JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have loaded tons of 5.56 for semi and full auto. I have tried H335, 3031, H380, AA2230 and 748. I am loading on a Dillon 1050 and over the Chrony I have seen the best consistency and have settled on 748. I also use 748 for my 7.62 loads

Any updates on this thread? Wonder if the new CFE powder works well?

Not just well, but great. Super consistent in just about any powder measure. Almost no copper fouling, even with the fastest of loads. Any "soot" that remains in the bore wipes out as easy as can be and no hard carbon fouling in the BCG.

Also, I find it great in my .308 loads. First tests were promising and after a "Ladder Test" at 300 yards I've found a load that's every bit as good as anything loaded with Varget. The benefit is that it's not as erratic when metered from the Dillon Powder measure on my Progressive as with Varget. Accurate ammo when I want lots of it, in a hurry.

I like it so much I just bought 32# of it.

BTW, my chronographed loads with CFE223 are 75-100 fps faster in my .308 using same bullet/weights with no "crunching" and no pressure signs.

Greetings,
Need to pick your brain for the best powder for reloading .223 AR-15, 55 gr. bullets.
I've heard that 748 has had some issues with pressure spikes.
Blue Skies!

you heard wrong, or someone who thinks Varget is a good choice told you that.....
THEE bench rest load forever and a day was 26.6gr 748 with a 55gr.
Personally in my guns I use 27. 26 cycles so softly, I wasn't sure it was.

If you like how the Tin/bismuth in 748 kept copper at bay, go for the increased rates in CFE223. Hodgy's "extreme" powders tend to Hard Carbon your bore quickly, and have issues when used outside of their intended cartridge.

Google Dr. Denton Bramwell, or read his work over on shootersforum; Varget is a steaming pile in the 223.

i use varget and wc844, just picked up 24 #'s of cfe223 and gonna give that a try as well.
as for now my go to powder is varget however it doesnt meter well causing the powder drop to stick every once in a while as for the loads they have been very accurate and consistant with 25gr of varget under any 55gr bullet and winchester primed.
i only use the 844 for surplus pulled bullets for plinking

Let's included favorite primers as well as powders in this thread. Timely topic of interest for many.

OK--My absolute favorite primer for my AR's are the Wolf/Tula ".223 Primer". Been using them since the last "Panic". A good "anti-slam fire" primer at a reasonable price. Nice consistency in speeds when measured over the chronograph. Every bit as good as the CCI 41's for half the price. Even 30% less in price than the standard small rifle primers.

Last order had 10,000 of them on it.

More likely my shaking :)

Don't know about that. I sure do like that V-Max bullet though. I also shoot a ton of the 168 gr and 178 gr A-Max bullets in my .308 with amazing results. Almost as good as the traditional match grade bullets and in some cases superior in loooooooong shots.

Bullet lengths are more uniform and the meplats more uniform. A big "high-five" to Hornady on this whole line of bullets with the poly tips.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top