JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

6.5PRC vs 280AI

• 6.5PRC

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • 280AI

Votes: 10 58.8%

• Total voters
Got to say, not too shabby. Took the rifle out today, don't have any 280AI load yet but wanted to break in the barrel and shoot a group and wasn't expecting much. If it shot <2MOA I would be happy, I had some left over 280REM loads so I fireformed the brass while sighting in and doing the break in. Last 5 I shot for group, not to bad being brass that isn't filling the chamber and not designed for the barrel. 0.8" 5 shot group at 100yds, I'm guessing with the correct load this will be a 1/2MOA gun.

Ohhh and the Sig scope mounts I bought for this wouldn't come apart from out of the package, so I had to throw some cheap extra high mounts on it just to get an optic on it.

I think it will be a shooter.

1715379441844.png

1715379326079.png

Last 5 I shot for group, not to bad being brass that isn't filling the chamber and not designed for the barrel. 0.8" 5 shot group at 100yds
That's a really nice group. Ive wondered if all other things are consistent and equal the expanding brass to fireform isn't a huge impact on group size?

If I read your target note as an elevation, our range is at 1250 feet elevation.

That's a really nice group. Ive wondered if all other things are consistent and equal the expanding brass to fireform isn't a huge impact on group size?

If I read your target note as an elevation, our range is at 1250 feet elevation.
We will see, my dad is coming next weekend and taking 2 of my rifles back to his place (retired and hobby is developing loads), so he will find a load and a bullet to match the barrel. He thinks (and has been proven right) that he can take a factory load and cut that group size in <half with hand loads. If he gets under 1/2 MOA I will be very happy. I have ordered Nosler and Peterson brass for him to try. I would love to be able to do this, 4 kids and a job mean I can't spend the time I should.

Your right, I was using OnX and I think it has the altitude of my house.

I have ordered Nosler and Peterson brass for him to try. I would love to be able to do this, 4 kids and a job mean I can't spend the time I should.
Load Dev can be a chore when busy, Im in the same boat. Theres times its taken me weeks to get to the range just to fire a seating depth test. Thankfully, I should be final with my 280ai load now.
Forgive my OCD on the altitude... Im not even certain ~250feet elevation even makes any difference. :p

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top