JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have some spare money to blow, and as the saying goes "you can't spend $100 better on anything else than a mosin".

I am looking at a 91/30 and a Chinese Type 53 (essentially a M44 mosin carbine built in China. all specs are identical except replace the cyrilic russian words on the receiver to chinese symbols).

They are of around the same price of $130.

91/30:
1926 Tula
Good bore
Wood furniture in good shape
Hex receiver

M44/Type 53:
1955 Chinese
Relatively poor bore. Some corrosion and needs a thorough cleaning
Wood furniture in good shape
Round receiver

I've owned a 91/30 in the past (sold it to contribute money into buying a PSL rifle), and have shot my friend's M44... so I'm familiar with both rifles.

I'd say I like the M44 better because it is basically a 91/30 that has been shortened by 10 inches, making it lighter and easier to shoot.

The only drawback is that the chinese type 53 / M44 has a pretty worn-out bore. This is probably why the price for it is low at around $130. most of the other Type 53s I see are around $200.

Don't get me wrong, I love the 91/30. But it's long and heavy. Sure, I shouldn't be whining about it since the M44 with the attached bayonet weighs just as much as a 91/30 without a bayonet.

If you were in my shoes, which one would you purchase? Or suggest to me another surplus battle rifle under $200.

Thanks in advance!

Tried to post a longer reply and my internet hiccuped... here is the condensed version.
I've got both of these rifles and a few more Mosins (otherwise I would keep my mouth/keyboard shut).
Get the:
91/30 for collecting and shooting
T53 for collecting.

I'd try to get them both for $200 (it's easier if they are from the same seller)

A M44 that usually has a nice bore and nice wood is going to have a different feel than a T53.
91/30 on a hex is a nice gun, the T53s are just good as part of a Mosin collection - they don't make for a day of shooting ("day" is relative in Mosin terms).
91/30 is my vote unless you are adding to a collection.
That's my opinion, I hope others shoot ideas your way as well.

Tried to post a longer reply and my internet hiccuped... here is the condensed version.
I've got both of these rifles and a few more Mosins (otherwise I would keep my mouth/keyboard shut).
Get the:
91/30 for collecting and shooting
T53 for collecting.

I'd try to get them both for $200 (it's easier if they are from the same seller)

A M44 that usually has a nice bore and nice wood is going to have a different feel than a T53.
91/30 on a hex is a nice gun, the T53s are just good as part of a Mosin collection - they don't make for a day of shooting ("day" is relative in Mosin terms).
91/30 is my vote unless you are adding to a collection.
That's my opinion, I hope others shoot ideas your way as well.

can you please expand on your reasons for why the type 53 isn't a good recreational shooting rifle?

Look real hard and haggle a little pick up a sks. I hardly think you want to lug around a mosin for a battle rifle. I know I know they did it in wwII and before, but they are heavy and awkward. Hardly a quick shooter. I would grab my 22 bore my mosins.

Given the parameters of the two rifles in question, I'd opt for the hex 91/30.

If you opt to look for another type of rifle under $200, I would recommend a Turk Mauser. Still inexpensive compared to other Mausers but every bit as good with an interesting history (the Ottoman Empire, Lawrence of Arabia, etc).

Keith

I've got a few of each and I can say that my shooter 91/30 can drive tacks out to 300m...after I've worked to get it that way.

My shooter M44 was a civil guard's rifle and was never shot prior to my purchase of it.

If I were plinking; 91/30. If I were out hunting; M44. The short barrel is still good for those 100m shots. Lighter too. A T53 is going to look like crap down the bore, almost without exception. They were just treated poorly and in poor conditions. Save for an M44, they're out there.

Why would you buy a poor bore condition M44 when Big 5 has post war specimens at near new condition? I have several of them and I swear they were only test fired at the factory

I have a few Mosins and am continuly upgradeing. I love a 'Good' M44's, and nice ones are starting to get harder to find and the overseas supply for them seems to be drying up at present for good ones. If you want a good shooter and are willing to spend more for quality Mosin go to a Sako or VKT.
Why have three so-so rifles when you can have one collectable that is maybe could earn over time more than what bank intrest earns nowdays?
Buy a good one, shoot it and take care of it!

