JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Best "Fighting Revolver" ever made!
1715206572972.png

Just 'cause it was one of , if not the first practical fighting revolver.
The Colt 1851 Navy.
I know the Patterson Model came out first ..but it is / was a bit fragile.
The 1851 is a robust , accurate , and easy to carry revolver.

I know the following will be met with disdain and disbelief...
But I wouldn't feel under gunned with one as a self defense firearm.
Andy

The S&W Model 15 'Combat Masterpiece'......the name says it all!
I carried mine for half of my career as a uniformed LEO. 4 inch, blue steel, six shot .38 special was enough for the Dept. Yeah, I wanted a .357 mag M19 or M66 but that wasn't gonna happen. When the Dept. switched to the SS S&W M67 I kept the M15 determined to be the "Old Fart" and as my protest to modernity without much gain.

So anyway, finally the day came when the Dept. switched to the semi auto S&W 6906 9mm with 15 round magazines. Well, that sounded a lot better. So, I gave up my M15.

Which reminds me.....that the new fangled revolvers can be had with a greater capacity v the old six rounds. Whatever, it appears that I can still count that far. So, I've been sticking to the six rounds, as my "magic number" for a revolver.

BUT, mind you that was for "open holster carry". For CCW, I picked up a 2", 5 shot, .38 special, SS, S&W M60.

As for what rounds?

My last issued rounds were the 158 grain LSWCHP .38 Special +P round. Commonly called the FBI load today. Before that, the 125 grn .38 special +P semi-jacketed hollow point was issued/used. I used them in my M60 for the longest time.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
There are some times when a small revolver is the best/only choice for carry. Say it's mid spring, the weathers getting nice, and the shorts and tee shirts are coming out, a small frame revolver makes lots of sense here, and while some could argue there are also small enough semi autos, the issue isn't capacity, it's POWER! Would you rather have a .25 auto, or .32, or would you rather have a full pop 9mm or .38 special, 10mm auto, or even better .357 mag or .41 mag?
See where this is going? The topic of this thread is: What makes for a really good "Fighting Revolver" if you find your self in a situation where a revolver might be the best or only choice!

For me, a 4 inch Colt Python in .357 Mag is the perfect carry wheel gun, next to that, a Ruger GP-101 or even an old school Red Hawk, also in .357 Mag makes for a great choice, not as small or light, but when it comes to POWER, i'm not backing down to anything less then a 9mm!

Normally, I carry a full size semi auto double stack in a very powerful caliber, and I also carry a B.U.G. usually a Colt New Agent or New Detective in an ankle holster, cause you just never know!
View attachment 1878387
Everything is about give and take, firearms are tools for that days specified needs according to the user. I own a SP101 and tho pretty small it is heavier and carries bulkier than say my Glock 43x/Hellcat that is super slim/short/lighter and has 15 round capacity in 9mm. There are others that are very similar in size/capacity/weight as my 2 current carry choices but obviously not as powerful as say .357. 9mm is a good carry caliber especially with defense rounds. Other things to think about is trigger pull vs a double action revolver is much better as when you add stress to a defensive situation you may not have time to put the revolver in single action to get over the longer/heavier trigger pull of a revolver not to mention be very smooth with the DA trigger under stress and not pull muzzle downward while rapid fire situation occurs. And talking about adding stress to a defensive situation what happens if you miss because target is moving, this is where capacity is king among other things imo. Like I said all our tools are give and take and also choosing the right firearm for the situation becomes important. Again I am not trying to tell anyone what's best for them just listing other things to think about when choosing to carry revolver as a fighting pistol that may require more than 5-6 rounds. In the end a revolver doesn't beat a semi auto in anything but more powerful round and reliability if you buy into that which I don't but others do. I guess I questioned the word fighting instead of carry pistol as my definition is definitely different as imo carry pistol better describes a revolver. But to some those are just words, but I like your idea of semi auto on the hip and revolver on the ankle. Not trying to offend in any way, just my opinion offcourse but here is my revolver for your viewing pleasure compared to my Hellcat. I really like the 101, and actually need to shoot it more.

20240508_195107.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top