JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The three most vivid cases where I had what seemed like a spontaneous mental image, it was shared with someone else. That is, we got the or a closely related image simultaneously.

I'll tell you the wildest one. I walked past a friend of mine who was sitting at my dining room table reading something on the way to the kitchen. Suddenly I stopped and looked back at her. I had got a sudden very elaborate mental image. I was on a broad marble porch, a.marble pillar to my left, a broad set of marble stairs in front of me with a group of people at the bottom. I had been lecturing to this group. They were all men. So was I. We were all wearing white togas or some similar garment. One of the group I had been speaking to was my friend, though not in a female body. But I knew it was her. There were more classical buildings behind her, whether Greek or Roman I don't know enough to know.

My friend looked at me and said, "That was the strangest thing. I just got this image. In ancient Greece. You were up on a porch lecturing, and I was one of the students or members of the audience..." She described the togas, the building behind me, the fact that we were all men. I had not seen the building behind me. I wasn't facing that way. And she didn't see the buildings behind her that I saw.

So we discussed it and speculated that the scene we imagined was real. That both of us actually had experienced what we saw at some point in the past. And if that was true, reincarnation had to at least in some sense be real.
Unless it ended with both of you shouting, "THIS IS SPARTA"
as you drop-kicked a Persian emissary down a well…. it was the mushroom tea you both were drinking that did it to you.

:s0122:

:D

Stuff like this interests me. The inner workings of the human brain are miraculous. It doesn't take much for something to be slightly askew, and you often hear stories of someone with some kind of mental glitch, who has a particular strength in another area.

Here's another weird one- I don't remember colors. I'm not colorblind, but my memory sure seems to be. My wife will be referring to someone or something, like a person wearing a blue shirt or driving a green car, and I might remember the person or car, but absolutely no memory of color, unless it's something that really stuck out. I can barely remember what color my own house is unless I'm standing right in front of it. Just another weird glitch, a quirk of the brain.

Maybe there's a fancy name for that too! :)

"Sectional senility"? :s0092:

;):D

Honestly it's not a loss, because I never had it. I can listen to stuff like that and appreciate the skill and complexity, and it might even be enjoyable to some degree, but I can't even imagine being emotionally moved by it, so it's not something I can miss.

To be unable to be moved by something like Beethoven's 9th or Mozart's Requiem would truly be a tragedy.

I'm sorry for your loss, sir.
People born deaf do not always have the same level of appreciation of sounds/music that most people with functional hearing do.

I was born hearing, but became deaf before age of 4. Science says people generally don't retain memories from before 4 years of age (I disagree, particularly on language, sounds, colors, names and such).

Honestly it's not a loss, because I never had it. I can listen to stuff like that and appreciate the skill and complexity, and it might even be enjoyable to some degree, but I can't even imagine being emotionally moved by it, so it's not something I can miss.
Is it specific to music or are you affected by film or art at all? If you watch something that most would consider emotionally engaging, say Call of the Wild or Old Yeller, does it affect you in any way or are you largely indifferent and unaffected?

Just curious. Here, have a seat on that couch and I'll get my spectacles, pencil, and notepad. 😉

Is it specific to music or are you affected by film or art at all? If you watch something that most would consider emotionally engaging, say Call of the Wild or Old Yeller, does it affect you in any way or are you largely indifferent and unaffected?

Just curious. Here, have a seat on that couch and I'll get my spectacles, pencil, and notepad. 😉
Art has little effect on me; I can't remember a time that I've ever looked at a piece of art and really felt anything. I just figured that was fairly normal though, for "regular people" who aren't "artsy fartsy". Again, I can appreciate complexity and skill, but I'm not terribly artistic. My son on the other hand, loves art.

Yeah I can get emotional watching movies, much more so as I get older. Nowadays I'll see something that wouldn't have bothered me in the slightest when I was younger, and my eyes will start leaking. They say that's pretty normal, just part of life.

The reason I posted this thread was because it was a "lightbulb moment" for me the other day when I read that first paragraph about "musical anhedonia". It explained some things about myself. It's really no big deal. I'm not broken nor do I need counseling. It's just something I've always felt a little bad about; I could never understand why people went to concerts and such. Now I think I understand.

Like the neutered dog that's fat and happy because he has no clue what he's missing…. yeah that's a terrible analogy. Fitting but terrible. :(

Now dance, that's another thing that suddenly makes sense now too. To me, dancing is utter foolishness, makes no sense whatsoever. It seems logical that dancing is strongly associated with music, and it makes sense that if I don't get music I won't understand dance.

One of my best friends has a teenage daughter the same age as my daughter, and he was telling me one time about taking her to a father-daughter dance, and how I should do that for my daughter too. I told him that that wasn't going to happen, because if he ever sees me dancing, it's time to call an exorcist…

If you don't have it already, you'd LOVE tinnitus!
OMG… He said tinnitus…. OMG :s0081::s0081::s0081:
I always hear that crap 24/7…

And it's all because of this… :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

C3FCECAE-44CC-4982-A0A3-C37FD0C37250.png

Stuff like this interests me. The inner workings of the human brain are miraculous. It doesn't take much for something to be slightly askew, and you often hear stories of someone with some kind of mental glitch, who has a particular strength in another area.

Here's another weird one- I don't remember colors. I'm not colorblind, but my memory sure seems to be. My wife will be referring to someone or something, like a person wearing a blue shirt or driving a green car, and I might remember the person or car, but absolutely no memory of color, unless it's something that really stuck out. I can barely remember what color my own house is unless I'm standing right in front of it. Just another weird glitch, a quirk of the brain.

Maybe there's a fancy name for that too! :)
I don't remember the colors of peoples hair, eyes, clothes. houses, or cars. In fact, I buy only garments that are some shade of green or blue because that way they can be worn in any combo without clashing. And I can mix them all together in the wash and they still will be some shade of green or blue. Except socks. I get grey socks. They don't bleed color enough to alter my greens and blues, and will still look grey if dyed a little bit green or blue.

The aphantasia researchers have also found and studied people with hyperphantasia, people who have much more ability to form mental images than average. By analogy, I must be hyperhedonic for music. Just a few bars of certain pieces of music played by viruosa musicians on world class instruments in a room with great acoustics and a great recording, and from quality speakers and I get goosebumps and tears run down my face. Not actual crying. Just tears.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews