JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Don't forget steel pin and there is a lot of others as well.
Personally I use a sonic cleaner, only have to worry about changing the solution once in a while when it's to dirty.

Vibratory media.... Oh my!!

1667608934179.png

I have never had success with walnut media. I've tried several of the treated stuff and it leaves the brass with a layer of "stuff" that I always ended up needing to run it in corn cob to clean off.

I have long used walnut that is sold as "pet bedding". Add a little polish now and then and brass comes out looking new. The bottle of polish lasts so damn long I can't even read the label any more. Bought it from Midway I think.

In my vibratory tumbler, I use corn cob media. Works pretty well until the media gets dirty, and some polish (I use flitz) helps revitalize it and makes the brass more shiny. Don't have experience with walnut shell media. I have purchased the corn cob media from Grainger the last couple times I needed more. EDIT - I also use a couple dryer sheets with each load.

Also use a rotary tumbler with stainless steel pins for cleaning some brass. This works better for really dirty brass, or if I'm wanting to get the primer pockets clean.

I use both processes, depending on the brass, and what I am loading.

Last Edited:
I have long used walnut that is sold as "pet bedding". Add a little polish now and then and brass comes out looking new. The bottle of polish lasts so damn long I can't even read the label any more. Bought it from Midway I think.
I do the same as Alexx, I use NuFinish car wax for the polisher. I also add 2 used dryer sheets, that helps pull the dirt and grim out of the walnut pet bedding. Been using this method for 15 years. Gets my brass very shiny.

This ^^ is what I've always figured. Though never tried corn cob. Less expensive/easiest to get into and use is a vibratory tumbler with media.
I was pretty miffed after Al invented the internet and I found out the stuff was sold as pet bedding at a fraction of the price 🤬
I had for years been buying the stuff at the supply stores for a hell of a lot more since it said media for the cleaners.

OP:
the best vibratory cleaner media I've discovered, is a commercial prep of walnut grit with a little ceramic buffing powder. I bought a box of it about a decade ago & am on the last dose about ready for replacement.

It was under $20 at the time, made by the Green guys (RCBS?) who sell all manner of reloading supplies. I was always careful to either have the lid on my vibrator, or run it while I out of the room. Does a load of handgun cases in about 20 minutes if they were actually dirty.

I use both processes, depending on the brass, and what I am loading.
👆Agree
Different processes to achieve different intended results.
Walnut more aggressive clean.
Corn cob more of a high polish.
👆Agree
I am not a guy who needs my brass to be super shiny. But, that said, I am just a handgun plinker loader. I don't shoot competition, nor load precision rifle. I don't need clean primer pockets and the dust from walnut media doesn't impact my intended outcomes.

When you see a suggested media and system that fits your intended outcome, buy a small quantity of media and try it out. We've all probably tossed out a bunch of media that we determined wasn't going to work for us. It's all part of the fun of the process.

Anyway, welcome to the rabbit hole of reloading - another fine place to blow your hard earned cash. 🤣

Cheers

I was pretty miffed after Al invented the internet and I found out the stuff was sold as pet bedding at a fraction of the price 🤬
I had for years been buying the stuff at the supply stores for a hell of a lot more since it said media for the cleaners.
When I first started, Nov 2011. And found NWFA. I knew I needed to clean brass so went to the classifieds. I think that was my first or second hook-up to buy loading supplies. I bought two 5 gallon buckets full from member skydiver. A few days later I contacted him again and bought TWO MORE! I think it was 20/25 bucks a bucket. I'll say I had enough to last me until here a couple months ago! Though I did fill a couple of rifle rests with the walnut media too.

I picked up some more on-line, "lizard bedding" ant it's considerable finer than what I had. Kinda bummed about that. I feel the bigger sharper pieces will do a better job.

👆Agree
Different processes to achieve different intended results.

👆Agree
I am not a guy who needs my brass to be super shiny. But, that said, I am just a handgun plinker loader. I don't shoot competition, nor load precision rifle. I don't need clean primer pockets and the dust from walnut media doesn't impact my intended outcomes.

When you see a suggested media and system that fits your intended outcome, buy a small quantity of media and try it out. We've all probably tossed out a bunch of media that we determined wasn't going to work for us. It's all part of the fun of the process.

Anyway, welcome to the rabbit hole of reloading - another fine place to blow your hard earned cash. 🤣

Cheers
Yeah, I can see I am going to save a bunch of money by reloaading! 😀

For you guys that use ultrasonic cleaners, what do you use for the solution? I have one at work, but am concerned that the solution we use for cleaning carburetor parts would be too caustic/corrosive.

If you don't count the cost of the "overhead" like press, measure, scale, dies, measuring tools, you immediately see how much money you save! :) Use that logic with the wife. The 500 S&W rounds I used to make cost me 94 cents a round, instead of $2.50-$3 a pop, not counting brass and "overhead". Be like a Liberal, just mention the side of the story you want heard! :s0114::s0114::s0130:

Not at first! Saving money isn't the whole point of the endeavor.

I load for Swede Mauser and M1 Garand. I recently ended up loading for .30-30WCF and .45 Colt. Look at the price of those NOW? The Garand shouldn't be loaded with modern hunting ammo. Right now it has come down to $1.10 or so/round. I purchased several hundred rounds of quality .30-06 for Garand at about $.65/round and reuse the brass. Pretty much the same deal with the 6.5 x 55 for the Swede.
For the .30-30 and Colt .45 I sourced deals on brass and projectiles and am saving Biggly over store bought ammo. Of course I'm not counting all the powder, brass, bullets, primers that I have money in still sitting there as NOT ammo I can shoot! So yeah, I'm WAY in the hole! :s0140: :s0140: And I LOVE IT!!!!

YMMV

For you guys that use ultrasonic cleaners, what do you use for the solution? I have one at work, but am concerned that the solution we use for cleaning carburetor parts would be too caustic/corrosive.
I use the Hornady cleaning solution but that could work, you just have to test it to get the right time & concentration ratio.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top