JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi there, I am new to the community so just starting a new thread and hoping to see if there are many others hand loading for 7mm PRC and if so, maybe post what your results have been as far as accuracy and terminal performance on game. I am going spring bear hunting very soon and I am torn on which cartridge to take between 6.5CM and the new 7mm PRC. Thanks

Hi there, I am new to the community so just starting a new thread and hoping to see if there are many others hand loading for 7mm PRC and if so, maybe post what your results have been as far as accuracy and terminal performance on game. I am going spring bear hunting very soon and I am torn on which cartridge to take between 6.5CM and the new 7mm PRC. Thanks
You probably gonna take em both!

Welcome,
Hard to give any advice without knowing more about the rifle...
I don't use any PRC anything but I've built many 7mm rifles that move bullets faster and slower than the prc.
For most larger/tougher animals I would recommend heavy bullets if you have the twist for it. Also stay away from ballistic tip types, they can be explosive with little penetration...

Welcome,
Hard to give any advice without knowing more about the rifle...
I don't use any PRC anything but I've built many 7mm rifles that move bullets faster and slower than the prc.
For most larger/tougher animals I would recommend heavy bullets if you have the twist for it. Also stay away from ballistic tip types, they can be explosive with little penetration...
The rifle is a Remington 700 7mm PRC with a 1:8 twist, 26" barrel. 67 grains of RL26 is pushing a 175 eldx at about 2950 fps.

The other rifle I was considering taking is a Tikka T3X chambered in 6.5CM. 1:8 twist, 24" barrel. My load for this rifle is a 140 Accubond over 42 grains of H4350 at about 2750 fps.

I agree on the tougher bullet selection for penetration reasons. I just haven't been able to get the PRC to shoot the bonded bullets very well yet.

I appreciate your input and feedback.

The rifle is a Remington 700 7mm PRC with a 1:8 twist, 26" barrel. 67 grains of RL26 is pushing a 175 eldx at about 2950 fps.

The other rifle I was considering taking is a Tikka T3X chambered in 6.5CM. 1:8 twist, 24" barrel. My load for this rifle is a 140 Accubond over 42 grains of H4350 at about 2750 fps.

I agree on the tougher bullet selection for penetration reasons. I just haven't been able to get the PRC to shoot the bonded bullets very well yet.

I appreciate your input and feedback.
I've had experience with both rifle brands, newer Remington's seem to be kinda crappy for accuracy. Several Tikkas shot great. That ELDX bullet is pretty good but at that speed... 6.5 Creed will definitely do for a bear, shot placement? How great a shot under stress are you? The Tikka is definitely more handy/ maneuverable... If skills are up to par I'd go with the 6.5

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top