JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
From Wikipedia: "Musical anhedonia is a neurological condition characterized by an inability to derive pleasure from music."
It affects between 3% and 5% of the population, so it's apparently more common than I thought.

"For those who experience "musical anhedonia," listening to a song is halfway between boring and distracting—and their brain activity reflects that."

It's nice to finally realize that I'm not the only one. I realize and can appreciate that music is important to most people, and I'm probably missing out on something really good in life, but I don't think you can really miss something that you've never experienced. I've had friends drag me to concerts two or three times when I was younger, a terrible experience every time, loud and obnoxious, hated every minute of it. I've felt bad about that, thinking maybe I just didn't try hard enough to appreciate music, or maybe I'm just cold and uncaring as I was once told when I said I wasn't into music. At least now I know.

There's a whole word for it?? :s0140:

I wonder what the word is for the neurological condition for people that can't appreciate or derive pleasure from abstract art?

Is there one for people that are annoyed and can't derive pleasure from wearing briefs... only boxers? I think I have that one, too!!

It's good to know those aren't really just personal preferences but neurological conditions that are beyond my control. I feel much better now. :s0155:

From Wikipedia: "Musical anhedonia is a neurological condition characterized by an inability to derive pleasure from music."
It affects between 3% and 5% of the population, so it's apparently more common than I thought.

"For those who experience "musical anhedonia," listening to a song is halfway between boring and distracting—and their brain activity reflects that."

It's nice to finally realize that I'm not the only one. I realize and can appreciate that music is important to most people, and I'm probably missing out on something really good in life, but I don't think you can really miss something that you've never experienced. I've had friends drag me to concerts two or three times when I was younger, a terrible experience every time, loud and obnoxious, hated every minute of it. I've felt bad about that, thinking maybe I just didn't try hard enough to appreciate music, or maybe I'm just cold and uncaring as I was once told when I said I wasn't into music. At least now I know.
Well, it's obvious you've only experienced mumble-rap, which was invented by (and for) black guys who can't sing.

There's a whole word for it?? :s0140:

I wonder what the word is for the neurological condition for people that can't appreciate or derive pleasure from abstract art?

Is there one for people that are annoyed and can't derive pleasure from wearing briefs... only boxers? I think I have that one, too!!

It's good to know those aren't really just personal preferences but neurological conditions that are beyond my control. I feel much better now. :s0155:
aps,840x830,small,transparent-pad,1000x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

Oddly enough, it does make me feel a little better knowing that it's not just a weird personal preference, and yes, I've experienced all types of music, some I can appreciate a lot more than others, but nothing that inspires me, ever, in my life. And yes, I know some of you will ridicule me for that, but I'm used to it by now.

My wife and kids all love music, so I'm glad I didn't pass it on. To me, music is mostly just obnoxious noise. That is NOT a judgement call, so music lovers don't have to get upset with me.

This question actually breaks down further into its' own Sub-Categories:

"Briefs" break down into cotton versus polyesters.

Clearly IMHO, the Cotton (such as Kirkland) is greater on the Comfort Scale versus Polyester (Such as PUMA) which causes Untold Grief, Itching, and Homocidal and Suicidal Thoughts as a Result.

Clearly IMHO, the Cotton (such as Kirkland) is greater on the Comfort Scale versus Polyester (Such as PUMA) which causes Untold Grief, Itching, and Homocidal and Suicidal Thoughts as a Result.
Tell me more about your.... Itches...

Okay.

But TRY THIS:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnXK2OP7V2A&list=RDGBVwPbjFAoA&index=7&ab_channel=SamMyers-Topic

bubblegum, next year legislators in Sacramento, Salem, and Olympia will be adding "polyester briefs" to the bubbleguming RED FLAG List!

I can appreciate good music and recognize talent, but really it does nothing deeper for me. Even the best music that's not obnoxious noise, I can take it or leave it. It's always been that way for me. I would be perfectly content living in a world without music. My wife says that's sad, but I don't know any different. How can I? She says it's like a neutered dog not knowing what he's missing. He's fat and happy and couldn't care less.

On extremely rare occasion something musical will strike my fancy out of the blue and I'll actually like it. It's surprising when it happens because it's so rare and unpredictable, and typically something that is really not me.

I'm going to really regret starting this thread, aren't I...

I can appreciate good music and recognize talent, but really it does nothing deeper for me. Even the best music that's not obnoxious noise, I can take it or leave it. It's always been that way for me. I would be perfectly content living in a world without music. My wife says that's sad, but I don't know any different. How can I? She says it's like a neutered dog not knowing what he's missing. He's fat and happy and couldn't care less.

On extremely rare occasion something musical will strike my fancy out of the blue and I'll actually like it. It's surprising when it happens because it's so rare and unpredictable, and typically something that is really not me.

I'm going to really regret starting this thread, aren't I...
OK so maybe you're just Analytical, instead of Artistic. Ever thought of that?

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top