JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Please bear with me on this one. After almost 70 years, I'm still trying to comprehend why Americans describing things from Belgium, or even the people themselves, as 'Belgium' and not 'Belgian'.

You don't say that a gun made in England is an 'England' gun, or that a car from Germany is a 'Germany' car.

Every country has its correct adjective, Scotland/Scottish, Ireland/Irish, Finland/Finnish, Indonesia/Indonesian and so on.

Belgium has Belgian.

So why not?
Spell check said it was good...so there is that....Besides..English is my second language...I grew up speaking Southern. :D

I would suspect that be it correct or not...it is just a quirk of American English or perhaps a regional turn of speech.
Lazy speech and writing patterns ? ...Lack of coffee ? I don't know.
Andy

Last Edited:
Might this have been one of the late dated muskets made for the "native" hunting trade in places like equatorial Afrika and Asia? The locals wanted/needed firearms for hunting and protection in the bush but needed them to be simple and easily serviced and of no major threat to the European occupiers... Such were also used as Indian trade guns around the Great Lakes region in the pre-cartridge era. One could do much worse than a 20ga flint fowler...
Coulld be , However...
It is stamped "Made in Belgium" near the breech ...so I would say that it was imported to an English speaking country.

It is also not made in the style of those imported to Africa or Asia ..as a general rule.
Andy

1854 Treeby chain gun

977F860F-789A-47D5-8E37-E9B4E90445FF.png

Uberti make a nice replica of the Smith carbine, and Erasgone make a suitable bullet - so what's stopping y'all?
Non existent percussion caps for starters. Black powder hard to find too. Uberti replica probably very spendy I would guess? Their 1858 revolving carbine I'm tempted to buy due to low price but still no way to shoot it with supplies being non existent.

Non existent percussion caps for starters. Black powder hard to find too. Uberti replica probably very spendy I would guess? Their 1858 revolving carbine I'm tempted to buy due to low price but still no way to shoot it with supplies being non existent.
It is just so sad to read how the home of fun shooting can be so short of shooting supplies. I wish't I lived nearer so's we could share stuff. :(

It is just so sad to read how the home of fun shooting can be so short of shooting supplies. I wish't I lived nearer so's we could share stuff. :(
No kidding I actually had to buy an extra gun with percussion caps to get ANY percussion caps. I have been looking for months and months. They don't exist. People who are already into muzzle loading buy them in bulk so there is zero, and I do mean zero, left for the rest of us. Oh well that's the way it goes, supply and demand.

No kidding I actually had to buy an extra gun with percussion caps to get ANY percussion caps. I have been looking for months and months. They don't exist. People who are already into muzzle loading buy them in bulk so there is zero, and I do mean zero, left for the rest of us. Oh well that's the way it goes, supply and demand.
Caps are hard to find.
When I went to the Rendezvous at greens two weeks ago picked up and 44 cal cap and ball six shooter .
Lol went into the shop.
They said we don't have any caps.
Lucky I bought 3 or 4 cans of caps before.going to shoot it tomorrow or Friday.

Hey...How did you get my rifle...? :D
Love it , when you show that rifle off...thank you.
Andy
Amazing to think that the Quartermaster General of the Northern Armies thought that these were suitable issue for a regiment of marksmen....Poor Colonel Berdan - I'd love to have seen the look on his face when his QM broke these things out of their packing cases.

Amazing to think that the Quartermaster General of the Northern Armies thought that these were suitable issue for a regiment of marksmen....Poor Colonel Berdan - I'd love to have seen the look on his face when his QM broke these things out of their packing cases.

Wiley Sword wrote about that in his book :
"Hiram Berdan, his famous Sharpshooters and their Sharps Rifles"
An excellent read , by the way.
In any event I was never really a fan of Colonel Berdan , but that is a different topic.
Andy

Personally. I'm with Ura-Ki. I've always liked that design for its ability to fire multiple rounds, despite the fact that it required holding it in a peculiar way. :)

I would be interested to know if it was issued with extra, (Multiple) cylinders that could be carried pre-loaded. :s0093:

Wiley Sword wrote about that in his book :
"Hiram Berdan, his famous Sharpshooters and their Sharps Rifles"
An excellent read , by the way.
In any event I was never really a fan of Colonel Berdan , but that is a different topic.
Andy
Hmm, I've been looking for a copy of that for years. Don't 'spose you have a spare, do ya?

Ah, belay that, Mrs tac has just found one here in UK - https://www.paulmeekins.co.uk/produ...-FAMOUS-SHARPSHOOTERS-AND-THEIR-SHARPS-RIFLES

Hmm, I've been looking for a copy of that for years. Don't 'spose you have a spare, do ya?
That I do not.
However , I will keep an eye out for you and if I find one its yours.
Reading and visiting used book stores is something that I enjoy as much as shooting muzzle loaders.
Andy

Edit to add :
Now that the coffee has done its magic...I see that Ms.tac has found you a copy :D
Edit to edit :
If that deal falls through...I'll send you my copy :)

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR