JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"To me the physics of it would indicate that a jacketed bullet is harder to push down a barrel than cast / plated so pressure curves are going to be different, possibly significantly."

That was my main concern. I am guessing the difference in friction may not be that great.
My FMJ bullets designed for a 9mm are sized .355, the same weight cast bullet may be as large as .358. If I tried to push a .358 FMJ down the barrel you bet, pressure would go up. DR

Revived thread. Okay.

I'm on the side that there's no harm in using jacketed bullets with cast bullet rifle loads, so long as they aren't near maximum. Referring here to stick rifle powders. But then again, cast loads aren't apt to be in max. territory. Cast loads often call for faster powders and you can get in trouble with those when approaching max. pressures. Years ago, I blew out a couple of case heads on older 7mm Mauser brass by exceeding a cast load with jacketed bullets.

When DuPont, then IMR printed their own load data for their powders, they had jacketed bullet loads for every IMR powder in their product line for given cartridges. Including things like 4198, 4227, and SR 4759. All of which have commonly been used for cast bullets over the years. I used to load quite a few 8mm Mauser jacketed loads powered by SR 4759. They weren't whizzers, but very comfortable to shoot all afternoon.

I can't recall using "The Load" of Red Dot with jacketed bullets. I restricted those to cast. I had to adjust Ed Harris' recommendations of Red Dot to make it work as advertised in 8x56R Austrian.

I can say that as a teenager, a friend and I took some centerfire rifle cartridges apart, reduced them to ridiculously low volumes, and fired FMJ bullets without blowing up guns. On the other hand, I've had a worn-out .32-20 revolver with a huge cylinder gap that wouldn't shoot a jacketed bullet clear of a 6 inch bbl. Pressure is pressure.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Good News!! The Carson, WA shows are back!!
Carson, WA
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top