JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'll throw in a couple handy tools.

This is for retracting a stuck BCG where you don't want to do the "mortar drill" or when the charging handle breaks. US Tool is pretty proud of them, but they're easy to make or modify a short flat pry bar. Insert through the mag well and pry back the carrier.
IMGP0999_1024x1024.jpg

Receiver maintenance links are helpful for cleaning when used with a mag vise block and bore guide. Again, easy to make your own. A 12" piece of 1/2" PEX pipe sleeved inside an 8" piece of 3/4" PEX works as a good bore guide as long as you keep the muzzle sloped downhill. Drill a hole towards the end of the 1/2" for a solvent port.

817qS3FsoLL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Those Midwest action rods are the best. I own both 5.56 and 7.62 versions. Got em on sale for about $100 each shipped if I recall... From optics planet of all places.

Inquiring minds want to know. Grace has been manufacturing in the US since Pearl Harbor.
The Tekton site doesn't mention when they were established, so I'm going to guess not anywhere near 1941. Grace may well be the company that makes punches for Tekton. I really have no idea and wasn't able to determine either way in a reasonable amount of time. They look really similar except for the engraving and even then, the font is very similar.

Tekton is also out of Michigan, Grand Rapids in this case. I chose Tekton for three reasons:

1) Not made in China. Prefer made in USA but not going to pay 3 times as much.
2) Good quality/price ratio.
3) Good, well supported warranty.

Grace seems to compete well in each of these categories:

1) The Grace punch set is made in USA. The Tekton punch set is made in USA. Tekton has a lot of tools made in Taiwan but is actively increasing the number of tools made in USA. Currently they are at about 15%. Grace tools seem to be all made in the USA but has a more limited line of tools.

2) The Grace punch set costs $44. The Tekton punch set costs $32. This is not that big a difference, especially considering customer satisfaction. Both companies, per my research, have excellent reputations, but while Grace customers seem to absolutely love their products, Tekton customers are just very happy.

3) Both companies get very good reviews for warrantee service.

Either company would be a great choice for punches and also hammers, hooks and picks. Tekton's hammers, hooks and picks are made in USA. That's all that Grace makes, so if you're looking for rachets, sockets, wrenches, keys, screwdrivers, pliers, chisels, or clamps, Tekton would be a good choice.

The Tekton site doesn't mention when they were established, so I'm going to guess not anywhere near 1941. Grace may well be the company that makes punches for Tekton. I really have no idea and wasn't able to determine either way in a reasonable amount of time. They look really similar except for the engraving and even then, the font is very similar.

Tekton is also out of Michigan, Grand Rapids in this case. I chose Tekton for three reasons:

1) Not made in China. Prefer made in USA but not going to pay 3 times as much.
2) Good quality/price ratio.
3) Good, well supported warranty.

Grace seems to compete well in each of these categories:

1) The Grace punch set is made in USA. The Tekton punch set is made in USA. Tekton has a lot of tools made in Taiwan but is actively increasing the number of tools made in USA. Currently they are at about 15%. Grace tools seem to be all made in the USA but has a more limited line of tools.

2) The Grace punch set costs $44. The Tekton punch set costs $32. This is not that big a difference, especially considering customer satisfaction. Both companies, per my research, have excellent reputations, but while Grace customers seem to absolutely love their products, Tekton customers are just very happy.

3) Both companies get very good reviews for warrantee service.

Either company would be a great choice for punches and also hammers, hooks and picks. Tekton's hammers, hooks and picks are made in USA. That's all that Grace makes, so if you're looking for rachets, sockets, wrenches, keys, screwdrivers, pliers, chisels, or clamps, Tekton would be a good choice.
Somehow I ended up with Grace. Midway USA perhaps...
I often forget where "good" tools came from, as I have been using them so long.

So funny how "Made in Japan" meant cheap junk back then, and now it's hard to find anything cheap from there anymore. I somehow don't see that happening with China.
China has a few select products that are up there in quality. Holosun, for example.

I think this is market based though. There are some markets (like us) who are ruthless and unforgiving. One screw up and you are forever lambasted in forums and beer halls for the rest of time. It does not even matter if you are a company usually noted for quality. Just take a look at Sig, Eotech and HK; their products are still sought after for their quality, but they are the butt of every joke out there, and there are large cliques of people who still refuse to buy their products because of it.

And companies who are not known for quality? They go out of business, or are relegated to the discount bin for all the poors. There are a few Chinese companies that know this and are working very hard to keep their reputations as pristine as they can. One screw up and they will be cut out of the market or they will have to drop their price to pennies on the dollar to move any product.

But yeah, the rest of China does not care. They are in markets where the bulk sale of bottom dollar goods is viewed as a best practice. Amazon has fully embraced that, with product that does not even match the description most of the time (see Louis Rossmann's takedown of Amazon fuses, for a scary example).

Most consumers just accept this as the status quo, and will not seek out higher quality (and more expensive) options. Often times it is just too much effort, as you have to do a ton of research to sort the chaff from the wheat. I do not know about you but I do not have the time to become a subject matter expert on a topic every time I want to buy some random product. There are just too many variables, what with previously highly rated companies choosing to "cash in" on their name for short term gains and cheeping out on their newest releases to fake reviews to straight up scams. It is really hard to maintain a reputation based trade paradigm when so many elements of that system are actively working to circumvent it, including those in charge of enforcement.

Punches: If it from Starrett, it's gtg. Also...if you're doing a lot of work...a set of sacrificial starter punches is probably worth the small investment. Brownells or Midway for that and any other punches you need.

A set of dental picks...in metal and plastic.

Dawsons Extractor Removal Tool is wonderful if you're working on 9mm 1911's...

These little armorer tools are da BombDiggity!

And Vibra-Tite VC-3 thread locker is fantastic stuff if you don't know about it. It's designed for screws that may need periodic adjustment from time to time. You can make five adjustments before the screw needs to be recoated. The stuff is great for things like tension adjustment screws on holsters and such. It's a little pricey but a bottle goes a long way
I have more tools that I know what to do with. Lifelong obsession. 100's of $K worth. IMHO the Starrett punches are awful. Too hard and too brittle. The 3/32 and under punches shatter with a good smack. Ive probably shattered a hundred of them over the years. I most likely have shards of them in both hands. I use punches every day and the Mayhew line is a far better choice than Starrett at least in the smaller sizes.

So funny how "Made in Japan" meant cheap junk back then, and now it's hard to find anything cheap from there anymore. I somehow don't see that happening with China.
China builds to the quality level they get paid to build at . They can put out incredibly high quality product that are beyond our capabilities to produce or they can put out schlock at the cheapest price point. They dont care. Theyre just concerned with keeping people employed.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top