JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You got that right. Supposedly moving to central WA in the future. I live miles away and can still smell it if a light southerly breeze is blowing.
:s0170:

As for mushroom caliber, 6.5 Creedmorel? Pine millimeter? Core-lokt, the deadliest mushroom in the woods?
:)

Last Edited:
Not a chanterelle, the only ones I eat (because I can identify them). A couple of good books out there, one of my favorites is All That the Rain Promises and More: A Hip Pocket Guide to Western Mushrooms: Arora, David: 8601401105589: Amazon.com: Books
1587966028787.png
BEST thing you can do to a steak (after cooking it) is to smother it in Chanterelles. :s0155:
I guess there's a black variety as well, but I've never seen one.
Dean

P.S. - This seems to be a very comprehensive guide to mushrooms that grow in the PNW - Pacific Northwest | Mushroaming - Daniel Winkler's Webpages Dedicated to Mushrooms and Nature Tours

Last Edited:
What type do we think these are? They are in Ponderosa forest, 5200ft ele.

View attachment 1740525
They almost look like a mushroom that has been taken over by a parasite fungus. The lower one in the picture anyway. The white gills are visible in the top one. Need a better example. It's possibly an old funked up Matsutake. WAY past prime. The Matsutake is HIGHLY prized in Asia and here. That's the mushroom that's involved when you hear about shootings and fights over fungus. And strict, enforced regulations on the gathering of them. And huge messes left in the forest from people living out there during the gathering season.
1697295645420.png

They almost look like a mushroom that has been taken over by a parasite fungus. The lower one in the picture anyway. The white gills are visible in the top one. Need a better example. It's possibly an old funked up Matsutake. WAY past prime. The Matsutake is HIGHLY prized in Asia and here. That's the mushroom that's involved when you hear about shootings and fights over fungus. And strict, enforced regulations on the gathering of them. And huge messes left in the forest from people living out there during the gathering season.
View attachment 1740528
An animal dug them up so I don't have any better specimens. I will keep an eye out for more.

Do they normally grow at the base of trees? These were about 15ft from the nearest tree?
15' isn't what I'd consider, growing at the base. Some mushrooms definitely have a symbiotic relationship to tree species. Others will grow over the decayed wood of several kinds of trees. And others that grow directly on dead wood. Like Lions Mane and Pleurotus.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top