JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have some 8" gongs hanging from a wooden saw horse system bought from Harbor freight. Works great and has held up. Also have a couple of shepherd hooks to hang steel too.

That said, looking for something 'taller'. My range requires the bullets impact the berm and the hanging targets/hooks are just too low unless I back it up to the 25ft berm, and that's too far to shoot pistol 'quickly'.

I've seen some stands with a single 2x4 and angled top holder for 1 piece of steel. Concerned those might 'fall backwards' if taller. Just not sure what folks recommend. Or possibly other options. I also considered longer legs on the sawhorse too, but came here for innovation :cool:

Do you have access to a welder or are you looking to buy something ready to go. I just finished 4 target stands to hold 18"x36" 3/8" steel plates. Welded 8" lengths of 4x4x.25 steel tube inside of some old steel rims. I used 4' sections of 4x4 lumber for the uprights. You can hit the targets with 12 gauge buckshot at 10 yards without having anything fall over.

I have some 8" gongs hanging from a wooden saw horse system bought from Harbor freight. Works great and has held up. Also have a couple of shepherd hooks to hang steel too.

That said, looking for something 'taller'. My range requires the bullets impact the berm and the hanging targets/hooks are just too low unless I back it up to the 25ft berm, and that's too far to shoot pistol 'quickly'.

I've seen some stands with a single 2x4 and angled top holder for 1 piece of steel. Concerned those might 'fall backwards' if taller. Just not sure what folks recommend. Or possibly other options. I also considered longer legs on the sawhorse too, but came here for innovation :cool:
Can you just get taller shepherds hooks?

I needed an easy set up/ quick break down system that I could adjust for different heights. I bought a set of these. I am very happy with them.

You attach conduit pipe of any length for legs and a 2x4 of any width. Allows you to adjust the setup to height / width you want, and change it in a minute or two by swapping hardware.

Cheapest, simplest, smallest to pack and lightest solution I could find.

Are you handy with yer hands?
I had everything in stock just lay around.

IMG_1319.jpeg

I'd recommend something like this where you can use steel conduit or rebar. I use something similar with rebar, can make it as wide as you need and can hang multiple targets.

I'd recommend something like this where you can use steel conduit or rebar. I use something similar with rebar, can make it as wide as you need and can hang multiple targets.

My setup…
IMG_6670.jpeg

I had a stand for my 3/8" x 18" x 36" steel target, but the stand also worked for a telescope, which I sold. The steel target attaches to a 24" x 2" x 2" steel square tube with a bolt and spring, with a steal head silhouette also. It could slip over a t-post, so I'm considering just doing that where I target practice, because I doubt anyone would try and get that out of the ground, but who knows with teenagers today. They like to destroy everything.

Thanks for most the feedback, the current sawhorses I have are similar to what everybody's linked with the conduit options. I can easily make it taller with just longer 2x4s, I don't know how you get taller Shepherd's hooks.

Just looking if anyone had other options

Thanks for most the feedback, the current sawhorses I have are similar to what everybody's linked with the conduit options. I can easily make it taller with just longer 2x4s, I don't know how you get taller Shepherd's hooks.

Just looking if anyone had other options
Shepherds hooks are available in all sizes such as 2', 3', 4', 5', 6', 7' check Fred meyer

...I've seen some stands with a single 2x4 and angled top holder for 1 piece of steel. Concerned those might 'fall backwards' if taller. Just not sure what folks recommend. Or possibly other options. I also considered longer legs on the sawhorse too, but came here for innovation :cool:
Depends on the type of base. Cheesy lightweight? Yah more likely to fall down.

Looks like Thor Targets has a newer style of adjustable base. Liked there old single piece base, dunno if they still have them around or not.

Old style like such (interwebs grab):

TT-banner.jpg

Don't recall them ever going down.

I have two Thor target stands. One old style, one new style. They can be any height I deem desirable with a simple 2x4 change. Worth buying IMO

I've seen some stands with a single 2x4 and angled top holder for 1 piece of steel. Concerned those might 'fall backwards' if taller. Just not sure what folks recommend.
I have a cheap brand 2x4 pistol gong like this and it doesn't fall over. The stand does have holes drilled into the base just to drive ground stakes thru if it does become an issue. I got mine at Sportsmans, pieced altogether about $100 adding the top holder and a steel plate hanger target.

My shepherd hooks are 8', and ~ 6-1/2' once they're pounded into the ground.
I have multiple sets of brackets like @nammac showed and plenty of EMT or old chain-link fence rail.
I have asked and received drop pieces of re-rod at construction sites, multiple times.

Some ranges may specify a brand or ban homemade. The range I use, Izaak Walton, requires the use of Thor targets. They are the only board approved alternative to cardboard and paper, probably due to money changing hands under the table but rules are rules.

I like these for what you are trying to do.
There are many like them, but this design is the best I've found.
I like the way the leg tabs come off the top and not the bottom like most. The designer was a thinker.
Gets the 2x4 cross member on edge where it's strongest.
Uses 1" EMT (electrical conduit) for the legs which is the best size for strength to weight. (better than 3/4" EMT and WAY better than rebar)
The bottom holes are for hanging additional weights....I've never had to.

I take 2/ 10' sticks of 1" EMT and cut them in half.
4/ 5' legs work very well, then make the 2x4 however long you want.

I'll sometimes take a 1x6 and tack it to the top of the 2x4 and place jugs of water on it.

Hybrid-Stand-scaled.jpg 4-20-19a.jpg

Last Edited:
I got my Dad a couple of Action Steel targets (I think thats what theyre called, cant find the link for them) for his BDay and he likes them a lot. Theyre heavy duty tripods and have not fallen over on us yet, actually the more you shoot em the more they dig into the ground. Good for temporary stick it in a car type setup, but a little bit awkward to carry in and pricey of course. But if I was buying for my own set up id go with the hanging stand brackets like DirectDrive shows above, or cheap H bases and just stake them down good.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top