JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I assumed that it also served as a wear part, taking the brunt of the heat and pressure, but it looks like I've been wrong once already in this thread. So maybe it's just a break for when your suppressor is on another gun.
Whether or not brakes actually reduce suppressor erosion or not, I can't say. I definitely can say I've seen where flash hiders seem to concentrate wear on the spaces between the prongs at the blast baffle face so I'm of the belief that even if brakes don't improve service life, they certainly aren't reducing it

1714021170367.png

Does a brake inside a suppressor really do anything?

I only have the 1 brake that came with my suppressor and it lives on a 6.5 Grendel. Every other rifle is either direct thread (30-06) or flash hider (5.56, 308, 30-30, 6.5CM)
Honestly I have never tried a side by side comparison myself. My NFA shop told me it made a small but noticeable difference, and the physics checks out, so I went with their advice to run a break in all my cans. I doubt I will ever wear a can out, but a break is also supposed to help with that issue too.

Yes, the break is not as effective inside a can as it would be in the open air, but it still does redirect blast in the intended direction inside the can so it still has some effect. Couple this with redirecting a significant chunk of those gasses away from the blast baffle and I can see how it can help with lifespan too.

Maybe I will not loctight my other 308 barrel so I can use it to test various other muzzle devices and I can report back. I would not hold my breath for those tests though, as I am having a hard enough time finding the time to do all the shooting I want to do.

Honestly I have never tried a side by side comparison myself. My NFA shop told me it made a small but noticeable difference, and the physics checks out, so I went with their advice to run a break in all my cans. I doubt I will ever wear a can out, but a break is also supposed to help with that issue too.

Yes, the break is not as effective inside a can as it would be in the open air, but it still does redirect blast in the intended direction inside the can so it still has some effect. Couple this with redirecting a significant chunk of those gasses away from the blast baffle and I can see how it can help with lifespan too.

Maybe I will not loctight my other 308 barrel so I can use it to test various other muzzle devices and I can report back. I would not hold my breath for those tests though, as I am having a hard enough time finding the time to do all the shooting I want to do.
b-r-a-k-e

Nitpick aside, I look forward to any testing you decide to do.

Whether or not brakes actually reduce suppressor erosion or not, I can't say. I definitely can say I've seen where flash hiders seem to concentrate wear on the spaces between the prongs at the blast baffle face so I'm of the belief that even if brakes don't improve service life, they certainly aren't reducing it

View attachment 1869493
I think I'll still take any minor bit of extra wear to not have to spend my bubblegumming life bubblegumming bubblegum with timing a bubblegumm brake

I don't think they are? Doesn't the PTR 91 have one? I know that some tri-lug adapters are rated for pistol only, but as far as I know the mount itself can be used for anything. Am I understanding that wrong?

Personally I use rocksett and only torque to about 30 ft/lbs. I found that higher torques can affect accuracy. In extreme instances you can look down the barrel and see a slight ring of deformation from a highly torqued muzzle device. This in my experience has a very negative affect on accuracy. Of course there are many variables so as always, ymmv.

I'm suppressor ignorant. But I do kinda understand muzzle design. The point is to direct the gas upward to reduce recoil right? So I don't understand what the point of having that on a rifle that has a can installed..or am I missing something?

I'm suppressor ignorant. But I do kinda understand muzzle design. The point is to direct the gas upward to reduce recoil right? So I don't understand what the point of having that on a rifle that has a can installed..or am I missing something?
The way suppressors reduce noise levels is by delaying the gas exiting the muzzle / suppressor and spreading the exit out over a longer time allowing the gas to cool, having a break that moves gas off the bore axis *should* help with that. It turns out suppressor design is as much art (and magic!) as it is science and a break/suppressor combination that works great on one firearm and caliber may perform worse on another, or make no discernible difference, or even make things a bit worse. But on a 308 most likely shooting supersonic rounds it's main function, as others have pointed out, is as a user replaceable 'sacrificial baffle' that will help extend the service life of the suppressor

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top