JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Which load data would you trust I've loaded afew up to 76.0 gr and been fine so far... but Barnes states that's the minimum load that's one heck of a difference from hodgdons... any Insight would be nice...would just keep working up the latter 2 find the load for my rifle but don't want 2 keep burning through projectiles... but on the other hand i might just have 2 but figured i would at least ask here maybe someone knows...rifle I'm using for this is a Weatherby mark V 300 wby mag...Thank you for your time...

1000005135.jpg 1000005134.jpg

I dont know the answer but I can tell you how I would aproach it. I would start out at 76 grains as it is high on one load but low on the other, splitting the difference. You might want to use a third resource for a sanity check. I load 180g partitions with 7828. To me using such a light bullet defeats the purpose of the 300 weatherby - guess thats just me.

any Insight would be nice...would just keep working up the latter 2 find the load for my rifle but don't want 2 keep burning through projectiles... but on the other hand i might just have 2
I would pick the low one and run a pressure ladder in .5gn increments, 1rd ea. till you find max. Should not be very many rounds.

Spreer say 74gr min; 78gr max
Hornady says 66.3gr min; 80.4gr max
This is their start/max numbers for 150gr bullets, I'd say find the average start/max weights and go from there

I dont know the answer but I can tell you how I would aproach it. I would start out at 76 grains as it is high on one load but low on the other, splitting the difference. You might want to use a third resource for a sanity check. I load 180g partitions with 7828. To me using such a light bullet defeats the purpose of the 300 weatherby - guess thats just me.
Yep, a 150 gr bullet is not what a 300 Weatherby was made for.
You can do it, but you might as well use a .308
180gr - 200gr can be driven to very nice speeds by a 300 Weatherby.
That's the sweet spot.

Screen-Shot-03-28-24-at-06-20-PM.png

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews