JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

6.5PRC vs 280AI

• 6.5PRC

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • 280AI

Votes: 10 58.8%

• Total voters
Got to say, not too shabby. Took the rifle out today, don't have any 280AI load yet but wanted to break in the barrel and shoot a group and wasn't expecting much. If it shot <2MOA I would be happy, I had some left over 280REM loads so I fireformed the brass while sighting in and doing the break in. Last 5 I shot for group, not to bad being brass that isn't filling the chamber and not designed for the barrel. 0.8" 5 shot group at 100yds, I'm guessing with the correct load this will be a 1/2MOA gun.

Ohhh and the Sig scope mounts I bought for this wouldn't come apart from out of the package, so I had to throw some cheap extra high mounts on it just to get an optic on it.

I think it will be a shooter.

1715379441844.png

1715379326079.png

Last 5 I shot for group, not to bad being brass that isn't filling the chamber and not designed for the barrel. 0.8" 5 shot group at 100yds
That's a really nice group. Ive wondered if all other things are consistent and equal the expanding brass to fireform isn't a huge impact on group size?

If I read your target note as an elevation, our range is at 1250 feet elevation.

That's a really nice group. Ive wondered if all other things are consistent and equal the expanding brass to fireform isn't a huge impact on group size?

If I read your target note as an elevation, our range is at 1250 feet elevation.
We will see, my dad is coming next weekend and taking 2 of my rifles back to his place (retired and hobby is developing loads), so he will find a load and a bullet to match the barrel. He thinks (and has been proven right) that he can take a factory load and cut that group size in <half with hand loads. If he gets under 1/2 MOA I will be very happy. I have ordered Nosler and Peterson brass for him to try. I would love to be able to do this, 4 kids and a job mean I can't spend the time I should.

Your right, I was using OnX and I think it has the altitude of my house.

I have ordered Nosler and Peterson brass for him to try. I would love to be able to do this, 4 kids and a job mean I can't spend the time I should.
Load Dev can be a chore when busy, Im in the same boat. Theres times its taken me weeks to get to the range just to fire a seating depth test. Thankfully, I should be final with my 280ai load now.
Forgive my OCD on the altitude... Im not even certain ~250feet elevation even makes any difference. :p

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
May 26, 2024 Oregon Arms Collectors
Portland, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top