JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This London firefighter has run this marathon 7 times before.

This time it took him 9 hours and 22 minutes.

The winning time, by another competitor was 2:04

Why did it take this firefighter so long?

Because he was weighted down with 40kg (88#) of firefighting gear.

Bear in mind, firefighters are some of the most physically fit first responders.

Think about that when you are putting together/reviewing your GHB/BOB.

This London firefighter has run this marathon 7 times before.

This time it took him 9 hours and 22 minutes.

The winning time, by another competitor was 2:04

Why did it take this firefighter so long?

Because he was weighted down with 40kg (88#) of firefighting gear.

Bear in mind, firefighters are some of the most physically fit first responders.

Think about that when you are putting together/reviewing your GHB/BOB.

Thats just another day in the Infantry! ;)

Ain't that the truth. Haha. Even better is when the hump occurs in loose dry sand. Uphill. Both ways. 100+ degrees. Haha.
Here just climb this 9mile high mountain in the middle of the night full kit at a slow pace and take a mortar team with you (also noise/light discipline) so NOD's on.

Now you'll sit up there for about 2 or 3 days so enjoy the nice freezing cold temps from all the sweat caked gear you had on climbing up the past hour+. Hope you also enjoy less oxygen at higher altitudes and a nice beaming sun on you all day. God bless BOB.

For fun take this combat journo with you who will stop and complain about every 20mins and need a break.

Here just climb this 9mile high mountain in the middle of the night full kit at a slow pace and take a mortar team with you (also noise/light discipline) so NOD's on.

Now you'll sit up there for about 2 or 3 days so enjoy the nice freezing cold temps from all the sweat caked gear you had on climbing up the past hour+. Hope you also enjoy less oxygen at higher altitudes and a nice beaming sun on you all day. God bless BOB.

For fun take this combat journo with you who will stop and complain about every 20mins and need a break.
It's better then being a broke d!ck. Haha

Oh I miss the days. Military life SUCKED! Haha. But the crazy thing is that it was much easier and much more simple than civilian life. I wish I was still in, although I probably would have been kicked out or NJP'd due to the some direction the military is going. Sadly.

Embrace the suck. Through and through. Military makes you resilient that's for sure. Glad I got the privilege and opportunity to serve.

Semper Fidelis.

Maybe - I am 6'6", so 270-280# is not morbidly obese and it is balanced better than carrying it on my back, plus I gained it gradually over the years. I was very skinny in my 20s, I was an absolute beanpole when I was a teen.
6'6" - Same as my dad. But he was only 210 max. 140 when lung cancer took him. BAD WAY to lose weight, I might add. These days, I can't even run for my life.

6'6" - Same as my dad. But he was only 210 max. 140 when lung cancer took him. BAD WAY to lose weight, I might add. These days, I can't even run for my life.
Being able to move is one of the most under looked aspects of being prepared. Not saying everyone needs to be Olympic athletes but somewhat efficient.

Gym memberships wouldn't hurt to add in your budgets tbh.

Or at least investing in some basic gym equipment weights and adopt a regular training regime. For cardio you can do walks around the neighborhood aim for at least a couple miles daily. Don't have to run but running will help with endurance. If you have a local football field track go use that. 8 laps is 2 miles, again you can walk it every day.

Exercise is a good thing for the body and helps clear the head. Not saying you need to become rugged MMA fighters or Arnold's but like 3 or 4 days a week will help out long run.

You should be well aquainted with, and regularly use any gear you own, and understand the effects it has on your mobility and speed.

There are a bunch of people that would have a rude awakening if they ever needed to actually use the crap they keep for a rainy day.

Case in point, I went on a 40 mile, multi night backpacking trip a couple weeks ago. My Salomon boots (which I've used on more than one long hike) for some reason decided to rub the skin off the back of both of my heels about 3 miles in. Even though I had moleskin, it made for alot of painful miles.

Use the stuff you might depend on.

Yould be surprised what we accept these days, definitely lowering standards in some areas.
Doesn't change the facts.

An overweight 68 yr old with heart/lung issues, high blood pressure, failing eyesight, half deaf, sleep apnea/RLS/RSBD and a bad back is not a good candidate for the military, more like a future candidate for a nursing home

There are a bunch of people that would have a rude awakening if they ever needed to actually use the crap they keep for a rainy day.
Using it is one thing, packing it around on your back something else altogether. I've seen the lists people have for their GHBs & BOBs - half of it is unnecessary.

That's the point of this thread.

Gym memberships wouldn't hurt to add in your budgets tbh.

Or at least investing in some basic gym equipment weights and adopt a regular training regime. For cardio you can do walks around the neighborhood aim for at least a couple miles daily. Don't have to run but running will help with endurance. If you have a local football field track go use that. 8 laps is 2 miles, again you can walk it every day.

Exercise is a good thing for the body and helps clear the head. Not saying you need to become rugged MMA fighters or Arnold's but like 3 or 4 days a week will help out long run.
Yup. When covid kicked off I was basically forced to create an at home gym. No more gym membership for me. Now it's out the door and into my garage. Daily.

Physical fitness goes hand in hand with concealed carry/defense tactics in my opinion.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top