JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey everyone. I am looking to build (or buy) a target 10/22. I say buy because I would be ok with picking up someone elses unused/under used project as a starting point for mine. I am looking at starting with a BRN-22 threaded barreled reciever and the parts kit that includes the BX trigger. I am curious what others have done and what their experiences are. I have a standard 10/22 already but I would rather keep it as a complete rifle for the kids and what not.

Anyway, I am looking for advice on other parts or key parts that are recommended. I know Volquartzen makes a ton of stuff as does Tac-sol but am curious what people have used or what the key elements of the 10/22 are for accuracy. The tirggers alone are upwards of $300 from several well known manufacturers. I am sure I would be plenty happy with any of them, but I'm trying not to blow a ton of cash on this project. Just looking to put together a cool, not your average 10/22 for plinking and something the kids can grow into.

Also if anyone has any sites for reference I would appreciate that as well. I dont mind digging around, but if anyone has some good resources it would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Best trigger on the market in my opinion is the Kidd. I'd say it's better than the Volquartzen.

The Volquartzen bolt however is the best bolt on the market.

There are two main twist rates these days for the 10-22. Get the faster 1-9 vs the older 1-16.

As for links:

Tactical Innovations

10/22® and Ruger® 10/22® aftermarket trigger, barrel and parts by KIDD Innovative Design

TANDEMKROSS

Some good info for helping pick a barrel.

.22LR Chamber Dimensions:

Type --------- Length ----- Mouth Dia. --- Throat Dia. --- Taper @ Throat

Sporting ----- 0.7751" ------ 0.2307" ------ 0.2270"

Bentz -------- 0.6900" ------ 0.2270" ------ 0.2255" ------ 1.5° Taper

Match -------- 0.6876" ------ 0.2267" ------ 0.2248"

Win 52-D ---- 0.5800" ------ 0.2278" ------ 0.2248" ------ 2.0° Taper

The "Ruger" 10/22 factory chamber is the "Sporting" chamber above.
The "Bentz" chamber is the 'match' chamber for semi-autos.
The "Match" chamber is for bolt actions.
The "Win M52-D" is a bolt action target rifle.

.22 Long Rifle Headspace: .0425" GO // .045" NO-GO

Here's a good place to get ideas
Ruger 10/22 - RimfireCentral.com Forums
Ultimate 10/22 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

You have to decide what your budget is. I didn't want to spend too much money so I went with a
pqJWV6y.jpg
mez1dNM.jpg

EDIT: one thing I forgot to mention. When I sighted in the scope I found out that even with maximum elevation it was shooting low. It turns out it is a common problem with some 10/22s 10/22 shooting low. - RimfireCentral.com Forums
I fixed by shimming the rear of the top rail https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...ms-sku396100860-6883-17400.aspx?sku=396100860

Last Edited:
Yeah but then it's ka-chink-pew breathe, ka-chink-pew breathe, ka-chink-pew breathe instead of pew-pew-pew-pew-pew-pew-pew-pew-pew/ Mt. Dew / pew-pew-pew......

Yeah but pew pew pew isnt very accurate anyways. 10/22's are a lot of fun but for accuracy you need to take your time a little bit. And if you are going to do that bolt actions shine.

The heart of any good & accurate .22 rimfire rifle is in the barrel. Tony Kidd guarantees that his barrels will shoot ½ groups at 50 yards. So, 10/22's, and clones, with a good barrel and trigger will shoot killer groups:

J37vUDdl.jpg

Thread resurrection for 10/22 build.
Trying to get am idea in building a 10/22 or similar 22LR improved semi-automatic.
Currently I have a Ruger Talo 31172 all factory stock. I am trying to get an idea in building a similar and improved rifle for my personal preference. So far this is what I know and learned along the way.

1. A semi-auto sport rifle (not competition) that I can use on 20 to 150 yards target .
2. Looking at a bull barrel .920 16 to 18 inch (not tapered) that is lightweight. Tactical Solutions 15 ounce??? How reliable is it on street sports purpose (not completion) (not looking on bolt action rifle accuracy but close to it)
3. Using the BX-25 magazine on 10/22, stove piping can be minimized by making sure the magazine is inserted or fits closely like a glove. I made a few (temporary) changes in my magazine and it vastly improved. I was thinking if there is a 10/22 receiver that I can acquire that has a magazine housing so when I insert the magazine, it will have less rocking frontal and side to side.
4. Chamber has to have an easy access for light cleaning. Like a portal window at the back side.
5. I am thoroughly happy with the "feel" of the BX trigger . The only thing I'm not digging are the plastic parts especially when I saw the pin for the charger lock.
-I have no idea what the stock is yet-
1707926481438.jpeg

Trying to get am idea in building a 10/22 or similar 22LR improved semi-automatic.
Currently I have a Ruger Talo 31172 all factory stock. I am trying to get an idea in building a similar and improved rifle for my personal preference. So far this is what I know and learned along the way.

1. A semi-auto sport rifle (not competition) that I can use on 20 to 150 yards target .
2. Looking at a bull barrel .920 16 to 18 inch (not tapered) that is lightweight. Tactical Solutions 15 ounce??? How reliable is it on street sports purpose (not completion) (not looking on bolt action rifle accuracy but close to it)
3. Using the BX-25 magazine on 10/22, stove piping can be minimized by making sure the magazine is inserted or fits closely like a glove. I made a few (temporary) changes in my magazine and it vastly improved. I was thinking if there is a 10/22 receiver that I can acquire that has a magazine housing so when I insert the magazine, it will have less rocking frontal and side to side.
4. Chamber has to have an easy access for light cleaning. Like a portal window at the back side.
5. I am thoroughly happy with the "feel" of the BX trigger . The only thing I'm not digging are the plastic parts especially when I saw the pin for the charger lock.
View attachment 1822745
Kidd aka coolguyguns.

View attachment 1822745
Keep the one you have and build another from the ground up. A couple reciever options have a hole in the back for cleaning breach to muzzle, which is healthier overall. Barrels offering a match chamber might be more accurate, but will be more ammo sensitive ( OAL , bullet shape , excessive bullet lube). Barrel type will affect your choices of stock ( or chassis). Stock choice will affect some optics.
As stated above, the internals are the biggest investment in functional performance you're going to make.
And one little tidbit of advice. Buy up 10 round box magazines if you really want to just sit and shoot without aggravation. The rotary feed is just too reliable for me to worry about mag capacity in a rimfire situation.

Keep the one you have and build another from the ground up. A couple reciever options have a hole in the back for cleaning breach to muzzle, which is healthier overall. Barrels offering a match chamber might be more accurate, but will be more ammo sensitive ( OAL , bullet shape , excessive bullet lube). Barrel type will affect your choices of stock ( or chassis). Stock choice will affect some optics.
As stated above, the internals are the biggest investment in functional performance you're going to make.
And one little tidbit of advice. Buy up 10 round box magazines if you really want to just sit and shoot without aggravation. The rotary feed is just too reliable for me to worry about mag capacity in a rimfire situation.
Keep the one you have and build another from the ground up. A couple receiver options have a hole in the back for cleaning breach to muzzle, which is healthier overall.
***👍 What do you call this updated receiver and where can I fined one? What will be your ideal overall target weight for a tactical 16 to 18 inch rifle? Right now mine is 6.1 lbs. A bit heavier than my other 22LR rifle and could be lighter. The good news is I'm lifting weight exercise so I can comp the extra excessive weight and easier for me to handle now In other words it made me physically more stronger.***

Barrels offering a match chamber might be more accurate, but will be more ammo sensitive ( OAL , bullet shape , excessive bullet lube). Barrel type will affect your choices of stock ( or chassis). Stock choice will affect some optics.

*** So are you recommending that I should get the receiver and the barrel from the same company so I if anything comes I will have less headaches? What is your onion about a hard steel or stainless barrel inserted (pressed in) to a 6061 aluminum outer bull sized barrel to make it lighter? Are they reliable as far as will it maintain its straightness in the long run. And hopefully it will not "potato chipped" in long duration of time dues to any natural metal structure movement.***

*** Very well understood.. and what I am learning so far as I get the hang of it more.. its not really about the more I fire and wasting ammos, getting close to the targets and shooting in motion is what I really like to do. Yes the extended magazines helps alot too especially when its not jamming. So far I have 6 BX-25 (25 rounder) and lately I haven't even been using all of it anymore not like when I first started.
So this 10 round magazine you're recommending are the original Ruger equipment?***

Thanks..:s0006:

I bought a brn non railed receiver, green mountain bull threaded barrel , use a old metal ruger trigger housing, and some other goodies. A few things I noticed was the barrel to receiver fit was super tight, very ammo picky. I works flawless with cci other brands are a hit and miss. I really feel I need to shoot a couple boxes of ammo to break it in. The BRN receivers are way better then factory ones. I am using a old factory bolt so I have no info on whats better etc. It is very accurate about half inch at 50

So is its better if I get the barrel and the receiver from the same company? Does green mountain makes lightweight bull barrels?
I saw a demo (on video) with that barrel and they seem to be pretty accurate
Thanks

I was able to fire and compare my other traditional 10/22 last week with the tactical side by side. Th every first thing I notice is the trigger feels different from each other. There is less jolt on the bull barrel and can be more accurate. However the traditional 10/22 excels more in easier handling to its lesser weight. Maybe more for I haven't really spent much time with it. Overall both holds its own. Its just a matter of personal preference.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top