WA State law and AK kits

Discussion in 'Legal & Political' started by amc-pacer77, Dec 9, 2010.

1. amc-pacer77

amc-pacer77 New Member

0   0   0
    I'm curious about building up an AK and I am wondering if AK kits are legal in Washington, can anyone clarify that?

In Washington it is illegal to transfer or posses 'machine gun parts'. It would seem that a AK kit, most of which contain one or more fully automatic parts, would be illegal. Just having it sent to you would be a violation.

Here's another aspect. AK's are legally sold in Washington but most contain the bolt from a former fully automatic firearm. How are these legal?

There must be something I'm missing about Washington law, but I've looked and even asked a lawyer and didn't get an answer. Thanks.

Steve
  2. vern357

vern357 Member

21   0   0
    This one gets a lot of bad rap. I am not a lawyer, but in reading the law this is the phrase used:

"It is unlawful for any person to manufacture, own, buy, sell, loan, furnish, transport, or have in possession or under control, any machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle; or any part designed and intended solely and exclusively for use in a machine gun,"

RCW 9.41.220
    Unlawful firearms and parts contraband.

All machine guns, short-barreled shotguns, or short-barreled rifles, or any part designed and intended solely and exclusively for use in a machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, or in converting a weapon into a machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, illegally held or illegally possessed are hereby declared to be contraband, and it shall be the duty of all peace officers, and/or any officer or member of the armed forces of the United States or the state of Washington, to seize said machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, or parts thereof, wherever and whenever found.

The SOLELY part means (to me) that a full auto bolt is fine if it also works in a semi, but a full auto seer (Or other full auto part that has no place on semi gun) is contraband.

Hope this helps.
  3. Nwcid

Nwcid Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporter

19   0   0
    I agree with the above poster. If the part can be used in a legal configuration then it is legal in WA.
  4. amc-pacer77

amc-pacer77 New Member

0   0   0
    Vern thanks for the response, that was the exact sentence I've been struggling with. Your comment about a dual use part makes sense.

Any ideas on my other question regarding 'solely' auto parts? Thanks.
  5. PromptCritical

PromptCritical Member

1   0   0
    Some AK kits contain an auto sear and a rate reducer. They are solely for the full-auto version and should be discarded when building a semi-auto. (I gave mine to Coctailer)

They are the only parts that aren't immediately identifiable as the trigger or hammer, or disconnector.

[​IMG]

9, 10, 11, 12 are the auto parts.
  6. candyman

candyman Active Member

23   0   0
    u should remove the trip on the back of the carrier
    and give/toss all the trigger parts
  7. PromptCritical

PromptCritical Member

1   0   0
    Good point on the other trigger parts for that BS 922(r) compliance stuff.

Never heard of anyone removing the trip. Waste of time since nobody complains about M-16 carriers in AR-15s...
  8. supergenius

supergenius Active Member

3   0   0
    But an AR 15 is not a damn terrorist assault rifle... LOL
  9. candyman

candyman Active Member

23   0   0
    it is a waste of time but how much time do you want to waste
    30 seconds or 5 years
  10. PromptCritical

PromptCritical Member

1   0   0
    Well, a) I ain't in Washington, and b) this is the first I've heard about removing the trip after building my own AK, and seeing a few others built.

I see no need to remove the trip.