JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You could use the same argument for almost all the classic lever gun cartridges from 30-30 to 45-70. I'll agree that the Whelen is the superior 35 cartridge, but lever guns chambered for it are rare. While the 358 has less power, it is still very effective and a good match for a lever gun.
The 358 makes more sense in semi autos as well but since my chosen hunting rifles are single shots and bolt actions. I will stick with my opinion. The whelen is a superior round.
Then again if I was into levers a nice winchester 88 in 358 would be very nice.

I actually had it and my 1950 Marlin 336A in 35 Remington on here for sale. But with the economy in the toilet no one is making major purchases.

Last Edited:
After some pondering, I've come to the conclusion that there is no "Dream Lever-Gun" for me. In fact I've used/owned/own my basic dream guns- sign of advancing years I suppose. In fact I've ostensibly been thinning the herd the last few years.. hawhaw... and the acquisitive fires of my younger years burn low...
Actually a few years ago I lusted after the Marlin Cowboy rifle- that 9-shot .45-70 behemoth.. but Marlin went belly-up before I could fund the purchase... so much for THAT lever rifle! Ah well, someone else is enjoying it more than I would've, probably.
Meantime, my attention has been drawn by a sporterised Mauser which seriously needs a scope and proper sling...:D

After some pondering, I've come to the conclusion that there is no "Dream Lever-Gun" for me. In fact I've used/owned/own my basic dream guns- sign of advancing years I suppose. In fact I've ostensibly been thinning the herd the last few years.. hawhaw... and the acquisitive fires of my younger years burn low...
Actually a few years ago I lusted after the Marlin Cowboy rifle- that 9-shot .45-70 behemoth.. but Marlin went belly-up before I could fund the purchase... so much for THAT lever rifle! Ah well, someone else is enjoying it more than I would've, probably.
Meantime, my attention has been drawn by a sporterised Mauser which seriously needs a scope and proper sling...:D
The new ruger/Marlin is pretty nice.

There would be several, but they would all (except a couple) be:
  • Octagon 16" barrel
  • Stainless with a black nitride finish
  • Polished/tuned internals
  • Pic rail from rear of receiver to mid barrel, with fold down ghost ring rear sight and front sight would be a mini globe sight. Both sights would have fiber optic tritium insets.
  • Scout scope and/or mini prism 1-1.5X with etched reticle
  • Hogue rubber over molded stock cartridge trap
  • A medium loop lever
  • Take down
The exceptions be the rimless cartridge lever actions would be a Browning BLR takedown in SS with scout scopes. I have this in .308, but I would want one each in .223 and 7.62x39

I got to fondle someone's "Dream Lever Gun" today. At The OAC show. A guy had a Winchester Model 1886 in .45-70. Built 1889. Octagon barrel, crescent butt-stock. A beautiful even patina with a little case coloring left on the reciever. Mmmm BOY! The gentleman commented that he was going to hunt with it this year.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top