JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Question 1: Why hasn't the arms industry standardized on manufacturing 3 1/2" chambers on nearly all shotguns?

Perhaps it's a little more expensive to manufacture given the likely increased chamber pressures induced by larger loads, but wouldn't you pay a fraction more to be able to load nearly any 12G load (factory-loaded)? I've been sitting on a box of 3 1/2" shells and always wished I could experience them. Also, who doesn't want the ability to send fatty loads down range generally? I know it's not abnormal to fire 2 3/4" out of three inch chambers, or even Aguila mini shells out of 3" chambers - what's the worst that could go wrong with firing a mini-shell in a 3 1/2" chamber?

Question 2: If there aren't going to be 3 1/2" chambered guns, why not more 10G?

Question 3: Would you prefer a 10G shotgun or a 12G w/ 3 1/2" chamber?

I want both but would prefer the 12G

Why not chamber everything that was meant to fire .38 special in .357 maximum? Wouldn't it be great if you could fire any .357 family cartridge out of your j frame?

See how ridiculous that sounds? 3 1/2 guns were meant for 3 1/2 loads. Everything about them is a little bit longer, a little bit sturdier and therefore a little bit heavier.

Answering question 2: they don't make more 10 gauge guns because there isn't much 10 gauge demand. If the US military adopted 10 gauge, maybe there would be, but they didn't say there isn't. A 3" 12 gauge is more than enough for just about about situation.

Answer for question 3: I would prefer the one with more readily available ammo. That means 12 gauge over anything else regardless of length of chamber.

Last Edited:
Why not chamber everything that was meant to fire .38 special in .357 maximum? Wouldn't it be great if you could fire any .357 family cartridge out of your j frame?

See how ridiculous that sounds? 3 1/2 guns were meant for 3 1/2 loads. Everything about them is a little bit longer, a little bit sturdier and therefore a little bit heavier.

Answering question 2: they don't make more 10 gauge guns because there isn't much 10 gauge demand. If the US military adopted 10 gauge, maybe there would be, but they didn't say there isn't. A 3" 12 gauge is more than enough for just about about situation.

Answer for question 3: I would prefer the one with more readily available ammo. That means 12 gauge over anything else regardless of length of chamber.
I don't like eating duck either.

Like many things firearm related.....
At times something that fits a specific need is required....like a 3 1/2 loading in a shotgun chamber / cartridge.
However...that is a specific need.

Firearm companies want to make money...
Which means making firearms that have a broad usage range so they can sell lots of firearms , that fill many roles...
Rather than a few that fit a specific need or role.

As for me...
I don't need a shotgun to be able to shoot 3 1/2 loadings or even 3 inch loadings....
I mostly use my shotguns for small game and grouse...so those loads will be too much and or wasted for my type of hunting and shooting.
For small game and grouse...a light weight , easy to carry , point and shoot shotgun is needed.
Which is a specific need...so the shotguns that I like are also few and far between.
Andy

Last Edited:
Sounds like to me you need a new gun or two, you know for the experience. It wouldn''t be the first time someone bought a box of shells and then a gun to shoot them in. For me a 3" 12 gauge has been all I need for what I do. In fact most of my shotgunning is done with low base 2 3/4" loads at the local range. I'm only allowed no bigger than 1 1/8 oz loads of no bigger than 7 1/2 shot. So my answer to why not every shotgun being a 3 1/2 12 ga or 10 ga is it's simply not needed. Fun to shoot, sure maybe for a round or two but to shoot a box of ammo up at a time, no thanks.

What practical use would it be used for?

Hunting? Small varmints, waterfowl or upland birds wouldn't require that much energy. 12ga is adequate for HD considering the typical range. If hunting geese or turkey, I can see specialty use but not really widespread. You can always build a punt gun if you're adventurous.

Personally, I'm thankful they don't. Larger reciver, heavier, more expensive, etc, etc. I've fired 3 1/2" shells through a Benelli Nova, and it was "unpleasant". Sorta like, when I want to shoot 30 cal, I choose .308 instead of .300 RUM. I think when manufacturers started chambering for 3" shells, they had to make few, if any, modifications to their 2 3/4" receivers. 3 1/2" receivers are a different animal though.

My experience has been that folks that think they need to be shooting 3.5" shells at ducks and geese really just need to learn more patience. An old fella once told me not to shoot at a bird until you could plainly see it's eyes. That bit of advice has worked well.

Seems to me the demand isn't there for it. For certain hunting applications sure but the vast majority don't shoot 3 1/2" shells from what I've seen. 10 gauge used to be popular back in the day and you can find old 10 gauge SxS guns fairly cheap. Now it's more of a niche weapon cuz there just isn't the demand.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads