that situation with innocents near, they should consider steel duplex 3 inch magnum birdshot and kneeling and aiming at their face/throat to avoid bad angles thru your wall. A little cool headed advance planning can win the battle. As you might imagine I have long since war gamed my situation

I believe everyone's situation is different. If I lived in a house with other people, kids - or especially an apartment, then I'd take the Gunblast guy's advice and use birdshot. Nothing would be worse than 00 going through a wall(s) and killing an innocent person, or I'd use a different weapon/ammo.
Frangible rounds in a pistol, Extreme Shock rounds in an AR for instance.

I don't have those issues, so it is 00.

Well said.

Good if your attacker is coming at you like this Monty Python - Endless running - YouTube

For me #4 BUCKshot is ideal for HD with a stronger load last, such as Hornady 1600fps 00 Buck, that way I know "big boom" means I am out.

Inside of a home, I doubt any of us could tell the difference. You're essentially deaf after the first shot for several minutes.

Inside of a home, I doubt any of us could tell the difference. You're essentially deaf after the first shot for several minutes.

The loss of hearing may not be complete, but it is always permanent. If you have any time, you can put those electronic earmuffs on - they amplify quiet sounds above the normal level (giving you a slight tactical advantage) while suppressing gun blasts. If you have the entire family barricaded in a room, protecting everybody's hearing can be problematic.

Hearing protection is a reason why a suppressed AR or pistol could be better than a shotgun for HD for some people.

I was thinking that the harder recoil would signal time to reload, not the sound, but that is a good point. You don't want to be exposed when you hear a click instead of a boom.

I just picked up a box of these to use one as first in/last out

zombie.jpg

zombie.jpg

A good "apples to apples" comparison can be made with the Mossberg 500 and the Remington 870. I did some research and went to a gun show to handle and inspect each one. Both seem to be very well made and solid. I like the Mossberg 500's tang safety over the safety on the side of the Remington's trigger group and I know that the Mossberg 500 is widely used in both military and police units.

When I found the Mossberg 500 with a synthetic stock and two barrels (18.5 and 28") at Bi-Mart for $299, I couldn't pass it up. Many shells later I have no regrets.

I'm going to throw this out one more time because I can't believe how well they hold up: new england firearms pardner pump 18.5" (I own 3 18"ers and two 28") gave one to my father and a 20g to my sister. The weakest part of the NEF-PP & 870 design is that the ejector leaf spring is riveted in where as the miss is a screw one could easily replace themselves. I prefer the ambi safety of the moss but practice with the 870 has put that preference on the back burner. The other benefit to the moss is the lift gate/loading ramp is out of the way when loading where as the 870s gets in the way like a small dog around your feet while in the kitchen.

But the price point alone is why I'm a fan of the NEF-PP, great family and neighbor arming firearms. 180 reg and 140-125 on sale. Just as mosins, they're available and affordable.. For now. Balk all you want at china made shotguns.. Mine have held up just fine.