JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Yeah. A few months ago my mailbox got letter bombed with notices about the breech from a whole bunch of different medical offices we've used over the years.

It seems like they were all using the same database service.

And networked systems are supposed to improve our lives... right?? And people wonder why I am so flat against doing business with any FFL that's using online digital services for their record keeping and form processing?? :D

1714873944080.png

They didn't use MFA for a critical system. Wow.

That stupid decision cost them $22 million in Bitcoin as a ransom, plus who knows how much reputational damage.

200.gif

Unforgiveable. The leisurely attitude these companies have towards peoples personal data, which they insist on collecting before providing services, is obnoxious.

When these breaches happen, it's not the company that feels the pain, it's the end user. They will just keep on keepin' on while Joe Schmoe goes bankrupt trying to recoup a fraction of what was lost.

Thank you

I had Great Freedom Health insurance until United Health bought them out. It's been over three years since I last requested an Insurance card to show that I'm now covered by United Healthcare but even though they draw $600 every month for my continued health insurance, I can't get a card to prove it

Those of you that are IT professionals, please explain to people what the acronyms that you're throwing around mean. This forum has a reputation for helping members, and if internet security is an issue, it would be nice to at least give us a heads up so we know what you're talking about so we could do some research.

Otherwise, it comes across as a little rude when acronyms are thrown around, and comments about boomers and ignorant managers follow. That hasn't happened in this thread but it has in others. It just seems fair to help out other community members if the opportunity presents itself.

MFA= Multi Factor Authentication
Usually password + plus a code that is either texted or emailed to your information of record. May have secret questions too. Like what was your first car.
Could be a smart card ID plus a code, or some bio-metric info - thumb print, retinal scan, and such.
FWIW - Not an IT person

That stupid decision cost them $22 million in Bitcoin as a ransom, plus who knows how much reputational damage.

View attachment 1875919
United Health didn't have a reputation to damage, so it's no skin off their nose. They land right above Group Death, er, Kaiser at the bottom of the medical insurance rankings.

United Health didn't have a reputation to damage, so it's no skin off their nose. They land right above Group Death, er, Kaiser at the bottom of the medical insurance rankings.
I don't know anything about that. I do know that Kaiser was great when our family had it a few years ago.

Usually password + plus a code that is either texted or emailed to your information of record. May have secret questions too. Like what was your first car.
Could be a smart card ID plus a code, or some bio-metric info - thumb print, retinal scan, and such.
FWIW - Not an IT person
If available, use it.

NWFA has it.

Use it.

they are more worried about how to get more money out of us then their data security.
They are more concerned about your money than your health.
I had UHC for care in 2012 when one child was undergoing inpatient treatment for a chronic problem.
After two months of treatment, the clinic called and said they had to discontinue the treatment and were discharging my child because UHC cancelled coverage. It took ~5 years and a lot of blood, sweat and tears to get my child to recover from their chronic issues.
I knew the VP of legal at Humana, they're not any better.

FWIW - Not an IT person
Thanks for the explanation. My United Health Care has it as mandatory. You need a code every time you log on. No way to opt out.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top