JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Costco still has $1.50 hotdogs and soda. :D
But they're "hot dogs" now, not "polish sausage". Which saddens me, I liked the polish sausage with mustard and relish.

Cheap eats for sure, not necessarily healthy, but certainly cheap.

The wife doesn't allow much fast food, occasionally Chick-fil-a, but that's only like 3 or 4 times a year. Today we'll get a special treat as we pass through Keizer, we get to pit stop at In-n-Out, she'll have her lettuce wrapped burger along with our oldest daughter, the youngest and I will do double-doubles…. This only happens a couple of times a year…

Costco still has $1.50 hotdogs and soda. :D
I'm not familiar with most of these places food, menu's and costs being mentioned, but I DO love me a Costco dog and they've been the same price for as long as I can remember. Rumor has it that the new CEO wanted to raise the price but the founding CEO (before retiring) told him if he ever raised the price he would come back and kill him. 🤣

The dogs (used to have polish sausage too) have gotten a bit thinner and shorter, but still fills out to a nice size meal. Nice topping selection too to load up on.

Rotisserie chickens are still affordable too. With a little creativity you can make a lotta meal portions out of one. (Grab a couple spares for the freezer to boot).

Given that there are still affordable and more delicious options... it's difficult for me to understand why people can be so intent on continuing to pay through the ever increasing roof... for crap.:D

Scanning the thread it almost seems like a single trip can run you darn near about as much as a more decent sit down meal out, doesn't it(?) It's purely paying for time savings and a convenience thing?

Last Edited:
Rotisserie chickens are still affordable too. With a little creativity you can make a lotta meal portions out of one. (Grab a couple spares for the freezer to boot).
I haven't been a Costco member for nearly a decade, but those, as well as the 2-pack whole frozen chickens were some of the best deals available. I would always pick up a hot one for today, and a 2-pack to throw on the smoker later.

I'm not familiar with most of these places food, menu's and costs being mentioned, but I DO love me a Costco dog and they've been the same price for as long as I can remember. Rumor has it that the new CEO wanted to raise the price but the founding CEO (before retiring) told him if he ever raised the price he would come back and kill him. 🤣

The dogs (used to have polish sausage too) have gotten a bit thinner and shorter, but still fills out to a nice size meal. Nice topping selection too to load up on.

Given that there are still affordable and more delicious options... it's difficult for me to understand why people can be so intent on continuing to pay through the ever increasing roof... for crap.:D

Scanning the thread it almost seems like a single trip can run you darn near about as much as a more decent sit down meal out, doesn't it(?) It's purely paying for time savings and a convenience thing?
Yesterday I bought this and was a bit surprised at the total - everything except the last item (pills) was food. Granted, most of these items were multiple items in one package, but still...
E1618849PAD THAI13.99 N
E847909GHIR.BROWNI13.99 N
E41407TORT PASTA15.43 N
E1048300MINI TACOS11.99 N
327379/10483003.00-
E1355725NAE POT PIE13.99 N
E1013182WONTON RAME16.59 N
E1644679BABY DILLS5.89 N
F1140422KS ESO 42C12.99 N
SUBTOTAL101.86
TAX 0.00
****Total101.86

He must have been dealt an unfortunate genetic hand if he watched his diet and exercised. For the rest of us, eating poorly and lack of exercise will sap your energy and hasten you to the grave.
I think the situation with him is that he could eat whatever he wanted, and he did, and still appear exceptionally fit. He's an avid golfer, don't know what else he did for fitness....

However, the food he was constantly eating was rich or junk. That stuff still deposits in your body.

Most people who attempt to be fit, also control their diet.

Yesterday I bought this and was a bit surprised at the total - everything except the last item (pills) was food. Granted, most of these items were multiple items in one package, but still...
Surprised "good" or "not the good kind"? In comparison, what would the same shopping cart like that cost you a year ago?

I recognize what "most" of that stuff is, but not what kind of portions, types of preparations, or quantities (IE., Pad thai and wonton ramen. Is that dry ingredient flat packs with dry sauce packets or like those big bowl, just add hot water types, or those fresh ingredient precooked frozen ones(?))

How does Costco compare to other sources.. like Winco?

I think everyone has different diets and priorities in their food shopping. I'm not knocking anyone, but one thing I kind of noticed was most/majority seem to be pre-prepared and packaged/frozen products? That's typically quite expensive compared to cooking from ingredients, right(?)

Yep. Not to mention typically packed with salt, preservatives and color enhancers.
That's what the quiet voices were saying in my head when I typed, "I'm not knocking anyone's diet".... :s0140:

ETA: You never know what another persons situation is either. I know some men that can't cook (health reasons, disabilities, etc) or won't expend the time or effort to cook from ingredients. It's not a priority. Given the options... prepared foods likely cost less and at least marginally healthier than eating fast food every day(?) Or worse... buying 6 cases of canned tuna fish and 10 cases of campbells soup and eating the same food every meal, every day of the week.

Last Edited:
Surprised "good" or "not the good kind"? In comparison, what would the same shopping cart like that cost you a year ago?
Mildly surprised at first that a cart with items that only took up half the bottom of it, cost so much. But then it occurred to me that each item was costly (well over $10), even though most were discounted.

I recognize what "most" of that stuff is, but not what kind of portions, types of preparations, or quantities (IE., Pad thai and wonton ramen. Is that dry ingredient flat packs with dry sauce packets or like those big bowl, just add hot water types, or those fresh ingredient precooked frozen ones(?))
Mostly prepared meals - multiple items - like 12 or 24 items in each package. I regularly buy these things (like the chicken pot pies) because they are cheap for a meal and easy/fast to nuke.

How does Costco compare to other sources.. like Winco?
I shop first at Costco then drive two blocks to Winco and shop for stuff there that is cheaper than Costco. I pretty much have the prices memorized because I buy mostly the same things when I shop (about once a month). I get dairy products, produce (bananas, potatoes, etc.) and some other things at Winco. A lot of that stuff gets put into the large freezer in the shop.

I think everyone has different diets and priorities in their food shopping. I'm not knocking anyone, but one thing I kind of noticed was most/majority seem to be pre-prepared and packaged/frozen products? That's typically quite expensive compared to cooking from ingredients, right(?)
Yes - I am lazy about cooking and not a good cook at all - I usually just nuke something.

I cook meat in the slow cooker, then ad rice, lentils and sometimes split peas. I often flavor it with canned soup or a retort package of something spicy (Thai or Indian curry something). Then I eat some, and later put most of that in a sealed bowl, and it thickens. Later I put a spoonful onto a soft flour tortilla, nuke them both, put some sour cream and salsa on them, roll it up like a wrap and eat one or two of those.

And only five dollars a month to walk in the door.
I also get all of my gasoline there. When I was daily commuting, the cheaper gas alone would pay for the cost of membership because I had to fillup once a week - saving ~$1 per fillup. Not so much now that I only fill half a tank once or twice a month. Plus, they have so many customers going thru their pumps that their tanks are refilled regularly.

The Marie Calender pot pies are a $1.17 ea at Costco, at Winco they are usually $2-$2.50 ea. - I eat at least two per week.

I could go on, but I think the savings are worth it. Plus they have some things I cannot find at Winco (i.e., a certain type of salsa I like).

In short, it works for me.

I also get all of my gasoline there. When I was daily commuting, the cheaper gas alone would pay for the cost of membership because I had to fillup once a week - saving ~$1 per fillup. Not so much now that I only fill half a tank once or twice a month. Plus, they have so many customers going thru their pumps that their tanks are refilled regularly.

The Marie Calender pot pies are a $1.17 ea at Costco, at Winco they are usually $2-$2.50 ea. - I eat at least two per week.

I could go on, but I think the savings are worth it. Plus they have some things I cannot find at Winco (i.e., a certain type of salsa I like).

In short, it works for me.
The only reason I renewed my membership recently after a 10-15 year hiatus was to use their optometrist and get multiple pairs of glasses and a year's worth of contacts for the first time in my life.. since I had heard good things.
I'm happy I did as the final tally, all told, was/is comparable (to include membership cost) to the cheapest and not nearly as highly ranked other eyeball outfit and then internet sourcing for hardware dance out there.
I too could go on and on about costco, it's an unbelievably good store but I haven't gone back for any sort of shopping since I don't really need or want anything.
I remember a ways back they had chilled whole hanging lamb carcasses there for like $100/ea.. I still regret not getting one.

And only five dollars a month to walk in the door.
Oh, the easy part is making up that small membership cost. The hard part is working up the will power to deal with that glut of humanity- starting with the 20 acre parking lot full of Karens that WILL mow you down if you get in their way. The buck fifty hot dog is a prize for making it to the entrance in one piece.

The only reason I renewed my membership recently after a 10-15 year hiatus was to use their optometrist and get multiple pairs of glasses and a year's worth of contacts for the first time in my life.. since I had heard good things.
I'm happy I did as the final tally, all told, was/is comparable (to include membership cost) to the cheapest and not nearly as highly ranked other eyeball outfit and then internet sourcing for hardware dance out there.
I did that last year.

I am probably going to shop around more for frames this year as I didn't see exactly what I wanted (large round lenses) yesterday at Costco.

I also want some safety glasses for shooting/etc. and Costco said they didn't have those.

Oh, the easy part is making up that small membership cost. The hard part is working up the will power to deal with that glut of humanity- starting with the 20 acre parking lot full of Karens that WILL mow you down if you get in their way. The buck fifty hot dog is a prize for making it to the entrance in one piece.
Or, how the heck can one person and one shopping cart completely block an aisle?

It's the glut of humanity that's a bridge too far for me. Same with Winco. Wife does the Costco and Winco trips. I do Safeway at 10pm.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top