JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If he was up around 3000 ft he might have gotten hung up in the new snow.
You know what, that's a great idea. Next time it snows, the first thing I'm gonna do is go mushroom hunting. What better way to spend my weekend then digging through frozen ground for a fungus.

I sure hope that didn't happen to the guy

You know what, that's a great idea. Next time it snows, the first thing I'm gonna do is go mushroom hunting. What better way to spend my weekend then digging through frozen ground for a fungus.

I sure hope that didn't happen to the guy
No, I'm not suggesting that he was out in the snow hunting mushrooms intentionally.
But looking at the recent snowfall elevation chart, you could get caught in fresh snow especially if you were camping.

No, I'm not suggesting that he was out in the snow hunting mushrooms intentionally.
But looking at the recent snowfall elevation chart, you could get caught in fresh snow especially if you were camping.
Morels are a HUGE draw to all kinds of people. Little cities of them pop-up in the mountains every year. Some serious problems pop-up with them too. It's totally plausible that someone could get in trouble like that in the Cascade's, and Blues.

Many of these things happen every year in the PNW. The accessibility of GPS for the average person has definitely decreased the number, but still pretty common.

There are several national forests in WA that are over 1 million acres, bigger than Delaware or Rhode Island. The Okanagan-Wenatchee is bigger than Connecticut since it was combined in 2000 at 3.8 million acres (5,937.5 sq miles). And these place are heavily forested with very thick underbrush, as most of you that live there and have been in them already know.

As far as I'm concerned, anyone moving there from east of the Mississippi (or south of the border) should just stay out of them. No concept of how immense, dense, and unforgiving these places are.

There have been several plane crashes in these areas that have never been found.

Woman kills 3 by putting death cap mushrooms in lunch. Ex husband was victim of attempted murder three times before.

Like I always tell people...If you never eat an all white mushroom with white gills, you'll never die from eating a Death Cap or Destroying Angel.

MJ

Yeah, but Matsutake are really good. oh well, more for me.
You missundertook me. That bit of advice is too make sure people REALLY know what they're gathering. You know, the basic rules and such? And I have tasted Matsutake years ago, when I still had sense of taste and smell, and, like chanterelles, didn't see what the big deal was. The taste of Matsutake reminded me of the way my old Grandmothers basement smelled when I was young. :D Wasn't a bad smell. Just not a great taste to me.

You missundertook me. That bit of advice is too make sure people REALLY know what they're gathering. You know, the basic rules and such? And I have tasted Matsutake years ago, when I still had sense of taste and smell, and, like chanterelles, didn't see what the big deal was. The taste of Matsutake reminded me of the way my old Grandmothers basement smelled when I was young. :D Wasn't a bad smell. Just not a great taste to me.
Good point and good advice for those without experience.

...to, two, too, tutu... :D

1716931185831.png

Aloha, Mark

Woman kills 3 by putting death cap mushrooms in lunch. Ex husband was victim of attempted murder three times before.

"He had not accepted an invitation to the lunch." Once or twice, no big deal, but drew the line at three attempts to kill him? I can't stop laughing.

I thought that Morels usually showed up around this time of the year in the Siskiyous and S Or cascades, but i HAVE ONLY FOUND A FEW AND THEY WERE way past their expiration date. I guess every hillside and drainage has its own temp and conditions so a s side may flush now and the N side of the hill may not flush for another 3 weeks. Also the elevations are going to be firing off at different timeframes as the surface temps rise.

I thought that Morels usually showed up around this time of the year in the Siskiyous and S Or cascades, but i HAVE ONLY FOUND A FEW AND THEY WERE way past their expiration date. I guess every hillside and drainage has its own temp and conditions so a s side may flush now and the N side of the hill may not flush for another 3 weeks. Also the elevations are going to be firing off at different timeframes as the surface temps rise.
Altitude. If your seeing past prime, go higher.

good call Mikej, These ones I found were at 2000ft in Douglas Co. by GOD, there may still be time.
Many years ago when we would vacation in Oregon, still living at home at the time in Utah, we stayed at Immigrant Springs up in the Blues out of Pendleton. In June the campground had morels all over on the bare dirt under the trees.
I have to say though, that our luck finding morels up in The Mt Hood Nat. Forest is TERRIBLE!! Chanterelles from the coast range is our bag.

Many years ago when we would vacation in Oregon, still living at home at the time in Utah, we stayed at Immigrant Springs up in the Blues out of Pendleton. In June the campground had morels all over on the bare dirt under the trees.
I have to say though, that our luck finding morels up in The Mt Hood Nat. Forest is TERRIBLE!! Chanterelles from the coast range is our bag.
That's where we were last week and the Morels I picked were just from the woods around our cabin. Lots of people in the woods around the campground including the camp hosts, some with bread sacks full. Kids were picking the Coral mushrooms as well as they were easy to see being orange against the brown duff.

That's where we were last week and the Morels I picked were just from the woods around our cabin. Lots of people in the woods around the campground including the camp hosts, some with bread sacks full. Kids were picking the Coral mushrooms as well as they were easy to see being orange against the brown duff.
The Blue Mountains, or Immigrant Springs? I would figure that they don't don't picking in the campground?
Try looking at the map they give you to pick in the Mt Hood National forest. When you get their required permit. It's freakin' checker board of where you can/can't pick.

Upcoming Events

Good News!! The Carson, WA shows are back!!
Carson, WA
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top