JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That's post you quoted was back in the time the final brace rule was in force. Since that rule has been thrown out, I'm not sure it's illegal anymore. I don't follow these so someone who follows them like maybe @The Heretic might know, cuz I don't know.
There has been some back and forth on this because of how ATF wrote & released the rule (with comments in the rule regarding the "firearms" like the Shockwave/Tac-14/et. al., and then later, I read that someone from ATF wrote a letter(?) that was supposed to clear that up and say that it was a mistake to interpret the rule in that way. So it is reportedly legal to put a brace on these "firearms" as they are not pistols, and the rule was about SBRs and pistols, not these "firearms".

Now bear in mind, I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice, and I am just relaying what I read on the internet". If you want a good legal opinion, find a good lawyer conversant in the laws/rules/regulations regarding firearms.

Now I am sure that the ATF would love to say that you can't put a brace on these "firearms" - hell, they would like to ban them altogether. But apparently they cannot or at least have not?

I may be wrong but this isn't classified as an AOW. It's classified as a "firearm" or "other firearm" which if true you could add a folding adapter with a brace or pistol tube (not a stock) and when folded if it maintains the 26" OAL it should be legal. Pistol brace or tube ok, Rifle stock definitely not.

The following is from manufacturer:
the VRF14 fills a niche in Federal regulations that covers shotguns. Specifically, the Gun Control Act of 1968 defines what a "firearm" is. The National Firearms Act of 1934 defines what a "short-barreled shotgun" is. The VRF14 and other shotguns like it follow the letter of the law for both definitions, in that it is a firearm, but it is not an short-barreled shotgun (SBS). So, no shoulder stock, never had one, and equal to or longer than the minimum overall length as described by the NFA/34. A narrow niche, but a viable one, and thus we have the VRF14.

Per ATF : when a device operating as a stabilizing brace is attached to a firearm via a folding mechanism, Overall length is measured with the brace in the folded position ......

usually most would fall below the 26" rule and you get yourself in trouble. But this VRF is 26.5" as is so with the adapter installed and a brace or tube folded wouldn't it still maintain 26" and be legal.

View attachment 1312961
To me, if this could legally be converted to a folding stock Rock Island would sell one to fit it. The fact that they do not have one makes that idea suspect.

There has been some back and forth on this because of how ATF wrote & released the rule (with comments in the rule regarding the "firearms" like the Shockwave/Tac-14/et. al., and then later, I read that someone from ATF wrote a letter(?) that was supposed to clear that up and say that it was a mistake to interpret the rule in that way. So it is reportedly legal to put a brace on these "firearms" as they are not pistols, and the rule was about SBRs and pistols, not these "firearms".

Now bear in mind, I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice, and I am just relaying what I read on the internet". If you want a good legal opinion, find a good lawyer conversant in the laws/rules/regulations regarding firearms.

Now I am sure that the ATF would love to say that you can't put a brace on these "firearms" - hell, they would like to ban them altogether. But apparently they cannot or at least have not?
I don't know much about it but I recall in the atf training for the final brace rule they said due to the fact that the rule "supersedes all previous rules" that's what made braces illegal on things like the komrad. But now that the entire rule is enjoined nationwide, and guns are sold with braces on them as before, that "supersedes" issue no longer exists. That's how I read it anyway fwiw. But I haven't been following it, just what I remember fwiw.

To me, if this could legally be converted to a folding stock Rock Island would sell one to fit it. The fact that they do not have one makes that idea suspect.
That's kinda what I was thinking. I have a RIA VRF-14 coming this week and finding anything online is a challenge. Mostly bc I don't have the firearm yet in my hands to see what might actually work, and there's nothing I have found that's advertised as fitting the VRF-14 in that regard. So any informed suggestions are welcome!

That's kinda what I was thinking. I have a RIA VRF-14 coming this week and finding anything online is a challenge. Mostly bc I don't have the firearm yet in my hands to see what might actually work, and there's nothing I have found that's advertised as fitting the VRF-14 in that regard. So any informed suggestions are welcome!
I haven't looked into it but maybe try to search for 1913 rail mounting adapter for that gun. Once you have a 1913 rail on the back you can put any brace on it you want.

Why? many braces do not use buffer tubes. What's wrong with replacing with 1913 rail cover. Many of my guns have that.
It's not actually a tube, my misnomer.

Edit- like an HK MP5 or and MKE the stock butt cover comes off and a different one goes on. Then the "non-tube" with the hinge goes into that.

Last Edited:
Since this is a thread from 2022, here is a newer price, $249 at palmetto:

Oh I jumped all over that! And I found some more recent info on OpticsPlanet as far as compatibility with these parts. I lost the thread. If I find it, I will post the link

Maybe I should sell mine, and then buy this.....!!
People used do something similar with their saiga 12 and lynx 12. They sold their saigas for $1500 and bought lynx 12 which is way more reliable and better made for $300. Lynx 12 made by factory that has been making quality AKs for over 50 years. Only failure I've heard of is a bolt breaking at 11,000 rounds. I bought three of them. One to put tactical type furniture, one for wood furniture and one will remain untouched.

People used do something similar with their saiga 12 and lynx 12. They sold their saigas for $1500 and bought lynx 12 which is way more reliable and better made for $300. Lynx 12 made by factory that has been making quality AKs for over 50 years. Only failure I've heard of is a bolt breaking at 11,000 rounds. I bought three of them. One to put tactical type furniture, one for wood furniture and one will remain untouched.

Nah. I have a Beretta 300 Patrol and a 590 pump. The VRF 14 is just kinda a Terminator-type shotgun. Shoot until the gun is empty and the BD's head has melted, then pull out another weapon and dump fire that one too.

Those who do buy one of the VRF 14 semi auto need to shoot nothing but good quality #00 Buck for a while (150+ rounds) in order to break in the shotty. Afterwards you can use lighter rounds, but lighter rounds to start will only cause multiple jamming. FYI

And I took off the sights off of mine and put a laser underneath the muzzle. Didn't want to hold a shotgun up to eye level (think its a Darwin idea!).

Those who do buy one of the VRF 14 semi auto need to shoot nothing but good quality #00 Buck for a while (150+ rounds) in order to break in the shotty. Afterwards you can use lighter rounds, but lighter rounds to start will only cause multiple jamming. FYI

And I took off the sights off of mine and put a laser underneath the muzzle. Didn't want to hold a shotgun up to eye level (think its a Darwin idea!).
I recall they had or have 2 sets of springs, light and heavy for different loads. From what I've read the originally shipped with both but don't any longer.

Maybe the now come with something in-between the original two spring sets?

I recall they had or have 2 sets of springs, light and heavy for different loads. From what I've read the originally shipped with both but don't any longer.

Maybe the now come with something in-between the original two spring sets?
Yes it did come with the heavy installed and a bagged set of lighter springs in the box. I have had mine for about 18 months now. But they tell you to shoot alot of heavier quality #00 buck before trying to switch to lighter shot. Once it is 'seasoned' you'll be OK. if they have stopped including them they can't be that expensive to order. Go shoot alot of Buck while you wait

They just want you to "beat it up" a little (the spring). was how it was explained to me haha
Pick mine up tomorrow. I expect a lighter spring to come with it as well. I'll update and let you know if it did

Members are allowed to ask whatever they want for items posted in the classified sections. If you don't like the price of an item, simply move on. Posting negative comments will result in the revocation of your classified privileges.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top