JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I use 3 of the recommended loads: Speer Gold Dot 135gr +P in my S&W 638, Hornady TAP 75 Gr. T2 in 5.56 in the Colt LE 6920, and Federal 230 gr. HST in .45.

Now if I could only be attacked by blocks of gelatin wrapped in denim I'll be all set. (just joking, very good article and good post.)

Additional reading for 5.56 ammo fans:
Here is a good thread about the TAP 5.56 some of which was quoted in the first piece

Dr Gary Roberts article for the real nuts...

I use Winchester Black Talons, which should be nearly identical to the Ranger SXT. As for why Im still using black talons, its because my father was law enforcement and had a bunch stock piled for training back when he carried a 9mm. It was short lived, and they soon switched to .40 S&W. So of course when I discovered this munition depo in his garage, I pounced on the oppurtunity :D

I really like all the Winchester Ranger SXT ammo, and have no reason to switch to Speer Gold dots, which would be my only second choice. I used to carry federal hydra shocks in the beginning when I was ill informed, but after reading test after test of multiple rounds failing to expand or fragmenting, I just couldnt carry it anymore.

i carry gold dots in both my revolvers, unfortunately they are they smaller 125 grain +p's. Although im not that concerned about it. I understand preparing for the worst and such but honestly a small percentage of a chance that they wont expand doesnt concern me that much. If one out of 5 rounds doesnt expand and he is still coming then i have more to worry about than why i didnt buy a slightly heavier bullet. Very informative article though thank you. I have read most of this already and done alot of research about bullets and wound tracts and how each round compares to others because i find it interesting.

Matt

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads