JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
How about a "coach gun". Short double barrel 12 guage.... you look like a stovepipe salesman from the intruder's view!
I prefer exposed hammers, but I am old and difficult.

P1010168.jpg
P1010171.jpg
P1010170.jpg

If budget is a concern for a HD shotgun most popular styles have reliable clones. Such as the Stevens 350 which is a clone of a M37, Stevens 320 clone of a Winchester 1300, IAC Hawk clone of a 870, Armscor shotguns clone of a M12 with a mossy elevator. I have shot the Armscor, 350, and Hawk and find them to be as reliable if not better than their counter parts in some areas. Plus all can be had for 250 or less each. Oregon City Bi-Mart last I checked had five 320's security/home defense style for $180 ish and that was last week.

There's good reason cops and the military no longer use double barrels. I would not even entertain the idea of a HD shotty with less than 6 shots, and 20 as minimum guage

The very last thing I would concern myself with in a break in here in the PNW is the legal aftermath. If they break in and especially if they confront you, they are pretty much fair game

Wise defenders are going to shoot first and let the chips fall later

I recently read my old post.
I've since changed my views very much on the subject both the selection of the shotgun type, and my stance on being found guilty by a jury.

Given the fact that no matter what us pro gunners do to protect ourselves and loved ones its going to come under scrutiny. Using any firearm be it a pistol rifle or shotgun to a panel of motards its all the same, its just what you do and say before and after the altercation.

That being said, I've done some extensive shooting with the NEF (New England Firearms) Pardner Pump Protectors or "Rem 870s clones" as some describe them. They are made in China by Hawk industries even though they are sold under the NEF brand.

They are about90% compatible with Rem 870 parts, the barrel of a rem 870 WILL fit with the use of a shim due to the location of the barrel ring and magazine cap/clamp.

NEF pardner pump shotguns are an incredible shotgun for the money. And quite inexpensive too $179 for both the home defense 18" as well as the 28" hunting model with a choke.
For a fantastic truck gun that can take some.decent abuse or a great bed stand or closet gun the pardner pumps can't be beat.

Some of the cheap imported pumps are getting decent reviews.. always get out and actually shoot your new gun with serious full power ammo, and note that each shotgun load will pattern differently, and that slugs can be way off where buck goes. Always aim a shotgun unless it's near arm's length and you have no time. Never use birdshot against criminal assault.. 00 buckshot is best. I choose the Sellier and Bellot 12 pellet 00 load but it's a mean kicker and my gal steers far from my shotguns. Her long guns are 5.56 AR15 carbines

Yea,don't want to use that bird shot,lol
ANY 12 guage round will in fact stop a threat
Any 20 gauge will do the same...given most ranges inside a house
My Daddy fed us,yes I've said this many times,with a 410. And deer are harder to kill than humans. Although I would use buck or slugs with a 410,I would never feel under gunned with one in my hands.
If you think otherwise,put on a vest and let me plant one on your chest.
When you can talk again,we'll resume the conversation.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's good reason cops and the military no longer use double barrels. I would not even entertain the idea of a HD shotty with less than 6 shots, and 20 as minimum guage

Joe Biden would disagree so you're right.
I prefer 12 guage pump shotguns loaded with reduced recoil buckshot. I'll take a nice Mossberg or Remington myself.

The Vice President of the United States says you should buy a 2-barrel shotgun for home defense. If you hear a noise, go outside and empty the weapon. Problem solved.

Of course his secret service agents and military bodyguards are armed to the teeth with all the stuff he's been put in charge of taking away from us. And ammo for citizens has virtually disappeared. So he can glibly dispense that sort of negligent, dangerous advice and sleep like a baby every night for the rest of his life. On our dime.

Yea,don't want to use that bird shot,lol
ANY 12 guage round will in fact stop a threat
Any 20 gauge will do the same...given most ranges inside a house
My Daddy fed us,yes I've said this many times,with a 410. And deer are harder to kill than humans. Although I would use buck or slugs with a 410,I would never feel under gunned with one in my hands.
If you think otherwise,put on a vest and let me plant one on your chest.
When you can talk again,we'll resume the conversation.

The Box O' Truth #3 - The Shotgun Meets the Box O' Truth - Page 2

I like the gunblast guy, he's Down Home.. but here is the reality of birdshot against determined, maybe drugged up attackers (from the above link)

Birdshot as a Defense Load
I have had a lot of questions, summed up as follows: How effective is birdshot (#4, #6, #8, etc.) as a defense load?

We have done tests with various birdshot loads. Birdshot penetrated through two pieces of drywall (representing one wall) and was stopped in the paper on the front of the second wall. The problem with birdshot is that it does not penetrate enough to be effective as a defense round. Birdshot is designed to bring down little birds.

A policeman told of seeing a guy shot at close range with a load of 12 gauge birdshot, and was not even knocked down. He was still walking around when the EMTs got there. It was an ugly, shallow wound, but did not STOP the guy. And that is what we want... to STOP the bad guy from whatever he is doing. To do this, you must have a load that will reach the vitals of the bad guy. Birdshot will not do this.

In fact, tests have shown that even #4 Buckshot lacks the necessary penetration to reach the vital organs. Only 0 Buck, 00 Buck, and 000 Buck penetrate enough to reach the vital organs.

Unless you expect to be attacked by little birds, do not use birdshot. Use 00 Buck. It will do the job.

Last edited by a moderator: