JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Y'know, we all go through phases in our lives. There was a time, as a teenage lad, where the sound system in the car was more important than if the car ran. Do my musical tastes still tend in the same direction as then? Not so much, but I can look back and appreciate the song, sentiment, and time in my life where those were more my style. Then again, I also have an appreciation for Arlo Guthrie, Bob Dylan, Metallica, Johnny Cash, A Tribe Called Quest, Phil Collins, Gary Newman, and dozens of other bands and musicians. I can see where some of my selections may not fit into everyone's individual preferences. Unlistenable seems a bit harsh though, but to each their own.
I enjoy a rather wide variety of music, spanning centuries and cultures, but grunting, shouting or chanting into a microphone, whether accompanied by musical instruments or not, is in no way music, regardless what one chooses to call or how one might market it. You can't fool me. :)

I enjoy a rather wide variety of music, spanning centuries and cultures, but grunting, shouting or chanting into a microphone, whether accompanied by musical instruments or not, is in no way music, regardless what one chooses to call or how one might market it. You can't fool me. :)

Somehow we got this thread all intertwined with the "Musical Adhedonia" thread. Anyhow, since that's the case, we shall Live With It and this Right HERE is for my Good Buddy @Flopsweat :

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrIRMktvRM8&ab_channel=SCEntertainment

Y'know, we all go through phases in our lives. There was a time, as a teenage lad, where the sound system in the car was more important than if the car ran. Do my musical tastes still tend in the same direction as then? Not so much, but I can look back and appreciate the song, sentiment, and time in my life where those were more my style. Then again, I also have an appreciation for Arlo Guthrie, Bob Dylan, Metallica, Johnny Cash, A Tribe Called Quest, Phil Collins, Gary Newman, and dozens of other bands and musicians. I can see where some of my selections may not fit into everyone's individual preferences. Unlistenable seems a bit harsh though, but to each their own.
I have an "okay" sound system in my prius grocery getter. its actually a jbl system which is pretty good for nowadays. But there is something missing and I just found and bought it last year. A brand new 1990 Blaupunkt cassette deck. :s0040:

1715315127770.jpeg
1715315157451.jpeg

So Just my Personal Opinion.

But I have spent some considerable time driving in the three Pacific Coast States: Oregon, Washington and Kalifornistan.

In my Humble Opinion, the Best Drivers in general, are in Oregon.

Number 2 is Kalifornistan. And

Number Three is Washington.

Can you say "Stopping on the Freeway OnRamp to wait for an opening in Traffic" ?? o_O
Now that brings back fond memory of "Drivers ED". Lived in a VERY small town up here. Did not even have stop lights. So to pass Drivers ED we had to go one time to Seattle to prove we could really drive. So first test is getting on and off I5. 3 kids, two boys, 1 girl. First up to try, the girl. Instructor tells her get on the ramp, try to come up to speed (70 then), slow down look for an opening, then accelerate to just at or over posted to move into traffic. Poor girl. :s0140: Boys in back seat had been warned to shut the hell up. She starts up ramp, gets to the top, slams on brakes, floors it, shoots out into traffic, only to be missed because a couple other drivers showed amazing skill at avoiding her. She did it all so damn fast the instructor could not really react, just turned sheet white. Girl is saying excitedly "How did I do", boys in back are laughing, instructor tells her get off next exit. She was done for the day and had to move on to some more driving time since she failed. Both boys had no problem when it was our turn to do the move.

When I was a teen I got a LOT of the "turn off that noise". Now that I am gray I see a LOT of those who used to say that are listening to that same music they called "noise". Called Classic now. A LOT of the stuff that is "new" now will I am sure NEVER be heard again a few years from now.

I thought your "unlistenable" response was quite charitable!!

I thought your "ulistenable" response was quite charitable!!
LONG ago we had neighbor who was a lot younger. All was fine for a long time. Then one week in summer he takes off to paint his home. Has some "music", sounded like bunch of people screaming and pounding on stuff in the studio to me. Could not even begin to make out words. Figured OK, just while he is painting. Well then he decided to spend his off time in yard blasting that crap. One of my kids who was a teen could not tell me WTF it was. So one weekend day Wife and I head to store, buy the largest ghetto blaster they sold. Come home and I was going to put Frank Sinatra on. Wife said she had a better choice. CD of Village People, YMCA. Put disc in, turned it up full blast, went in house, closed windows and doors. By the time disc ended I went out and it was silence on the other side of the fence. Message received. :s0140:

LONG ago we had neighbor who was a lot younger. All was fine for a long time. Then one week in summer he takes off to paint his home. Has some "music", sounded like bunch of people screaming and pounding on stuff in the studio to me. Could not even begin to make out words. Figured OK, just while he is painting. Well then he decided to spend his off time in yard blasting that crap. One of my kids who was a teen could not tell me WTF it was. So one weekend day Wife and I head to store, buy the largest ghetto blaster they sold. Come home and I was going to put Frank Sinatra on. Wife said she had a better choice. CD of Village People, YMCA. Put disc in, turned it up full blast, went in house, closed windows and doors. By the time disc ended I went out and it was silence on the other side of the fence. Message received. :s0140:
Ex co-worker of mine, fellow coder, would listen to screamo music in order to concentrate. Heh..I dont get it but it worked for him.

My plan for a similar situation was to get a predator call recording and let them listen to that while we went to dinner, but it turned out to be unnecessary.

Concentrate on what? Murdering kittens?
Haha..we all joked around with him like that. Seriously nicest, mellowest dude you can imagine. 6'5"..beard like zz top..never shown an ounce of stress, anger..nothin. Said, man you must go home and murder small animals or something..we're on to you!

Wait..lol...I thought you were deaf!?
Yes and...? Hearing threshold (the level where I can start hearing things outside my head :s0140: ) is 90 decibels on left, 100 decibels on right. Old hearing aids reduced that to about 30-40ish. New tech might be better, i don't know. Haven't worn hearing aids in years.
Maybe listening to some of that was what made him deaf? :s0140:
Was spinal menegitis at almost 3 years of age.

Brother loves him some screamo, heavy, hard music and punk music, but he also appreciates jazz, swing, ballroom, R&B, hip hop and normal rock

Years ago, I had a Virago 920. The insert in one of the mufflers was a little rusty, and eventually it fell out, so for a couple of weeks the bike sounded like a wounded tractor. I'm sitting at a light in San Diego next to an old, clapped-out Nova and the guy starts playing some kind of Mexican calliope music really loud. It sounded just awful. I look over and raise my hand like "do you mind" but he just turns it up more. So I rev the bike up to about 2000 RPM, which on a V-twin is up there a bit. I couldn't hear his stereo anymore and frankly, I was making a bit of a racket. In response, he turns it up all the way, so I run the revs up to 4000 and now the bike is just ungodly loud. And the faulty pipe is on his side. :s0140: He rolls his window up but leaves the music on. I look at him and shake my head. He turns the music off and I let go of the throttle. Now I can hear someone laughing their butt off. I look around and it's the guy in the car behind me. :D

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top