JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello everyone!

So I live in SE Portland and I've had a major rat problem, to make lemonade out of lemons I bought a red ryder bb gun and have hit a few of them (traps are more effective but less fun). I also got a raccoon that was digging in my garbage but the bb barely bothered it. Anyways the bb gun has awoken something in me and I'm thinking of moving onto a pellet gun and trying out small game hunting.

My questions are:

Does anyone know if it is legal to shoot racoons with pellet guns in Portland in your own backyard?

How loud is a pellet gun, I live in pretty close quarters with my neighbors will they freak out?

Where can I go small game hunting around Portland?

Thanks!

As far as legality, I believe it's prohibited.

http://www.portlandonline.com/auditor/index.cfm?c=28178

Look at the definitions and discharge of firearms. The definitions include firing a projectile using a spring or compressed air. Set up a pellet gun range and it should be legal.

Pellet guns can vary as far as the noise they make. The ones I've owned have been pretty quiet.

I haven't done any small game hunting around Portland but would imagine there's places outside the city in the greater metro area.

Hmm thanks for the info Drew, guess my raccoon hunting days are over. Hopefully someone in here knows about some locations in the area.

You'll probably be fine. Set up a target and backstop in the yard. Just be safe shooting at the raccoon. Maybe put a target on your house. Doesn't take much to set up an air rifle or bow range.

It's one thing I don't like about bigger cities is their need to restrict things like bb and pellet guns. Yes you might have neighbors close but you can have that in one of 1000 people. Just have to be smart enough not to hurt other people or their property. Don't get me started on Portland's loaded open carry prohibition laws unless you have a fair amount of time.

I've not seen anything bigger than a squirrel taken out with a BB, a higher velocity pointed pellet would be better for larger game. As for noise, you'll keep it down if you stay subsonic (under 1200 fps) and there are BB rifles that will break that mark. Drew is absolutely correct, any discharge of a firearm in Multnomah County (even a BB or pellet gun) is illegal. You'll be taking a risk if you decide to do it. That said, I've been known to fire a single shot here and there in my area (not in Mult Co) to get rid of pests and haven't had a problem, but I make sure the neighbors aren't around when I do it - I don't want the grief from them. I've also been practicing with a sling shot for taking out pests - it's not as accurate, but it's pretty quiet and fun to shoot. I don't know that it could take a raccoon, but you could nail some small stuff with steel shot if you're good enough to hit them.

Hey UncleSugar, I've been thinking about one of those.

Did you do the mod, or have it done? Pyramid? Have you checked the velocity? I've talked to a couple people that like the noise factor, but are quite disappointed with performance. Would love your take.

I have a Gamo Whisper in .22cal, I live in Mult. Co. as well, so it does not come out often.
I had the spring replaced with a Crossman Nitro Piston, makes it very, very, quiet.

Did you do the mod, or have it done? Pyramid? Have you checked the velocity? I've talked to a couple people that like the noise factor, but are quite disappointed with performance. Would love your take.

This is an older thread and it looks like UncleSugar hasn't been around since the end of December. That said, I have a Hatsan 125 Sniper that I had Pyramid install the Crosman Nitro Piston in. I have to say, considering the power of that gun, it's very quiet. My old .177 Pumpmaster is louder than my .22 cal Hatsan break barrel - and the Hatsan is far more powerful. I don't know if it's all the Nitro piston, but I know I'm liking it.

I see that... The new format must have 'renewed' the thread for me. Thanks for the note.

I'm out here in Crack-of-my-a$$ County, so the neighbors aren't too big an issue. My favorite 'backyard blaster' which has taken many (many) rodents is still a PCP rifle, which dialed down to about 825fps isn't bad at all, but I do like the power from my Stoeger piston rig (especially when I 'accidentally' diesel it to 1400fps with 14 1/2 grain Superdomes), but even with the so-called suppressor; this beast is loud. The sound is very different, but subjectively, my .50 cal is quieter.

P.S. Safety note boys and girls: not all guns are safe dieseling, and even those that are safe, will almost certainly see a significantly shortened lifespan. Do your research, don't come crying to me when you turn your rifle into a paperweight, and don't be stupid.

I had Pyramid Air do the mod, I have been very happy with the gun. I have not checked the velocity, that is a good idea.

The gun seems to preform just fine for me, it has put a bunch of critters down, that is all I really ask of it.

Hello everyone!

So I live in SE Portland and I've had a major rat problem, to make lemonade out of lemons I bought a red ryder bb gun and have hit a few of them (traps are more effective but less fun). I also got a raccoon that was digging in my garbage but the bb barely bothered it. Anyways the bb gun has awoken something in me and I'm thinking of moving onto a pellet gun and trying out small game hunting.

My questions are:

Does anyone know if it is legal to shoot racoons with pellet guns in Portland in your own backyard?

How loud is a pellet gun, I live in pretty close quarters with my neighbors will they freak out?

Where can I go small game hunting around Portland?

Thanks!

I have a Benjamin Trail Nitro charged piston single shot pellet target pistol with dual sights. Not a spring, or a pump, or a CO2. Permanent nitrogen cylinder, like a shock absorber. One sight displays a red or green 5 different reticles on a little view screen, the other sight is your normal projected laser. Accurate enough for Olympic shooting. I can hit a soda can at 100 yards in one shot. And about 8 different kinds of ammo, depends on the target.

It only sounds like an old man's cough. And I guess it depends on your neighbors. Mine are pretty cool about it.

I just moved back to Oregon from 12 years in Palm Springs and unfortunately, yes, even carrying one much less firing one in public is illegal. I must be kept unloaded and in a case. So I set me up and indoor range in the attic. 30 feet to a 3 x 2 inch target, which is smaller than your thumb at that distance.

Still settling in. But as soon as I find a good place for outdoor target practice I'll let you know.

31-atAmv5OL.jpg

81NdUkyrzmL__SL1500_.jpg

519KJafjexL__SL1500_.jpg

I've taken down coyote in the desert with mine. Depends on range, ammo and marksmanship. Flathead wad cutter Diablo's are good skull crushers, but not accurate at range. Alloy pellets, not lead, give better velocity and accuracy, and keep the weapon cleaner. Very good for neck, chest or shoulder shots.

Nicely done. But I still like shooting them. Building the trap and getting results is nice. But I like the satisfaction of pegging one in the head and tossing it in the can.

And I have to say. Oregon squirrels are no where near as bothersome as the ones in southern California.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top