I have brought a couple of real nice short Mosins here: <broken link removed>
Her inventory changes and is Finn orientated but she will have Izzy and Tula short rifles from time to time.

That's exactly what I do.. Not to long ago I brought three M44's from a importer and now have kept the best one of the three which is a 1946 Izzy.

I have sold a couple of real nice Mosins off here. One was a hard to find 1952 New / Unissued Polish M44.

can you please expand on your reasons for why the type 53 isn't a good recreational shooting rifle?
I think our fellow NWFA members have answered this. Why shoot a T53 with a worn out bore that is going to fly off target. M44 or M38 or M91/59 give you the same carbine with a good bore)

Or - after reading every other response, your just messing with me for this answer.

I found a gorgeous nearly new 1925 Tula 91/30 hex at Big 5 a few years ago and walked out the door with it and the complete accessory kit, $84 lighter

I have brought a couple of real nice short Mosins here: <broken link removed>
Her inventory changes and is Finn orientated but she will have Izzy and Tula short rifles from time to time.

Disclosure; They claim 'wartime' or 'postwar' or 'unfired' because few of the Finn rifles they sell were actually made into whole rifles. There was a scandal about them taking NOS parts and fitting them together.

Not that I'm complaining...but it's not on the same level of collectability as a rifle made during the time stamped on the receiver.

So far I'm seeing this as an overall opinion:

1.) Don't get the Type 53 because most of them were poorly built or poorly maintained. Get a Soviet M44 instead.
2.) Between the 91/30 or M44, it's all about personal preference.
3.) The SKS or turk mauser are good alternatives.

My responses:
1.)Ok, after your guys' advices and doing further research, I agree. It seems like all the Type 53 rifles on the market have relatively bad bores (maybe due to lower quality metal or because of China's gun manufacturing practices which back then was not very experienced or high quality). I may just have to forget about 53s.

2.) I have owned a 91/30 in the past, and shot an M44 multiple times. The only reason why I may favor the M44 over the 91/30 is due to it's shorter profile. But then again, the 91/30 is a nice full size rifle, and I already have enough carbines in my collection (ak-47's, ak74's, etc)

3.) I personally don't see the need of an SKS when I have numerous AKs in my collection. The turk mauser seems interesting. I will consider it, thanks for the suggestion.

I would and did go with a 91/30. Having it cut down to 20 or 22". Replaced the stock with a polymer one. I don't want the bayonet lug and the cut down also includes a re-crown, moved front sight and it won't be counter bored. To me it's a perfect truck gun. I'll replace the rear sight with mojo click and for $250 when done, I'll take it on any hunt. With peep sights I'm good out to 300 yards, but my eyes are still young. So you just have to make it fit your needs. Nothing wrong with a 44 but from my experience the 44 only gets about 3" groups at a 100 yards on average. With mine I can expect 1-2" groups from a 100. Good luck.

Disclosure; They claim 'wartime' or 'postwar' or 'unfired' because few of the Finn rifles they sell were actually made into whole rifles. There was a scandal about them taking NOS parts and fitting them together.

Not that I'm complaining...but it's not on the same level of collectability as a rifle made during the time stamped on the receiver.

Good point to pass on as she is not the only one who will build a C&R...

I have a habit of phone order only with the twenty questions with any dealer. I have brought two from her and both are 100%.
Empire is good to deal with and you have to be dam fast!

i've both... but am more a fan of the 91/30. i've got what looks to be a barely used '30s Finn and a '42 Russian. both are great. the 44 sitting here is ok, but the quality is kinda crap.

think i'm using the russian as my main hunting rifle this year. i like it that much. that thing is dead accurate and as reliable as anything.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top