JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I need to work on a pistol slide and was thinking maybe a good "soft jaw" to keep the slide from being scratched would be thick leather? Curious what people have been using.

Also I need to punch out a sight and don't have the sight pusher tool so what do u guys use for a non-marring punch? I'm thinking maybe a thick piece of nylon taped to the end of a metal punch. I guess I could always try to find a nylon tipped punch but they don't seem to be readily available like metal punches are. At least on the places that I looked so far fwiw.

Thanks in advance for an opinions or ideas!

I either use leather or shop rags if I need a really tight grip. If I don't need as much stability then these do the trick https://www.amazon.com/ATLIN-Vise-J...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

What do you define as "soft"?? Machinists would say that alum jaws are soft jaws. I have wrapped a tshirt around parts, and also have the above soft-jaws. They do compress and move around, so I completely agree they are not for secure holding. I like jigs/fixtures better.

Sounds like guns are your vice ;)

For my vise, I have some like posted above from Amazon, nylon, magnetically attached and have various grooves for cylindrical parts etc.

I usually use wooden blocks. I've also got some copper jaw covers for a vise. There is a difference between non-marring and non-scratching. Blued steel falls under the latter. You have to be careful with jaw covers of any kind of material. There can be tiny bits of harder metal impregnated into soft jaw covers from previous work. Difficult to see. That's why I like to use virgin wood blocks on anything that doesn't want to get scratched.

I recently found something that works great for soft vise jaws. I was cleaning up an old powder measure that I acquired, and it had a knurled piece that was rusted tight. I soaked it for a while but had to clamp onto it, and didn't want to mar the knurling. I found that some scrap pieces of Garlock Gylon work very, very well.

We use it for making gaskets at work, and it's very expensive. The scraps that I throw away after a big project would make dozens of vise jaws. I'll try to remember to save some next time, if anyone wants to try it.

My vise has wood on the jaw faces which work for many situations. Also use shop rags around the firearm in the vise as well.

Cleaning HMR.jpg

Ruger PCC in vise.jpg

I normally use heavily oiled leather and have never scratched a gun.

I plan on someday making some replacement hardwood jaws and glue some permanent leather strips on them when I get 'aroundtoit' !

IMG_2133.JPG

I knew a gunsmith that had steel jaws that were polished to a mirror shine.
I was skeptical, but never saw him mar a firearm after using it.

I use pieces of old leather belts. If I'm filing anything I'll toss the leather afterwards. Virgin hardwood as well. That's why I don't use the soft jaw inserts. They hold shavings. For small parts I use sections of old credit cards or motel key cards held in place with tape. As for sights, either use a brass or aluminum punch or invest in a good sight pusher.

I need to work on a pistol slide and was thinking maybe a good "soft jaw" to keep the slide from being scratched would be thick leather? Curious what people have been using.

Also I need to punch out a sight and don't have the sight pusher tool so what do u guys use for a non-marring punch? I'm thinking maybe a thick piece of nylon taped to the end of a metal punch. I guess I could always try to find a nylon tipped punch but they don't seem to be readily available like metal punches are. At least on the places that I looked so far fwiw.

Thanks in advance for an opinions or ideas!

sight pusher makes it much more pleasant.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top