JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I got home this morning from most of three days of shooting south of Crane. The weather was on and off, sun, clouds and wind. We had a lot of fun but have had a lot better shooting when the weather cooperates. The ranch owner told us that it would make his day if someone would kill a Badger, so I did when given the opportunity. I left for home at 4:30 this morning and the Santiam Pass wasn't too bad, but a couple of friends that left later came upon a jack-knifed log truck and semi. They had to turn around and head for Eugene to get back to Corvallis. Badgers are difficult to dispatch with a .22.
1714438411907.png
1714438504261.png

Badgers, though they make quite a hole, are one of the best animals for controlling ground squirrel populations that there is. Around our place they and the coyotes get a pass as long as they maintain their distance from the buildings and where our chickens like to hang out.
Our squirrels started poppin' out about a month ago. When I get home my new can on the 10-22's gonna get a workout!

I got home this morning from most of three days of shooting south of Crane. The weather was on and off, sun, clouds and wind. We had a lot of fun but have had a lot better shooting when the weather cooperates. The ranch owner told us that it would make his day if someone would kill a Badger, so I did when given the opportunity. I left for home at 4:30 this morning and the Santiam Pass wasn't too bad, but a couple of friends that left later came upon a jack-knifed log truck and semi. They had to turn around and head for Eugene to get back to Corvallis. Badgers are difficult to dispatch with a .22.
View attachment 1872541
View attachment 1872542
my mother in law had a badger attack her tractor one time, popped a front tire. [it was a small tractor and a POS tire] I took care of the problem on my next visit to the farm. 6mm rem

my mother in law had a badger attack her tractor one time, popped a front tire. [it was a small tractor and a POS tire] I took care of the problem on my next visit to the farm. 6mm rem
One of our group poked it with a stick and decided it was dead enough to pull out of the hole. I didn't need to see it that bad.

View attachment 1872541
View attachment 1872542
What kind of sage rat numbers did you see? Last year was pretty bad for my group. This year, I shot 3 days a couple weeks ago. A couple owners were saying that they didn't have any sage rats this year. Good for them, bad for shooters. I did get to one field that made up for everything though.

What kind of sage rat numbers did you see? Last year was pretty bad for my group. This year, I shot 3 days a couple weeks ago. A couple owners were saying that they didn't have any sage rats this year. Good for them, bad for shooters. I did get to one field that made up for everything though.
We were hindered by clouds, wind, and it wasn't very warm out. The shooting was sporadic from good to horrible but the rats were there .

Here in central CA the squirrels have been out for about a month. The numbers are up from last year. we had a full day of rain Saturday, but with the sun out the squirrels are out in force today. I'll be hitting my favorite fields again as soon the roads dry up. This morning, I was out shooting in our pastures.
When the young and dumb are out I like to bring out some of my antiques and open sight guns. It adds a little challenge to squirrels that let me get closer.
DR

Here in central CA the squirrels have been out for about a month. The numbers are up from last year. we had a full day of rain Saturday, but with the sun out the squirrels are out in force today. I'll be hitting my favorite fields again as soon the roads dry up. This morning, I was out shooting in our pastures.
When the young and dumb are out I like to bring out some of my antiques and open sight guns. It adds a little challenge to squirrels that let me get closer.
DR
I thought cali/mini Mexico fell into the ocean?

DR
Is it expensive to get an out of state license (not a full year but weekend maybe)?

DR
What ammo are you using? Non-lead ammo is so expencive I stopped shooting in CA.

What ammo are you using? Non-lead ammo is so expencive I stopped shooting in CA.
Lots of people have stopped shooting in CA.
The few times I have been able to get unleaded 22lr it has not been worth the bother. The most accurate was Winchesters Win-Tin ammo. You would think it would be readily available here but it's not. The Win-tin was from a friend in TX.
I mostly shoot 17 HMR. That I can get in unleaded most anywhere here. My current favorite is CCI TNT Green.
At least from my guns the TNT and TNT green shoot so close to the same poi that I don't even change scope settings or re zero.

I have Kids and Grandkids in Southern Ore, So I shoot the regular TNT there. [ its slightly cheaper]. DR

Lots of people have stopped shooting in CA.
The few times I have been able to get unleaded 22lr it has not been worth the bother. The most accurate was Winchesters Win-Tin ammo. You would think it would be readily available here but it's not. The Win-tin was from a friend in TX.
I mostly shoot 17 HMR. That I can get in unleaded most anywhere here. My current favorite is CCI TNT Green.
At least from my guns the TNT and TNT green shoot so close to the same poi that I don't even change scope settings or re zero.

I have Kids and Grandkids in Southern Ore, So I shoot the regular TNT there. [ its slightly cheaper]. DR
I have a lot of load data for .223 using Blue Dot. It works just fine in a bolt action. I shoot a 34gr bullet and my friend shoots 55's. This data has been around for some time and is safe. I know the guy that did all of this work. Powder charge from 4 to 14 grains with various bullets.

I use a lot of the 34 gr Barnes Varmint Grenades. They are lead free and shoot well from both 223 and 22 Hornet. I have not used the blue dot loads, I use the centerfire rounds more for long shots. And the rimfires for closer in.[ under 130 yds.]
But if I could not get 17 HMR in lead free, the Blue dot loads would keep me shooting. DR

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top