JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
AITAH if I delete previously left positive feedback?

My experience has been that only about 60% of folks actually leave feedback. I'm more typically the buyer and for the most part have been fortunate to deal with some really cool individuals, but I have to admit I do get a little peeved with folks that can't seem to be bothered to follow up with feedback.

Most typically, transactions go without a hitch. They offer something, I express interest and make a deal (most often with a single PM), communication is great from the seller, I always respond promptly and cordially in kind, they provide payment info, I pay immediately, confirm payment sent and provide shipping info, they ship, it arrives, all is well in the world and I leave positive feedback. Then crickets from the other side of the deal.

In the grand scheme of things it's not that big of a deal, but if I'm helping a persons online community reputation, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the same in return.

Recently the thought crossed my mind of, hey! After a reasonable amount of time has passed (say a couple weeks) when they've been active on the forum but didn't feel the need to leave feedback in return... maybe I should just go back and start deleting the feedback I left for them(?) Would that help encourage people to be more diligent about it(?)

To be clear, I'm not suggesting switching it to neutral or negative... just flat out deleting the positive feedback and has no detrimental impact on their feedback scores. Or does it(?)

Since there is no incentive to leave return feedback after the deal is done and they've gotten "theirs", would it help to encourage the practice, or would it just be too petty? Thoughts?

Have you ever used eBay? It's even worse there. @Joe Link would need to chime in but I think that once the review is posted, its posted forever. Personal opinion is I would rather see it that way then people deleting feedback because they didn't get any. It's just the internet. :D

It would be nice if first deals between members had a mutual agreement to leave feedback.

I fully understand not leaving feedback if it's the 2nd-3rd-4th..etc time doing business with someone.. but for a first deal, I feel that is important for both parties.
I actually forget some of the business I've done long long ago and it's interesting to see who I've done business with via trader ratings.

I suppose if a trader rating could be taken away after the member saw it, it may create some kind of bitter retaliation and the mods would then have to clean up a tit-for-tat mess.
Perhaps there could be a grace period where it's not seen by the member should the other member decide to retract his trader rating?
Perhaps it posts after a week? But then how would you know you've received said trader rating right after the deal? Seems messy though.

Have you ever used eBay? It's even worse there. @Joe Link would need to chime in but I think that once the review is posted, its posted forever. Personal opinion is I would rather see it that way then people deleting feedback because they didn't get any. It's just the internet. :D
Absolutely. eBay though I never leave feedback any more unless the seller leaves feedback first. I figure it's the sellers way of saying "think you" for putting my money in their pocket for profit, and experience told me a long time ago... if you leave feedback first there is a better than 80% chance they won't ever leave feedback in return. As it is... the percentages where a seller leaves feedback after you've paid is much higher than getting return feedback.

After all. When I buy something from a retail shop that is "for profit" on their end, I feel it's more the retailers responsibility to thank me for shopping with them than it is for me to thank '"them" for the opportunity to put my hard earned money into their pocket. Right? They are the ones getting more out of the deal than they put into it.:D

Here is a little different. Most of the items I purchase I know the seller isn't likely making back what they originally have into it and I feel more of a responsibility to confirm I received it, am happy with the (typically) used item, understand that they are taking a hit on the deal and express my thanks.

The current feedback system though does have the option to delete it.

Last Edited:
The deals I've done here come with the caveat of leaving feedback for one another. Most would desire a solid reputation.

I've had excellent dealings with the folks on this site.

It would be nice if first deals between members had a mutual agreement to leave feedback.

I fully understand not leaving feedback if it's the 2nd-3rd-4th..etc time doing business with someone.. but for a first deal, I feel that is important for both parties.
I actually forget some of the business I've done long long ago and it's interesting to see who I've done business with via trader ratings.

