JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been looking and haven't really found one.
The word "inexpensive" may be better, just looking for a small caliber pistol or handgun that the missus can use. (~$100-$150)
Any suggestions? or am I grasping for the imaginary? (used, new, doesn't matter)

It's double your price range but the Walther P22 was the cheapest new .22 I could find at the last gunshow that wasn't a piece of junk. $320

Shoots very nicely and made for small hands. If you go that route, make sure it's one of the new models, older ones had some feed issues. Also, if you want additional mags they are $30, pricey.

I'm sure you can find something used in your price range, may just take some pawn shop hopping.

remember, you get what you pay for.

I agree, which is why I wanted to ask, so I could buy an "inexpensive" gun rather then a "cheap" gun that'll just be a headache we don't want.

Baretta, Taurus, Ruger, Walther = possible with some used searching.

Jennings, Phoenix = avoid if possible, even new.

??? = good and inexpensive and new...?

Still taking personal suggestions if you have any.
Mag availability would be a plus too, unless it's a revolver.

H&R revolvers are alright in terms of durability and reliability, and are often available for well under $200. Some of their nicer models cost more, though.

What/Where/How?

What is it?
Where can I get one?
How much?

Here?!?!

I saw a Ruger Standard for $159 at a second hand store yesterday. I've also seen the Beretta for around that price, though it's been awhile. I actually saw a P22 at the same store but it looked like it hit the road at about 55 MPH, not kidding, it had serious road rash.

Imho you really need to wait until you can toss more like $250 out there. Now with some dickering you're looking at a nice used Ruger Standard semi-auto.

It would require a bit more training than a wheel gun, but no one should be using a gun without good training anyway, so that issue would go away quickly.

I'm meeting you in the morning to buy your ammo and I'll try to remember to bring one to show you (NOT for sale, LOL.) I like the 6" barrel much more than the 4", but that's just personal preference.

I appreciate that. I've always had a personal fascination with revolvers since I was young, older "cowboy" revolvers, 4-6" barrels, simple but elegant.
I own a Hi-point 9mm right now, and wouldn't mind selling/trading up some day, I was hoping there was an inexpensive...step, between those guns to avoid and the ones to drool over and cry at the price. (I like the hi-point, weight and size isn't so much the issue as "here's your perfect gun.. will your payment be in arms or legs?")

Which, for me, would probably be a Glock 26, or CZ-99

Jimenez Arms I saw one NIB at a pawn shop for $129.00. My buddy bought one used for $100. I wish I could find another beretta 22lr or even a taurus 22 tip-up for under $200.00. Where are you finding them for that price?

I think others have mentioned liking theirs, and I'm a big fan of my Walther P22. For a 22 it has very little feeding issues. They usually show up when its really dirty. My buddy liked mine so much he had to get one for himself. It's a little more then your price range but well worth it.

Ruger Mark IIs and single sixes can usually be had for around $200 (which is still more than you specified), but they're both as accurate, reliable, and durable as any other .22 at any price range.

For revolvers $150 or under, heritage seems to get decent reviews. RG revolvers can be had for well under that, but are supposedly crap.

For dirt cheap autos, I think you're pretty much stuck with "ring of fire" guns like jennings, JA, lorcin, etc.

I bought a jennings .22 for $40 from a dude here, and have been pleased with it, considering what it cost and the fact that I had very low expectations for it.

had a buddy who had bought some .22 at a pawn shop that had two different barrels that were easily swapped back in forth. I think it might have been Phoenix arms... I don't know how it held up long term, but seemed pretty good for a while! Didn't look or feel that cheap and I am pretty sure it was under $200 new.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top