JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi,

Trying to get an idea of value for this rifle. As title states it's a Winchester 94 chambered in 30 WCF with a serial of 904,342.
I believe the barrel was modified to half round from an original octagon. Seems to have non org front and rear sights, butt pad and checkering.
IMG_2861 (1).jpg IMG_2865 (1).jpg xIMG_2875-7bi3a4frd0_v_1631559686.jpg.pagespeed.ic.4xNSnf5AsP.jpeg xIMG_2876-bn86fv56jw_v_1631559685.jpg.pagespeed.ic.rtoMJkKvO0.jpeg

Rifle receiver serial # indicates that it was manufactured 1920. If it has been modified from original, it will likely not command as much of a premium from collectors.

It looks to be in pretty decent shape. I would throw a number out of around $550-600 if the bore allows it to be a decent shooter. It could fetch more on the right day to the right person, but one ought to keep in mind that millions of these were produced. They were one of the most popular deer hunting rifles for quite some time. A lot of these have lived in the closets/cabinets of a lot of households.

Collectors want all-original, otherwise its primary appeal for some is that it's a pre-'64 receiver.

As for it being all original. I do know that Winchester did offer some 'upgrades' that were available and could be ordered from the factory -- IE. checkered stocks, butt pads, peep sights. However, I'm not sure if butt pads were an option in 1920. Often the stock was cut down to accommodate for them as a later retrofit.

I'm sure others with additional knowledge here will chime in.

The butt pad , checkering and stock re-finish hurt collector value....*
Personally I like the look of the rifle and if the bore is good , along with it all being in working order...
I'd say around the $500 - $600 mark is good guess as to value.

Remembering that gun values , vary wildly across the country...
As well as :
Book value...
Internet gun selling site value...
Gun shop value...
What the gun actually sells for value...
Will all be vastly different.
Andy

* Edit to add :
Yes Winchester did offer butt pads and checkering as a special order for the 94 series....to my eye what shows in the photo...ain't factory.

Last Edited:
Winchester applied the stocks final finish after the butt plate/pad was installed, so there would be brush strokes matching up on both parts.

Here are a few more close ups of the butt pad. It says White Line, PAT PEND. I believe it says "RED STYLE". It appears to say "RSHON CO IN" on the bottom.

IMG_2981.jpg IMG_2982.jpg IMG_2980.jpg IMG_2979.jpg IMG_2978.jpg

on these winchesters the customer could order almost any sight from the factory. if this is an origional 1/2 round barrel the transition should be 14 1/4" from the muzzle, front sight should be 1" from the muzzle. these could be special ordered with many different options, including barrel length and configuration, stock wood and checkering . the buttpad appears to be a home done. you should have this checked out by an expert. hard to tell from pictures. what front sight is on gun. i have almost same gun same serial # range, made the same year. this looks like a special order gun, mine has the same checkering pattern as yours and same barrel. ( all measurements can be + - 1/16th")

14 1/4" measurment is with 26" barrel. it was called 26" barrel but was actually slightly shorter. if you can add more pictures that would help. this gun looks like a highly optioned gun. i looked in my winchester book and it looks to have correct factory checkering. the same as my 32spl. made the same year.

front sight looks like a ramp,
That front 'ramp' is unlike anything I have ever seen on a Winchester of any year. The picture is distorted However it appears to be something 'homemade' and not a factory sight.

A 'Ramp' sight was first introduced on the Mod 64 Winchester in 1933 and was a screw mounted, dovetailed 'mount' and was nothing like the long, tapered mount shown on the OPs pics but who knows - anything might have been possible in the early day of Winchester.

Last Edited:
Hare are photos of the front sight. The barrel is 24 1/6 length. The transition starts at 12 1/2 from muzzle. The bore is clean. I'm very appreciative of all the information that has been relayed. We came into possession of this gun because uncle Dan recently passed away. I haven't yet had the pleasure to shoot it because Dan would never let us. This was always a very special gun because his mother loved to used to hunt deer (wife's grandmother). Al (wife's grandfather) took it in trade at his gun shop (Al's gun shop in Verboort). It's been in the family for over a half century and I aim to keep it that way!

Image-2.jpeg Image-1.jpeg Image (1).jpeg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top