JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That's nice but what does that have to do with anything save to be inflamatory?
How is that inflammatory? It was a response to a post stating that it's best to call folks by the cultural name they prefer. I experienced that firsthand... have you ever heard of cultural identity?

If a tribe likes being called Indians, call them Indians. If they prefer Native, stick with that (especially if they're Sioux or Blackfoot, Lakota are more chill).

Last Edited:
Hopefully those dentures are working out for ya.
Can't hit what you can't see, float like a butterfly sting like a bee!

artworks-000309191601-4da333-t500x500.jpg

Last Edited:
The exercise of trying to find "correct" language ("Indian", "Native American", "Indigenous Person") will encounter a root cause of difficulty between a White European world view and that of native cultures that has yet to be reconciled.

White European culture operates on hierarchy. Nearly immutable. Superiors make decisions that subordinates obey.

Such is often completely foreign to Native Peoples. Chiefs have never made anybody do anything.

...and nobody's gonna tell any certain group how they should like to be called.

Last Edited:
The way I always thought this worked is that reservations were like invisible states, but they are lesser states. They are under federal authority, so all federal laws apply to them (which would include specific exemptions in federal law that apply exclusively to them), but state law mostly does not apply to them, except where the feds says it does, of which I am lead to believe there are many examples but have no idea how to verify (e.g. fireworks sales laws in California[?])

Another weird wrinkle is that First Nations governments are treated as a semi-foreign internal entity. They are not allowed to engage in legally binding international agreements, and are wholly under the federal government in that regard, but they are allowed to negotiate with the federal government as if they were a foreign state, including sign treaties. But this does not apply to their land, which is a grant to them and is held (and owned) by the federal government itself.

The whole arrangement is just weird, and I am not sure there are many people who really understand how it all works. I am of the opinion that we should probably reevaluate the whole thing, seeing is how every single person in question is a full fledged U.S. citizen and really does not need any special distinction, but I keep hearing the argument that if they lose their "First Nation" status that will kill their entire culture. 🤷‍♂️
Culture as a whole is being killed.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads