JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Normally brake cleaners are organochlorides.

Organo is in the name, so they are perfectly fine....

/nr

Edit, adding: yup, they are pretty nasty. However all things considered do a great job de-greasing. Used wisely, their use you would use (minimally) makes up for any other time/expense/effort you would otherwise expend accomplishing the same goal. Clean parts.

Think of it as your own personal carbon footprint offset bank.
Do you rinse it with water afterwards then air clean it before lubing?
Brake cleaner "mostly" dissolves in water...

Do you rinse it with water afterwards then air clean it before lubing?
Brake cleaner "mostly" dissolves in water...
No water. Patience & or patience plus air.

Always oil/lube any parts after using the stuff & it has dissipated. Because it has removed all oils.

Not sure really on using it on 10/22 mags is a great idea. Try not to get the stuff on plastics. Maybe 10/22 mags are "special" (they do not appear to be "special", to me). YMMV.

Members on Ruger recommend CRC electronic cleaner as a magazine cleaner/degreaser. Plastic safe. They don't say if they lube after or not. Some disassemble & use CRC.

Some do not disassemble. Just shoot it in the mags a few seconds & dry.

Worth a try & likely a better carbon footprint.

May want to have a dry lube handy as a just in case. Hornady one shot or something?

Last Edited:
Hey everyone. I am looking to build (or buy) a target 10/22. I say buy because I would be ok with picking up someone elses unused/under used project as a starting point for mine. I am looking at starting with a BRN-22 threaded barreled reciever and the parts kit that includes the BX trigger. I am curious what others have done and what their experiences are. I have a standard 10/22 already but I would rather keep it as a complete rifle for the kids and what not.

Anyway, I am looking for advice on other parts or key parts that are recommended. I know Volquartzen makes a ton of stuff as does Tac-sol but am curious what people have used or what the key elements of the 10/22 are for accuracy. The tirggers alone are upwards of $300 from several well known manufacturers. I am sure I would be plenty happy with any of them, but I'm trying not to blow a ton of cash on this project. Just looking to put together a cool, not your average 10/22 for plinking and something the kids can grow into.

Also if anyone has any sites for reference I would appreciate that as well. I dont mind digging around, but if anyone has some good resources it would be appreciated.

Thanks!
I have a 10-22 "sleeper".
I polished some innards, glass bedded the barrel, and action, and installed a Timney trigger.
I would have had Brimstone do the trigger, but at the time, I did not want to wait.
CCI sv and Eley standard will do dime size groups or less, at 50 yds.
I have not had any high end ammo to try yet.
👍👍
Best,
Gary

No water. Patience & or patience plus air.

Always oil/lube any parts after using the stuff & it has dissipated. Because it has removed all oils.

Not sure really on using it on 10/22 mags is a great idea........
I us a dry lube on the 10/22 mags. But I did not spray it. I just applied it using cotton buds on the leaf lets. Besides that a few minor modification on the Ruger itself. After the small improvements, My regular stove pipe and jam on 6 bx-25 magazine and 1 to rounder can be as less as 2 to 3. But I have to make sure that I'm only loaded 23 on a 25 round magazine.
... BTW, I did mention in the other threading I just bought a winchester wildcat semi auto rifle. Its going 4 days now and the BC it still not clear. This same thing happen last 2 weeks ago when I bough the WMP. Besides I don't remember killing anyone, there must be something going on in the BC processing. I'm thoroughly okay with if what they are trying to do is screen applicants thoroughly... :s0036:

Barrel and receiver don't need to be a matching set. It's a very forgiving setup.
Just don't be removing and reattaching excessively. This is why the hole in receiver is a good idea.
Hey man.... I was thinking if my Walther WMP don't work out after I get it back from the factory, I'll just get a refund and I'll just stay with the 22LR Like a Ruger 10/22 receiver with a long and short take down barrel. I just want to make a handgun with a little more power than my Taurus TX-22 (22LR handgun). Do you think that cam be done the right way?

