JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I cry like a baby when I have to put one of my dogs down because I love them and they love me. The closest thing I can compare it to is they are very much like my child is to me and I hope she well out lives me.

Other people while I like some, I really don't care for a lot and my extended family (the good and the bad) do not spend every single day of their lives with me so even though they are human - they do not have the same bond with me that my dogs have.

That's my situation at least.

I cry like a baby when I have to put one of my dogs down because I love them and they love me. The closest thing I can compare it to is they are very much like my child is to me and I hope she well out lives me.

Other people while I like some, I really don't care for a lot and my extended family (the good and the bad) do not spend every single day of their lives with me so even though they are human - they do not have the same bond with me that my dogs have.

That's my situation at least.
I shed more than a few tears for every dog I have to say goodby too. Guess its because no human in my life has EVER treated me the way my dogs do when I come home from work. There is an old saying about "I wish I could be the person my dog thinks I am".

Our last American Bulldog tore both ACLs and we spent nearly $10K getting him fixed up. Would have spent much more than that if needed. A dog can reach a part of your heart that I don't think another person can.
James

I shed more than a few tears for every dog I have to say goodby too. Guess its because no human in my life has EVER treated me the way my dogs do when I come home from work. There is an old saying about "I wish I could be the person my dog thinks I am".
I had a hole in my heart for the last 4 years when my little buddy passed after 17 years of more or less going everywhere with me, including work. He slept on the floor next to my bed and was 100% my dog (even though he loved my wife and daughter but it wasn't the same).

I have struggled without him at times and have missed him horribly.

I want sure I could do another round but having this new pup in my life has helped more then I could have thought possible.

I still miss my bud but I have another one that has fast attached to me and loves my wife so she is a good pet for us and now that hole doesn't hurt near as bad as it has for the last few years.

One of Gods few mistakes was making dogs lives so short.

Your poor dog.
IMG_2453.jpeg

I had a hole in my heart for the last 4 years when my little buddy passed after 17 years of more or less going everywhere with me, including work. He slept on the floor next to my bed and was 100% my dog (even though he loved my wife and daughter but it wasn't the same).

I have struggled without him at times and have missed him horribly.

I want sure I could do another round but having this new pup in my life has helped more then I could have thought possible.

I still miss my bud but I have another one that has fast attached to me and loves my wife so she is a good pet for us and now that hole doesn't hurt near as bad as it has for the last few years.

One of Gods few mistakes was making dogs lives so short.
I have always been one to when a dog passes I am looking for another. Often the "search" pans out, sometimes one finds me. We currently have 4. I never would have believed I would have 4 of them at the same damn time. The last one we were supposed to just find a home for. She was a couple years old, had never been allowed outside, was abused. She took a liking to me hard and soon I just could not allow Wife to find a new home for her. She follows me everywhere I go now and sleeps next to me. Even when I am working nights and sleep during the day. As soon as I go lay down she is there in seconds. Having been locked up for 2 years and now living on 60 acres she wants her walks twice a day. Rain, snow, ice, she doesn't care. Our other dogs if its raining will look outside and go back inside saying "are you kidding? I'm not going out in that". She doesn't care. Been great for me, had to buy my uniform pants 2 sizes smaller in the waist after all that walking time :D
I do still miss several other dogs that are long gone but it sure helps to walk in the door after work and have 4 of them bouncing around barking and wanting attention all at the same time. :)
Edit: now that I am home here's a pic of the one who that won my heart. That face was why when it took Wife a few weeks to find a good home for her it was too late. :s0140:

Sandy.png

Last Edited:
Our last American Bulldog tore both ACLs and we spent nearly $10K getting him fixed up. Would have spent much more than that if needed. A dog can reach a part of your heart that I don't think another person can.
James
We recently spent 4K getting one dogs teeth fixed. Wife and I were both laughing about it at the time. Saying we never thought we would see the day we would do that. :s0140:

We recently spent 4K getting one dogs teeth fixed. Wife and I were both laughing about it at the time. Saying we never thought we would see the day we would do that. :s0140:
I used to think people were crazy for spending thousands on procedures for pets...until my dog needed ventral slot surgery to fix a slipped disc in his neck, which cost me $12k!

It gave me 4 more years with him. Worth every penny.

I spent about 10k on two dogs last year. Without insurance it woulda been 40k. They are both dead now. They both were 18. They had all kinds of special care. Like someone else mentioned… they had more care than me.

I have always been one to when a dog passes I am looking for another. Often the "search" pans out, sometimes one finds me. We currently have 4. I never would have believed I would have 4 of them at the same damn time. The last one we were supposed to just find a home for. She was a couple years old, had never been allowed outside, was abused. She took a liking to me hard and soon I just could not allow Wife to find a new home for her. She follows me everywhere I go now and sleeps next to me. Even when I am working nights and sleep during the day. As soon as I go lay down she is there in seconds. Having been locked up for 2 years and now living on 60 acres she wants her walks twice a day. Rain, snow, ice, she doesn't care. Our other dogs if its raining will look outside and go back inside saying "are you kidding? I'm not going out in that". She doesn't care. Been great for me, had to buy my uniform pants 2 sizes smaller in the waist after all that walking time :D
I do still miss several other dogs that are long gone but it sure helps to walk in the door after work and have 4 of them bouncing around barking and wanting attention all at the same time. :)
Edit: now that I am home here's a pic of the one who that won my heart. That face was why when it took Wife a few weeks to find a good home for her it was too late. :s0140:

View attachment 1885737
Good on you doing the walks!

I went from being a cave dweller..sometimes not leaving the house for days at a time, to being FORCED to take our pup on three walks a day.

He's a natural 'sniffer' and gets bored easily. He also absolutely refuses to just do his business in the back yard. I can let out ten times a day to run around, but he won't potty. So, no choice but to make trips to the park or around the block.

It gets tiring sometimes, but it forces me to get up earlier than I normally would and I get some exercise myself, beyond just weights.

cost me $12k!

It gave me 4 more years with him. Worth every penny.

I spent about 10k on two dogs last year. Without insurance it woulda been 40k. They are both dead now.
These two differing results make it tough to say how much is enough. We had a cat that cost us a few grand in "tests" while it continued to decline health-wise. The poor cat got to the point we didn't want to see her suffer anymore. When we called to arrange a "final trip" to the vet, they asked if we wanted to have them run more tests. They had no clue what was wrong with her. I told my wife, if they could guarantee me another five years with the cat for ten thousand dollars, I'd write that check right now. Financing another fishing expedition while the cat was suffering, didn't interest me.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top