JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hell no. "is the item still available?" is at worst a scam or Phishing attempt and at best a lazy buyer not willing to even put enough time in to make a normal inquiry. Chances of such a lazy buyer following through, having the money, meeting when they say they will be there is almost zero. I would never respond to such a person when there are plenty of good poeple on here willing to work with you on a square deal. No need to deal with bottom feeders.

Last Edited:
Probably. The word "item" is a red flag. The language is generic and maybe a little stilted, so I'd be on the alert for a scam. After a little back and forth I'll have a better idea what they're all about.

This is assuming that you mean here on NWFA and that I have an item currently listed in the classifieds.

I don't know, how old is the ad? How long have they been a member, what is there feedback? Not enough information. How am I getting scammed here?
Agree. But in answer to your last question there are lots of ways. They get a conversation going and collect info for identify theft or worse (I.e. phishing). Fe a popular scam on Craigslist right now is once they get a conversation going with you (I.e. set the hook) they say they want to send you a code via text (I can't remember the excuse for why but apparently it's convincing I think it was something so they will be able to continue to communicate maybe).

Once you click on that code they now have control of your phone. And nowadays lots of people store important info on their phone. Many other examples out there also. Most of those scams start with "is the item still available?".

If they can't even name what it is for sale that tells you that you are either getting hit by one of the scams or it's a lazy potential buyer, one of the two. And neither are something I would want to deal with personally.

Last Edited:
"is the item still available?" i is at worst a scam or Phishing attempt and at best a lazy buyer not willing to even put enough time in to make a normal inquiry.

I agree with this. I'm guessing the purpose of asking about the generic "item" is the sender is shotgunning the same message to many different sellers at once and doesn't want to bother with customizing the message. The sender could send that message to the first 100 ads he sees without modification. Someone will bite! Plenty of fish in the sea!

Yes ad is on here and a month or two old, a couple of weeks ago since I bumped it last. Sender signed up yesterday and messaged me a couple of hours later.

Was just curious if someone else might have gotten that same message. If I put an ad on Craigslist i get replies like that very often. They either want to "send" moneys or never lead anywhere. So I don't respond any more. This was the first time here though.

Hell no. "is the item still available?" is at worst a scam or Phishing attempt and at best a lazy buyer not willing to even put enough time in to make a normal inquiry. Chances of such a lazy buyer following through, having the money, meeting when they say they will be there is almost zero. I would never respond to such a person when there are plenty of good poeple on here willing to work with you on a square deal. No need to deal with bottom feeders.
Love it when a 0/0/0 joined yesterday and offers you fire sale prices for you guns lol like the rump clown is doing me a solid

For some your ad connects poorly in conveying what you are selling.

It reads as "Leupold [unknown product name] 24mm." "Alumina" isn't really the best know Leupy line.

I really did not know what it was. At which point I clicked on the ad hoping for 24mm something cool. And then I saw unexpected item. Which would have been cool if I were expecting that kind of accessory. But I wasn't.

Un-scannable.

I just started shrieking uncontrollably, barely able to produce anything intelligible. All I could get out was "item" and a bunch of slobber.

So that is how it becomes "item." In perhaps in roughly 25-35% of the population.

Maybe put more of a descriptive name in your ad title. Like "flip up cover" or whatever that thing is. Then people like me can ask more directly about it, without plunking a bot-like boner.

Heck no. My experience is from selling on Craigslist. Any response that was nonsensical or asking if I still had it was deleted on the spot. I want to see complete sentences and coherent thoughts in reply's to my for sale ads.

I have no time to waste on short responses from people that want to scam me.

On this site, I have responded many times to timid inquiries such as this and wound up selling the item in question to them.
I've also had very engaging questions from prospective buyers who turn out to be less than forthright individuals.
Money talks, BS walks.
From Craigslist, though? Fak No.

Pondering new classified "Generic nondescript item"
Ad TypeFor SaleFor Trade
Price$140
ManufacturerUnknown
CityHillsboro
StateOregon
Never used
Trade for other generic item

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show