JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know you should not ask too much of any one gun, and I am not a fan of hanging a ton of stuff off a rifle, but that is what I am about to do. We travel a lot and I am setting up a gun that can cover a lot of bases. I want something fun to shoot, quiet, cheap, handy, reasonably accurate.

I am using an SBR, AR platform with a CMMG .22 upper with 9" barrel and Thompson can on it. I just moved from a 1-4x to a 1-8x scope for increased accuracy at long distances, plus this one has locking adjustment knobs. I know VFG's have fallen out of coolness, but they work for me and I would really like to keep it. While I do not use the light a lot, it is not something I want to lose, but it could be moved. Where it currently is, allows me to momentarily or constant turn the light with the hand on the VFG shooting from either hand.

I would really like to add a bipod to this rifle. Like the light, it will not get used a lot, but I would hate to not have it on there when I need it. When the bipod is folded forward, I would like it to not extend past the end of the barrel. I have been looking at the bipods that are 2 piece and mount to the side M-lok. One challenge I face with this, is that they likely will only be able to mount them in the set of slots just forward of the VFG. The side slots on the hand guard are not very deep and I am not sure the back plates will fit with the can. I would like to stay under $100 so I have been looking at the inexpensive brands and the UTG appears to have good reviews, most of the ~$35 brands do not.

I did look at the grip pods, as that would fit my need well, but nothing I found had anything good to say about them.

Is there another option I am missing or something else I should consider?

20240430_084459.jpg

Last Edited:
UTG side mounted bipods work, but they are very heavy for what they are. And they add a lot of side bulk to the rifle.

Another couple of lighter weight options:
command arms or Vltor more polymer side mounted bipods.

Lastly, have you looked into Versa Pods?
I realize they are not for everyone, but I like the idea of not having to have a bipod on a rifle all the time.. so it's a half decent compromise with its mounting system. Plus with one bipod you can mount to multiple rifles with its QD system and mounting brackets.

I own 3 Versa pod systems. Not too bad.

UTG side mounted bipods work, but they are very heavy for what they are. And they add a lot of side bulk to the rifle.

Another couple of lighter weight options:
command arms or Vltor more polymer side mounted bipods.

Lastly, have you looked into Versa Pods?
I realize they are not for everyone, but I like the idea of not having to have a bipod on a rifle all the time.. so it's a half decent compromise with its mounting system. Plus with one bipod you can mount to multiple rifles with its QD system and mounting brackets.

I own 3 Versa pod systems. Not too bad.
I will look into them more. That might be an answer. They do not appear to have an M-Lok set up, but I could get a longer bottom rail and use the cam-lock rail mount.

Good to know about the UTG. I will look at the other two.

I know you should not ask too much of any one gun, and I am not a fan of hanging a ton of stuff off a rifle, but that is what I am about to do. We travel a lot and I am setting up a gun that can cover a lot of bases. I want something fun to shoot, quiet, cheap, handy, reasonably accurate.

I am using an SBR, AR platform with a CMMG .22 upper with 9" barrel and Thompson can on it. I just moved from a 1-4x to a 1-8x scope for increased accuracy at long distances, plus this one has locking adjustment knobs. I know VFG's have fallen out of coolness, but they work for me and I would really like to keep it. While I do not use the light a lot, it is not something I want to lose, but it could be moved. Where it currently is, allows me to momentarily or constant turn the light with the hand on the VFG shooting from either hand.

I would really like to add a bipod to this rifle. Like the light, it will not get used a lot, but I would hate to not have it on there when I need it. When the bipod is folded forward, I would like it to not extend past the end of the barrel. I have been looking at the bipods that are 2 piece and mount to the side M-lok. One challenge I face with this, is that they likely will only be able to mount them in the set of slots just forward of the VFG. The side slots on the hand guard are not very deep and I am not sure the back plates will fit with the can. I would like to stay under $100 so I have been looking at the inexpensive brands and the UTG appears to have good reviews, most of the ~$35 brands do not.

I did look at the grip pods, as that would fit my need well, but nothing I found had anything good to say about them.

Is there another option I am missing or something else I should consider?

View attachment 1872851
My suggestions are move light to 3 o clock position then useany bipod u want. Also move the vertical foregrip forward or just get a bipod grip from Amazon for $12-$15 they work well. Also ditch the .22LR unless this is just a range plinker. Why a light on .22lr gun?

