JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This org says big quake to hit Cali by tomorrow. Dunno.

http://www.quakeprediction.com/Los Angeles Earthquake Forecast.html

While I don't wish massive earthquakes on anyone I am curious to see if earthquake prediction technology is improving.
I'm betting against it. Website looks pretty cheesy, ad heavy, and not very scientific. Studying earthquakes since 2005? You might find some good info there on where to get a GED tho. :s0114:

Critics say:

"The website Quack Predict
has been tracking Luke's predictions since May 16, 2012. As of March 28, 2013, he's had two successful predictions (read: lucky guesses) out of 132 total predictions - or an accuracy rate of 1.52%."

I guess we'll know pretty soon.

I've been through a somewhat large one, Loma Prieta 1989. Good shake, 60+ people killed, collapsed buildings and freeways at Richter 6.9. But that's not remotely comparable to Japan's 9.1 in 2013. Cascadia Fault also has history of quakes 9 or greater. When that happens (not a question of if) we'll all be kissing a lot of what we knew in the Northwest goodby, and that possibly includes our own arses.

Last Edited:
The Ring of Fire has been doing a lot of adjusting lately...
Screenshot 2023-05-22 at 10-08-19 Latest Earthquakes.png

I've been through a somewhat large one, Loma Prieta 1989. Good shake, 60+ people killed, collapsed buildings and freeways at Richter 6.9. But that's not remotely comparable to Japan's 9.1 in 2013. Cascadia Fault also has history of quakes 9 or greater. When that happens (not a question of if) we'll all be kissing a lot of what we knew in the Northwest goodby, and that possibly includes our own arses.
As long as there a dominant number of Kali turds in the great flush, I can abide.

Part of my preparations for this is relocating to eastern Oregon. I'm young enough where this quake is very likely to occur in my lifetime. I don't want to be anywhere west of the Cascades when it happens. Everything I've read has pointed to this pending quake likely being one of the worst disasters in modern history. I'd rather just avoid it all together by getting out of the area.

Part of my preparations for this is relocating to eastern Oregon. I'm young enough where this quake is very likely to occur in my lifetime. I don't want to be anywhere west of the Cascades when it happens. Everything I've read has pointed to this pending quake likely being one of the worst disasters in modern history. I'd rather just avoid it all together by getting out of the area.
A Cascadian earthquake might happen tomorrow. It might not for 100 more years. Eventually it will.

OTOH, peak carry capacity is happening now. I believe it will be easier to survive that while west of the Cascades. East of the Cascades is rather arid, potable water is an issue across most of it, as is precipitation for crops/gardens/livestock. There are some areas (e.g., Wallowas/Blue Mountains) where one could probably survive and grow food without water issues, but not many.

To each their own. For now, I will take my chances on this side of the Cascades.

A Cascadian earthquake might happen tomorrow. It might not for 100 more years. Eventually it will.

OTOH, peak carry capacity is happening now. I believe it will be easier to survive that while west of the Cascades. East of the Cascades is rather arid, potable water is an issue across most of it, as is precipitation for crops/gardens/livestock. There are some areas (e.g., Wallowas/Blue Mountains) where one could probably survive and grow food without water issues, but not many.

To each their own. For now, I will take my chances on this side of the Cascades.
There's countless reports that suggest (because we don't know for sure) that eastern Oregon will be far less impacted by the CSZ when it decides to go. For example, this report from the Oregon Military Department suggests recovery time for eastern Oregon will only be about 30 days. I've seen reports for the western half of the state that estimate full recovery (restoring things totally back to normal) will take up to 3 years. It's just simple science that because its further away from the fault line, the quake will be less intense. Water isn't an issue if you live in one of the bigger cities on I-84 because of access to the various rivers in the area.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top