JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hasn't that been banned?
Was in the beer business for years. There weren't very many things you couldn't swap for beer. Even got my golf clubs re-gripped in trade.......Drank in military school, college, TGIF, a major beer company and finally at a major private distributor.

At the end of your life and you are given a choice. A 6 pack of beer, or a loaf of bread. What would you choose??? Its a barter currency.

Was in the beer business for years. There weren't very many things you couldn't swap for beer. Even got my golf clubs re-gripped in trade.......Drank in military school, college, TGIF, a major beer company and finally at a major private distributor.

At the end of your life and you are given a choice. A 6 pack of beer, or a loaf of bread. What would you choose??? Its a barter currency.
Wasn't talking about beer, I was talking about the 'Tom Sawyer' story.

Wasn't talking about beer, I was talking about the 'Tom Sawyer' story.

Not only have I read the Tom Sawyer story, I visited Mark Twain's house, the fence and the cave from Huck Finn. :)
Ha! Born and raised in eastern Illinois. I too have made the 'trek' to St Petersburg IL to see it all. Was under 10 at the time but it was common reading material for youngsters.

I think Huckleberry Finn would be much more likely to be banned or avoided in schools, at least back when I was a kid, than Tom Sawyer. As I recall, TS was mostly about TS and other white friends. HF, in which HF and an adult slave hand run away down the Mississippi on a raft. HF is running away from his father who abuses him. The slave is running away from slavery. Along with various adventures HF struggles with his conviction that helping a slave escape is wrong and he will go to he'll for it, and his initial belief that n-words are in all ways inferior, only to have it disproved over and over on the trip. A revolutionary book when written compared to the pablum of TS. HF decides when they reach their destination, he'll tie the runaway slave up and turn him in, but finds himself unable to bring himself to do so. Still remember his decision. "Okay. I'll just go to he'll then." Something like that.

Generally, IME, people in the country let their garbage pile up somewhere. If it is burnable (like a mattress or a sofa) then it goes on a burn pile and gets burnt. If it is a junk car/etc., then it gets left on their property - you see this in the countryside; where farmers/etc. have junk cars, tractors/etc. sitting on their property. We live here, so we don't dump our garbage in the ditches. The city folk bring theirs out to the countryside and the woods and dump it in the ditches or the rock pits/etc. - out of their sight, for us to deal with.

Yes - I hauled some junk to the dumps a couple years ago, both mine and my kids, and it was $40 for WA county for a small pickup load, while in Yamhill it was $25 (IIRC) for my large flatbed.

I have one grocery sack full of trash per week - I am not going to pay $20/mo for that. My neighbor lets me put in their garbage bin for weekly pickup, I let him borrow my drag harrow occasionally and things like that. I would never just dump anything in a ditch.
Some people, be they city OR rural folk, unfortunately, were never taught not to shyte where they sleep.

Upcoming Events

Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top