Hey man.... I was thinking if my Walther WMP don't work out after I get it back from the factory, I'll just get a refund and I'll just stay with the 22LR Like a Ruger 10/22 receiver with a long and short take down barrel. I just want a little more power than my Taurus TX-22 (22LR handgun) Do you think that cam be done the right way?
Charger or BRN-22 receiver, NEVER one that started life as a marked Ruger 10/22 rifle. Pistol to Rifle is kosher, Rifle to Pistol is No Bueno with the mommypoppers, puppyshooters and kiddiescorchers.

Here's the Build Thread on mine. https://www.northwestfirearms.com/t...ble-tell-me-why-im-nucking-futs.392601/page-2

Oh wow.. That's a start. Thanks!
May I ask why?
Ask the jackbooted jackoffs at ATF. In a nutshell, in their eyes once it's first completed as a rifle it is forevermore a rifle and even if that receiver can no longer accept a stock any barrel under 16" becomes NFA SBR. Sold as a stripped receiver or pistol, it can go back and forth - look up the Thompson/Center Contender where some were sold as pistol/rifle "convertibles" and that's the precedent we're using, along with similar on AR15 pistols.

Ask the jackbooted jackoffs at ATF. In a nutshell, in their eyes once it's first completed as a rifle it is forevermore a rifle and even if that receiver can no longer accept a stock any barrel under 16" becomes NFA SBR. Sold as a stripped receiver or pistol, it can go back and forth - look up the Thompson/Center Contender where some were sold as pistol/rifle "convertibles" and that's the precedent we're using, along with similar on AR15 pistols.
Okay and thank you for letting me know. I have another 10/22 rifle that I never even fired yet. I might have to sell that "If" the Walther doesnt work out. But in the other hand and if then, the good news is I have found so many good rounds of 22LR and I manage to get piles of them. So all I need now is a gun... :s0006::s0140:

For my retirement I bought myself my ultimate 10/22, although my 1980 Marlin lever action 22 is my workhorse for getting rid of pests, with a fixed 3x wide angle Weaver scope.

I started with a Volquartsen Superlite, added a Grey Birch stock, Steiner 1x4 scope, green laser, tactical light, and muzzle break. I've got a ton of CCI Stingers, and it's a blast to shoot.

For my retirement I bought myself my ultimate 10/22, although my 1980 Marlin lever action 22 is my workhorse for getting rid of pests, with a fixed 3x wide angle Weaver scope.

I started with a Volquartsen Superlite, added a Grey Birch stock, Steiner 1x4 scope, green laser, tactical light, and muzzle break. I've got a ton of CCI Stingers, and it's a blast to shoot.
Ya might want to check with VQ in regards to using Stingers in that gun.
Could void warranty.
Best,
Gary

Stingers are a mystery, CCI markets them for any 22lr but some rifle manufacturers state not to use them because they are a longer case and might stick in the chamber. The custom barrel on my Ruger 10/22 says not to use them (they also sell barrels just for Stinger chambers). Rugers 10/22 instruction manual says not to use them on their target and tactical rifles "only".

1711775696074.png

Thanks for the heads up. I will have to research that. The CCI Stingers aren't that accurate anyway. I usually use them in my pistols.
Ya might want to check with VQ in regards to using Stingers in that gun.
Could void warranty.
Best,
Gary
So I just read in a really old post from 2002 that Ruger also recommended that you NOT use CCI Stingers in their Mark II pistols. Apparently it has to do with how long the Stinger case is, and the gun's chambers are cut too short.

I would think Volquartsen would have handled that problem by now, but I haven't found anything yet about it.

Match chamber 22 barrels aren't tolerant of stingers. Some other magazine fed 22s don't cycle them well either.
So I looked up my barrel, and it is a matched barrel. "The THM tension barrel consists of a special taper honed match barrel and chamber."

I only shot a few Stingers through it, with no cycling problems. I guess I won't do that again.

When I fired the stinger on an Armscor TM22 rifle. In a few rounds it was cycling well but and felt like the velocity was too much for that particular rifle. When I move to mini mag, its just perfect. It feels like I can fire it all day long without messing up my rifle.
I'll still use the stingers for a just in case situation.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top