JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, a bunch of years ago (just trust me on this), while still in the Navy, I decided to take my .50 caliber mountain rifle to sea with me and sand the 'factory finish' off, removing the cheek swell (I'm left-handed) in the process. After removing the plastic-like finish, I found a totally awesome blonde streak through the stock wood. It should be noted that this was not a laminated stock, but natural walnut. So, for all those out there with muzzlestuffers, you might want to get back back to basics, and see what's under that factory finish.

Well, I was on a ship with women, the vast majority of which were very professional I might add. But, I was a married man at the time, so . . . I have no idea of what you speak.

Did that sound convincing . . . ?

In the 1970's and 80's....
Thompson Center , Marlin , Savage and Mossberg....firearms often had stocks with a lot of curl and character.

In any event...
Taking a firearm and doing work on it to make truly yours and fit how you shoot ...
As well as what you like , is a good thing to do.
Andy

The original finish was an absolutely homogenous red-brown walnut, and smooth like it was polyurethaned. After removing the cheek swell and sanding the entire stock, I did the thinned oil soak (linseed, I think) about twenty times, letting it soak in and then completely dry before a light sanding and then the next coat.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews