JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That looks like a killer recipe! Thanks, gonna try it this weekend (haven't seen the Goslings rum at the base Class VI stores, will try BevMo or Total Wine & More).
Careful! I was told, by someone, that the "Mojito" was developed to completely mask the taste of the horrible, rot-gut rum way back when. I can tell you with confidence that it does just that! So be careful.
Maybe not so much with the bolder flavored rum available today, but regular gold rum's flavor is not noticed in a proper mojito.

Feel like hell, so it's Hot Toddys this evening.

IMG_3575.jpeg

Just downed a blue lemonade daiquiri and 2 songs into karaoke night. Feathered Indian and Fast Hand. I told DJ to pick a song from my past history. I guess it is a country night. DJ is pretty cool. I have gotten him a Christmas gift the last 2 years.

Buffalo Trace and ginger. Sitting on hold to change my wife's flight - the longer they make me wait, the more I drink. Should be a fun conversation when they finally pick up.

image.jpg

It may be two fingers of Glen Livet over ice. I'll know after I move my boat and trailer around so I can pressure wash that part of the driveway. :rolleyes:

Make that three fingers. Bloody boat gets heavier every year. :s0001:

Last Edited:
Not drinking these days. But once in a while I wander into the liquor aisles where it's sold. I used to work part time in a retail liquor business; I look for some of the brands that were steady movers when I did that work. There is a lot more variety now in distilled spirits than there was 55 years ago.

My dad's choice was sour mash bourbon whiskey. When I was a youngster, he liked Jim Beam. After work, he'd make a single highball with soda water. In the 1960's, he switched to Old Crow, which was a top seller up until the 1980's. I've read that at the distillery, they screwed up the setback formula and changed the taste of Old Crow, which caused them to lose market share. Later, Jim Beam bought out Old Crow, and completely abandoned its original recipe. Old Crow, when you can find it, now is made to the same mashbill as Jim Beam, but it's aged three years instead of four for Beam. Old Crow is 80 proof; Jim Beam is 86.

I always look at the prices. You have to be careful as to how taxes are presented in the price. In Wash., we have package store state sales tax of 20.5%, plus $3.7708 spirits liter tax. Lately I was at an IGA store on Camano Island, and noticed their shelf prices had base price in big numbers, then below in smaller type were the two sales taxes, broken out separately.

On-sale liquor taxes are less than off premises retail sales. But people drinking in a bar probably never notice these.

At the Navy Exchange, there are no taxes. When you are on a cruise ship, they are duty free but when you disembark from the ship, you may only bring two liters back into the US tax free. Some states (Texas), have tax agents sitting at a card table at the foot of the ramp, asking if you have purchased alcohol during your trip. If you say yes, they will nail you for a Texas state tax. They don't inspect, it's voluntary. Pretend you didn't hear them.

When I was selling liquor, in our store we sold a lot of half pints and pints. Now when I peruse the liquor aisles, I don't see many of these sizes. But I'm guessing in other parts of town, they may still be popular.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top