I suppose if a trader rating could be taken away after the member saw it, it may create some kind of bitter retaliation and the mods would then have to clean up a tit-for-tat mess.
Perhaps there could be a grace period where it's not seen by the member should the other member decide to retract his trader rating?
Perhaps it posts after a week? But then how would you know you've received said trader rating right after the deal? Seems messy though.
I get the multiple transactions thing, but as a seller... If someone I've done business with before left me another positive that adds to my community reputation score... of which I will get a notification of... I would feel honor bound to do the same for them regardless if I felt it was really necessary or not. Evidently they did, so, that's cool too. I wouldn't think to have a conversation about it during the course of a new deal. IE., "Hey. Are we leaving feedback for each other again?":D

I think it's interesting looking back too. I tend to put things out of mind after they are concluded and it's interesting to see sometimes, "Oh! I've bought from him before!". Even when I wasn't aware of it at the time of the new deal.🤣

Last Edited:
I don't buy / sell / trade much over the forum but...
I have left feed back for every transaction I have made here at NWFA.

While I haven't received feedback from every transaction....I also ain't too worried about it either.
However...I do understand the idea of the OP...and get where he is coming from.
Just not sure how to promote the idea of leaving feedback after a transaction.
Andy

Everyone I have delt with on here has been solid and positive you can figure out how it is going to go after a few PM's . I do believe there may be a few Nigerian princes wishing to purchase above the asking price but most of us do not deal with them lol. I do find after a deal and all goes well as soon as time permits do post positive feedback and 100% of the time it has been reciprocated .

The deals I've done here come with the caveat of leaving feedback for one another. Most would desire a solid reputation.

I've had excellent dealings with the folks on this site.
I agree. I admit though that I generally only assume it's a given to leave feedback when doing deals through the classifieds. I would say nearly half the deals I get involved with though don't occur from classifieds listings. Many are someone mentions something in the forum and I hit em up with, "I would buy that off ya if you're interested" or someone hits me up with something they have they think I might like or want based on something I've posted.

More like a "buddy deal" than a "formal" transaction in my mind I guess. Those type I guess I don't expect or leave feedback for... unless they do... which hasn't happened yet.

Last Edited:
I agree and would have a lot more feedback then I do but whatcha gonna do?

I try and post feedback as soon as I am able to (normally once I am home froM the transaction to try and incentivize and remind the other party to leave feedback).

I will say that it is not 100% intuitive and some folks may just not be able to figure it out.

I agree and would have a lot more feedback then I do but whatcha gonna do?

I try and post feedback as soon as I am able to (normally once I am home froM the transaction to try and incentivize and remind the other party to leave feedback).

I will say that it is not 100% intuitive and some folks may just not be able to figure it out.

1714527605050.png

I've had nothing but good experiences from member transactions and I've always asked for mutual feedback to be given at the end of each one.
Maybe that's my problem. I never ask for it.

Most often I just send a final PM... "Received. All good! Feedback left. Thanks!" But would think the other party getting a new feedback notification really should be sufficient.🤔

If a guy was gonna whine or complain about something you would think it more the natural order of things to do that before leaving positive feedback, hu(?):D

Get in touch with your inner child, tell them, "you're a great person. You do not need the opinion of others to feel good about yourself."
24 positives, plus the body of your posts, already says all that anyone needs. You're GTG.

Get in touch with your inner child, tell them, "you're a great person. You do not need the opinion of others to feel good about yourself."
24 positives, plus the body of your posts, already says all that anyone needs. You're GTG.
I realize it may be a generational thing. I don't look at feedback as keeping score or an affirmation so much as simply taking the time to say a "Thank You" and a "You're Welcome". A matter of politeness.

It doesn't sit really well when you say "Thank you" and a person simply walks away without a word. Sort of to say.... ;)

Leaving feedback here and leaving it on ebay are two different propositions.

My impression is that most transactions done through NWFA are face to face. In which case, you know the outcome of the transaction at that moment. Yes, some transactions are done at a distance but I submit they are the minority.

Most people, understandably enough, on NWFA are gun people. Not to say they are all saint-like, but they have a common interest that tends to bind them together a bit. Unlike Ebay, which is just a large number of Joe Blows, whose common interest is making a sale. Including an army of scammers and fakers.

Ebay transactions are nearly always at a distance. You don't really know what's going on unless people leave feedback. As a seller, I don't want to leave FB unless and until I hear something from the buyer. Could be a problem in there that needs resolution, but I've only had a few of those. In any case, I leave FB for FB left. As a buyer, I leave FB routinely if all has gone well.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top