JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A woman is expected to spend an hour washing, primping and applying makeup before stepping outdoors or get sneers and condemnation from many, both men and women.
Not in my world. But a person going out in public should have some sort of pride in the way they look. When I was working I'd need to go to the store for things for dinner afterward. It's 4 in the afternoon. I went dirty. There's a difference between needing to go at a certain time and being a slob. But then it is a free country. If you want to broadcast to anyone who may look that you don't care if you look like and unkempt slob. You get to!

I recall sneering complaints about women shoppers at Wal-Mart's attire decades ago. A guy can toss on jeans and a T shirt and go to Wal-Mart unwashed, unshaved, etc and nobody complains. A woman is expected to spend an hour washing, primping and applying makeup before stepping outdoors or get sneers and condemnation from many, both men and women.
Those complaints - people will complain about anything. Personally, I don't expect anything beyond basic hygiene out of either sex. Lots of us prefer minimal or no makeup on a woman.

I am in such a good place now . How I got here was through a set of very peculiar circumstances loosely tied to being a screaming jackass early on. Anything I would do to try to change the early on failures or misadventures would butterfly effect and hose my current reality.

Wouldnt change a thing.

I recently made the mistake, (Serious Mistake!), of going on line to get insurance quotes after our beloved State Farm damn near DOUBLED our rates after we got a new car. Don't ever put your phone number on line like that! The people that call incessantly after that don't necessarily have English as a first language. When I asked for someone else to speak to, who I might understand better, on the call from Allstate, the gal hung up on me.
You are not alone in that way of thinking. I believe that if you are in the United States of America as a citizen, naturalized or a certified ,documented immigrant doing migrant work you should have at least, the most rudimentary command of the English language. OK spouse and children are exempt when in the company of a English speaking individual to act as an interpreter. I speak and comprehend a few other languages. The filth that I have heard coming from some immigrant workers mouths concerning the pretty, young girls who work at counter sales has made me to speak out on her and Americas behalf. It's time to restore our borders and reinstall our border policies that were working but now have been removed to the detriment of the United States. Border policy! Here's another reason to Make America Great Again!

Sure @Honest Injun . I happily bequeath you the title of incorrigible.
Cheers,
Carol
I thank you for recognizing my right to not change. I am proud to be honest, moral, and benevolent. All are qualities of, but not limited to the requirements to be called the Honest Injun. Being proud doesn't negate humility. Proud to be certain especially if you first say "The Few" first and "The Marines" after. Proud on America!

You are not alone in that way of thinking. I believe that if you are in the United States of America as a citizen, naturalized or a certified ,documented immigrant doing migrant work you should have at least, the most rudimentary command of the English language. OK spouse and children are exempt when in the company of a English speaking individual to act as an interpreter. I speak and comprehend a few other languages. The filth that I have heard coming from some immigrant workers mouths concerning the pretty, young girls who work at counter sales has made me to speak out on her and Americas behalf. It's time to restore our borders and reinstall our border policies that were working but now have been removed to the detriment of the United States. Border policy! Here's another reason to Make America Great Again!
I agree we need to get control of our border and stop allowing illegal immigration. However, most of us are probably descended from ancestors some of whom were immigrants who did not speak English and never learned it. We imagine the noble immigrants of yore coming to America and learning English and immediately mixing into the great melting pot. But they didn't . Not unless you think of the melting pot as being full of large lumps of pure people from particular places that persisted for generations. (Thomas Sowell has written a number of books on immigrants from various nations to various nations and what they did when they got there.)

Most immigrants settled in towns or cities or sections of cities where there were many others from the exact same town in Europe or wherever, and where everyone or nearly everyone spoke their language. So they could get jobs, marry, raise kids and start businesses of their own without ever learning English. Learning a new language is not easy to do as an adult. Particularly if you are a peasant or a poor person who is illiterate in your own language and/or you are working nearly every waking hour at some physically strenuous job. I recently looked at the list of signatures on the Mayflower Compact, which was signed by all adult males while the ship lay at anchor before landing. The Mayflower Compact laid out the rules they established to govern themselves and is considered a forerunner of the Constitution. They had a charter from the king of England for setting up a colony in Virginia. But they were nowhere near Virginia. And the sailing season was over, the stormy season was upon them, and there was no time left to head South and look for Virginia. There were a good number of Xes instead of signatures on that document . I recently made a stab at learning Mandarin. What a fiasco. Its clear I would not be able to learn it well enough to be useful at this point even if my life depended on it. And in spite of having learned three foreign languages in my youth. And not being required to do hard physical labor all day.

The usual pattern for our noble immigrant ancestors is that one or more of their kids would learn English from going to public school, and served as translator for his or her parents. Then by the third generation all of them would know English. The melting pot took three generations. The first generation, if they learned English at all, normally didn't know it well enough to conduct business or legal matters in it. You see exactly the same patterns with American China towns today.

Some of my ancestors were from England or the Scottish Highlands, or Ireland. Some came over on the Mayflower. But some were German and came over before Germany was actually a country, before WWI. And they settled in one of the many German towns in Missouri. These places had German language newspapers, German language schools, German language churches, German styles of architecture, German restaurants, and German bars. Like German emigrants everywhere, they loved and celebrated German culture and German holidays, and were very hardworking, technically skilled, and entreprenurial, and started breweries and farms and mines and factories and industries with more advanced German methods than America had. But they had no particular loyalty to Germany the country. And in fact were pretty apolitical. However they normally willingly served in the military in time of war.

Y'all don't suppose we could swing the discussion back around to the OP topic of :
What gun advice would you give a younger you ?
And steer clear of other topics that drift into the verboten category of political content that ain't 2nd Amendment / directly firearm related..
Getting tired of reading all of that lately in many threads.
Andy

If I had a few minutes to go back in time and tell myself the most important things I know now that I wished I had learned earlier, I don't think anything about guns or shooting would be imprtant enough to make the cut.

In the 90's I bought a dozen or so milsurp rifles and another 8 or so handguns on my CC&R license MUCH to my parents dismay.

I should have bought more and paid a premium for nicer. Oh, and a LOT more .30 cal black tip pulls!

¿Por que? No comprende o no escuela?
Cuz I don't want to. I understand Italian plenty well, but I don't speak Spanish unless I salt it liberally with my Italian. Spanish and Italian are two tongues of the Romance Languages, and are quite similar - probably the most similar of the five Romance Languages. So, if Hispanics don't understand me after that, then I've made my effort to understand them in my own country, so they should learn to speak English in this country. I try to speak the native tongue when I travel to other countries/regions, or I arrange for an interpreter. I don't feel I should have to Press 1 for English in my own country...

I don't feel I should have to Press 1 for English in my own country...
How about reserve the numeral "1" on the key pad for a universal message listing what numbers to push for what languages? That way English speakers can get on with their phone business and people that don't speak English can listen to the message until their particular dialect comes up?

Seems to me we need an official language for the USA and yes it should be english since it is the most spoken.

The United States does not have an official language. English is the most widely used language in the U.S., and some states designate it as their official language.

Since we dont actually have an official language maybe we could accept that fact that people speak different languages than the one you happen to speak. Really not that much of a stretch is it?

Since we dont actually have an official language maybe we could accept that fact that people speak different languages than the one you happen to speak. Really not that much of a stretch is it?
kind of disagree - recognizing that other languages exist does not replace the need for an official language - in my opinion.

How about we finally declare an official language, and accept that most of us have always accepted the fact that some people speak different languages? I'm sure we can do both, and I'm absolutely sure that in America, we speak English.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews