JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
While 114 is important I wanted to have some other discussion. I did a search for this topic and found a thread for 2009, so I thought I would start a new one.

I have been reloading enough lately that I am not able to store my new ammo in my normal fashion. While I do have some "MTM" boxes of 20-100rd counts I have less than 1000 rd capacity per size (example small rife vs large). I went online to price some more, but like everything else they have gone up in price to be prohibitive for as many as I need. Buying a couple of boxes is one thing, to buy dozens is another.

Mostly in pistol, I do have OEM plastic trays, but again they are all full.

For .308 I have a bunch of the M60 cardboards. You can fit 150 loose rounds laid in a box and 2 boxes fit in a .30 cal can.

For .223 I do have a couple cans of stuff packaged on strippers in bandoliers for SHTF. I have considered storing more stuff on stripers in a can, however since LULA's came out I have no desire to use strippers for routine use.

Of course I have lots of ammo stored in magazines......

I feel like los of people do loose store ammo, but I wanted further feedback.

How do you store your reloads, or really any ammo? I am hoping to gain some ideas for my situation.

Bulk pistol ammo loose in ammo cans. Bulk rifle ammo in zip lock bags in ammo cans. All my rifle match and hunting ammo is in plastic ammo boxes. Ammo and firearms are stored in a room with its own humidity control. I learned the hard way golden rods and desiccant does not work in the northwest wet areas.

For AR ammo, I have quite a bit stored on 10 round stripper clips with 3 in the little cardboard boxes. You can find them as surplus. You get quite a few in an ammo can and they're convenient for having a mag full in one sleeve. If you can find them, throw a spoon in each can too,. Haven't bought any for a few years.

Just looked for them online and it looks like the prices are crazy now. Here are some stripper clips. Price on this site isn't quite as outlandish as others right now.

For AR ammo, I have quite a bit stored on 10 round stripper clips with 3 in the little cardboard boxes. You can find them as surplus. You get quite a few in an ammo can and they're convenient for having a mag full in one sleeve. If you can find them, throw a spoon in each can too,. Haven't bought any for a few years.

Just looked for them online and it looks like the prices are crazy now. Here are some stripper clips. Price on this site isn't quite as outlandish as others right now.
For .223 I do have a couple cans of stuff packaged on strippers in bandoliers for SHTF. I have considered storing more stuff on stripers in a can, however since LULA's came out I have no desire to use strippers for routine use.

I do still have around 1000rds of strippers and boxes floating around.

I did not see that, do you have a link?

I believe they have them in 9mm, .45, .308, & .223 I've assembled approximately the same setup for other calibers by just buying the cases and ammo can separately and stenciling the caliber on the side of the can.

Only 1?

Is ammo stored loose, bagged, boxed, etc?
Pistol and shotgun ammo is mostly loose, 22 ammo in its little boxes in the cans, Rifle ammo in trays and stacked in the ammo cans. There are some calibers I have multiple cans full of ammo. The idea being I can grab and go and have plenty of ammo no matter what I grab. My first choice is my 300 Win Mag and it's can full of Nosler Partitions.

I like to use dry boxes and dry cans, 7.62x51 and 50cal cans are my favorite. I have found that even in the small cans I can fit at least 500rds of 5.56 per can.
308 cans are good for large storage of 5.56/223 around 2,000rds. 50cal cans are good for larger storage of 308/7.62x51 and up. 300WM gets its own special cans for storage. 308 cans are good for Pistol ammo if you're using the trays or boxes cause you can double stack them.

If I ever win the lottery...all my ammo would be stored loaded in magazines and placed into new and hopefully air-tight ammo cans with desiccant packs. I need the lotto money for all of the magazines and to hire someone to reload them when I shoot them, as I would be shooting a lot more if I had a ton of $$$ :s0114:

For economy, you might consider these from Midway:

They are available in many sizes. They've gone up a lot since the last time I bought some. But I've reused them many times.

If I ever win the lottery..
This would be good for a separate thread. Mine: I'd hire a guy to come in and shave me every day. I hate shaving but I also hate being unshaven. I'm not likely to get this wish as I don't buy lottery tickets.

For economy, you might consider these from Midway:

They are available in many sizes. They've gone up a lot since the last time I bought some. But I've reused them many times.
I have considered those. I had not looked for them yet. While the price has gone up, even at low quantities they are under $0.80 each.

The last time I strolled down the isle in local Bi-Mart I saw a stack of Ammo cans (I'd say about medium size) with a sign at the top reading 25 or 26 something, I was shocked, since the last time I bought 10 new looking, albeit surplus, clean, straight, no rust, and with good rubbers seals, about that same size, for 80 bucks--- total. It seemed like it was only a couple years ago.
Call me rip van winkle as I must have fallen asleep for some time.
I then looked on line thinking for sure I read it wrong and nope, I couldn't believe my eyes.
If those new ones are made like the new gas cans, they're likely pretty thin metal too.

I guess I shouldn't complain, as long as the ammo inside is worth its weight in gold, the box aught be pricy too just to show I care.

The last time I strolled down the isle in local Bi-Mart I saw a stack of Ammo cans (I'd say about medium size) with a sign at the top reading 25 or 26 something, I was shocked, since the last time I bought 10 new looking, albeit surplus, clean, straight, no rust, and with good rubbers seals, about that same size, for 80 bucks--- total. It seemed like it was only a couple years ago.
Call me rip van winkle as I must have fallen asleep for some time.
I then looked on line thinking for sure I read it wrong and nope, I couldn't believe my eyes.
If those new ones are made like the new gas cans, they're likely pretty thin metal too.

I guess I shouldn't complain, as long as the ammo inside is worth its weight in gold, the box aught be pricy too just to show I care.
Yeah, things have gotten crazy. Been about 20 years ago now, but one of the local general sporting goods stores had pallets of ammo cans for years. I bought all my .30 cal cans for $2 each and though I had more then I would ever need, I was wrong.....

Yeah, things have gotten crazy. Been about 20 years ago now, but one of the local general sporting goods stores had pallets of ammo cans for years. I bought all my .30 cal cans for $2 each and though I had more then I would ever need, I was wrong.....
I've been saving the boxes that my projectiles come in when I buy them from x-treme. They will hold roughly 400 to 500 rounds depending on caliber and type. They're a nice heavy box and I just put the freshly loaded ammo in a heavy freezer bag and put it in the Box. I do have some stuff in ammo cans but I really don't feel like spending any more money on ammo cans right now. It's a lot different storing ammo where I live now because it's so much drier. When I lived in Western Oregon I was always worried about the moisture.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
  • Centralia, WA

New Classified Ads

Back Top