My suggestions are move light to 3 o clock position then useany bipod u want. Also move the vertical foregrip forward or just get a bipod grip from Amazon for $12-$15 they work well. Also ditch the .22LR unless this is just a range plinker. Why a light on .22lr gun?
I am not opposed to moving the light, I will just have to find a new mount that works. The M-Lok on the side is unlikely to work with the can in place.

I had looked at the grip pods, but everything I have read said they suck as a grip because they are huge and suck as a bipod.

Why would I ditch the .22? It meets my goal of something fun to shoot, quiet, cheap, handy, reasonably accurate. What else does that?

The light is to see at night. It makes it much easier to see when trying to dispatch critters at night.

I am not opposed to moving the light, I will just have to find a new mount that works. The M-Lok on the side is unlikely to work with the can in place.

I had looked at the grip pods, but everything I have read said they suck as a grip because they are huge and suck as a bipod.

Why would I ditch the .22? It meets my goal of something fun to shoot, quiet, cheap, handy, reasonably accurate. What else does that?

The light is to see at night. It makes it much easier to see when trying to dispatch critters at night.
Sounds like .22 fits you use perfectly. 👍

I respect that everyone has their preferences and things they find ideal so I'll start with that.

I am personally not really a fan of bipods and do not own one.

I find that a pack if in the field (or tree or tree branch or part of my vehicle) a sandbag if off a bench or a window frame or door frame to brace off is almost always more practical for me and keeps the front of my rifle lighter and less cluttered.

If this is not a defensive gun, would having one of those shooting poles that some hunters keep on them be an option?

I respect that everyone has their preferences and things they find ideal so I'll start with that.

I am personally not really a fan of bipods and do not own one.

I find that a pack if in the field (or tree or tree branch or part of my vehicle) a sandbag if off a bench or a window frame or door frame to brace off is almost always more practical for me and keeps the front of my rifle lighter and less cluttered.

If this is not a defensive gun, would having one of those shooting poles that some hunters keep on them be an option?
I mostly agree with you. I only have 3 bipods and they are all on "target" guns. When we travel this gun will be filling the roll of my "target" .22.

I have a set of UTG side mount bipods and a VersaPod sitting around not being used. If interested I'll give you a good price, but VersaPod is going to cost more. The UTGs may be keymod, can't recall and I'm at work. VersaPod is well built, heavy, sturdy and kinda heavy also. Plus it's kinda heavy.

I pretty much use bi-pods as a kick stand, mine are QD ones.
If it's clear to the target I'll shoot prone, most times it's not so a tri-pod works out better.

You could use a 1.93" mount and put a light up on top freeing up the bottom rail.
Inforce lights mount pretty low with the integrated mount.
RFGQ4tHh.jpg

I pretty much use bi-pods as a kick stand, mine are QD ones.
If it's clear to the target I'll shoot prone, most times it's not so a tri-pod works out better.

You could use a 1.93" mount and put a light up on top freeing up the bottom rail.
Inforce lights mount pretty low with the integrated mount.
RFGQ4tHh.jpg

Ignore the naysayers... many militaries issue rifles with grip pods to great effect and many U.S. carbine carriers installed them and liked them.

Czech Republic, the IDF, and many others use grip pods as standard. If you buy a good one they'll last a long time. Mako/F.A.B. T-Pod G2 is excellent and commonly seen on IDF Tavors. They're rugged, they have to survive abuse by conscripts and harsh terrain. The Czech grip pod is excellent as well, it's my preferred option as it's lighter and still swivels. Those pods are actively used by many eastern European militaries and police forces.

Ignore the naysayers... many militaries issue rifles with grip pods to great effect and many U.S. carbine carriers installed them and liked them.

Czech Republic, the IDF, and many others use grip pods as standard. If you buy a good one they'll last a long time. Mako/F.A.B. T-Pod G2 is excellent and commonly seen on IDF Tavors. They're rugged, they have to survive abuse by conscripts and harsh terrain. The Czech grip pod is excellent as well, it's my preferred option as it's lighter and still swivels. Those pods are actively used by many eastern European militaries and police forces.
The biggest complaint I saw was that they are huge compared to other VFG's. I get this is necessity to house the bipod. They are not completely off my list, but I am not sure they are right for my goals.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top