JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yes, but not my bag. Proper belt and holster and waist carry is easier and more easily concealed. Only time I've ever had someone out me when I was packing was with a shoulder holster.

I'm 6'-3" and 220 lbs. Not huge, but I'm over 60 and most of that chiseled upper body muscle from my youth has turned into pear shaped jello at my waist. :( I carry a commander size 1911 in a Crossbreed Supertuck IWB and use an El Paso Saddlery tooled leather belt. Takes some getting used to and breaking in of the holster, but it is a pretty comfortable set up. I wear a shirt tucked in behind the holster but have a jacket on most of the time and don't have any trouble with concealment.

For when you do not tuck your shirt in, perry suspenders I find work really well at keeping the pants up ...

suspenderstore_2272_71653029.jpg

http://www.perrysuspenders.com/

In the fall, winter and spring I have adopted a leather vest. It looks nice enough that I have received several compliments on it. I bought it from a company that sells leather vests and other leather items at guns shows and places like that. It is sold as a concealment vest, but the one I got needs a special holster for the concealed pocket because the two elastic loops that are supposed to hold the gun in place don't work for that purpose. I asked the lady who does alterations at Love Leathers to make me a holster that would fit the pocket. She had one idea, and I had another idea about what would work. Her idea didn't work, and it didn't fit the pocket very well either, but I was able to alter what she made enough to hold my Glock 19 in a fairly good fashion. This time of year, (winter) I also carry a pocket holster with a NAA 22 magnum. These are options to be considered, not necessarily suggestions.:rolleyes:

In the fall, winter and spring I have adopted a leather vest. It looks nice enough that I have received several compliments on it. I bought it from a company that sells leather vests and other leather items at guns shows and places like that. It is sold as a concealment vest, but the one I got needs a special holster for the concealed pocket because the two elastic loops that are supposed to hold the gun in place don't work for that purpose. I asked the lady who does alterations at Love Leathers to make me a holster that would fit the pocket. She had one idea, and I had another idea about what would work. Her idea didn't work, and it didn't fit the pocket very well either, but I was able to alter what she made enough to hold my Glock 19 in a fairly good fashion. This time of year, (winter) I also carry a pocket holster with a NAA 22 magnum. These are options to be considered, not necessarily suggestions.:rolleyes:

Next time try STEWART leathers. Laura is great at doing what you want.

At 64, I don't give a damn about looks. It's suspenders for me, about 3 years now.

The OWB holster goes at 3:30 on a stiff pistol belt. Being 5' 9" , 225lbs and living in cooler climate, a vest, a jacket or shirt-jac cover everything. I do have a "murse" for my backup, which also carries a tourniquet, trauma pad and Celox, beside extra mags for both guns (2 Walther PPQ's).

Okay I'll bite on this one. I'm 6' and 242 lbs and I carry a 10mm Colt Delta Elite with 2 magazines on a custom made double layer 1 3/8" belt. (For those of you that remember Pinkhamr it was his and I'm proud to wear it) As for losing weight I used to weigh 400 lbs but it seems as the weight I'm at now is where it's going to stick. I wear bib overalls as my daily work wear and pretty much everything else wear. I wear the belt under my bibs and have done so for many years without every getting busted. I own a pest control company and carry everywhere I go except for where I can't for legal reasons. One advantage is that if I have to use the restroom I don't have to take my gun off and end up forgetting it in the stall like so many Chief of Police have been caught doing over the past several years. I've never been accused to being a slave to fashion but at close to 60 years old who cares. I've been dressing this way for the past 30 years.

Jan_2015_half_carry_picture.jpg

uploading images

Delta_Elite_and_Milt_Sparks_VM2.jpg

image url upload

Next time try STEWART leathers. Laura is great at doing what you want.
I did try Stewart leathers. They made a nice suede leather vest for me. I also provided a rifle sling for them to modify. They lost it. Never did get it back. Laura does good work, but some of the people who she hires don't. But, thanks for the suggestion anyway

So I'm a big guy; big belly and no a$$. I thought using my M&P 40 Shield, rather than my Glock 23 for CC would help gravitationally, but it hasn't. Adding any weight to my belt just accelerates my pants heading to the floor. Just curious to see what solutions other substantial guys have come up with.

I don't know what your circumstances are, but keep in mind you're currently at very high risk of a number of fatal health problems, including heart disease - the number 1 killer in the US. 1 out of 4 deaths in the US... overall. Once you add obesity, you're almost guaranteeing it.

On the other hand, it's extremely unlikely that you'll ever save your life with a pistol. But even if you did, you're still dying.

So if you're not already, my suggestion is immediate weight reduction. It'll help you carry and pistol AND save your life

www.myfitnesspal.com

I carry a Sig P290rs in a Mad Mikes ankle holster and it's very comfortable. (after a break in period to wear down some rough edges of the holster) Not ideal, but problem solved. That's my back up to my backup LCP in my back pocket.

I can agree with the weight loss theology but often those last 40 lbs or so require a fairly strict lifestyle.

Not all of us have that luxury. My health and illnesses prevent me from consistently exerciseing but I do as much as I can when I can. I can keep my weight where it is with diet but can not loose any fat or gain any muscle without the weight training part being more consistent.

Fat belly and no arse is where I will be for the time being.

And honestly folks, EVERY single person who is even slightly overweight is VERY aware of it and that loosening it would be incredibly helpful but not everyone can physically do the work and the rest can't do it alone.

We probably don't need to remind out of shape people they need to loose weight every time this type of thread gets started.

I appreciate all the in depth responses, a lot of good ideas here. I came across a cotton/elastic holster called Kangaroo Carry; has anyone used one of these? Oh, thanks for the health tips.;)

Not talking out of school here at all because I too was overweight and near death and older than most of the replies/comments here . But realize that the illnesses and maladies you are talking about are caused by being overweight, a poor diet and lack of exercise ? As well many are likely taking pharmaceuticals for those very issues which only make those issues far worse whether you can realize that or not is not up to me , but you ? Many are simply killing themselves needlessly and not enjoying life as you should for a lack of information and action ? Anybody can get fit and healthy of they want to ! I am pushing 70 and very healthy and fit as a 25 year old , more so than many 25. anybody can do the same rather easily. Just gotta want to and know how ?

I have ditched leather gun belts because heavy stitch riggers belts are much easier to keep tight. I suggest the types that double back on velcro because they stay tight. I only carry owb in a Safariland 6378 paddle holster. At 6'4, I can hide a 5 inch 1911 under a polo short carrying at 4 o'clock.

Do a few squats to build up a little bit of a bum.

I stick with a pocket holster and pants with large pockets, generally. If I am carrying something too late for the pocket I will go iwb but usually just inside my belt instead of inside the actual waistband and I wear an untucked shirt over it. If I am extra concerned, I'll add a simple piece of dark cloth to match my clothing over the holster as an easy to remove "dust cover", just in case.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top