JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Anybody had any luck with sage rats on HWY 20 between Riley and Burns? Any worthwhile tips on where to hunt in 2024 without a $200+ per day guide service would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Dan
There is a large BLM or some other Government agency sign on the right side of the road that I recall being before Lake Chickahominy. I think the sign is stone on the ends supporting the wood sign. I was up that road once and spent the night in my camper. Not long after I got there I noticed rats running around. There weren't numbers like on an alfalfa pivot, but there were enough to keep me entertained for awhile. That's been a few years ago. If you don't see any, sit for awhile and if it's a nice day you should see some.

Thanks for the info, joken.

I now believe squeaks on BLM land in Oregon shall hereby and forever be relegated to the lore of Bigfoot or the proverbial unicorn!

Two weeks ago I went on a scouting trip to check out spots that seemed promising. I went down through Bend, La Pine, Fort Rock, Christmas Valley, across to Wagontire, up to Riley and then to Burns. What I saw was endless millions of acres of sage brush and not a single rat, save for a couple on private land just East of Fort Rock and one off of Substation Road in Burns.

I imagine you locals are probably laughing to stitches and I now consider myself completely and utterly schooled. :)

We shoot on a large ranch south of Crane. It looks like a lot of Alfalfa growers have used poison and I suppose I can't blame them. There aren't as many rats there as there were a few years ago and it may just be that there are more people getting too shoot there. I am a friend of a friend of the family and have been shooting there for a number of years.

A couple years ago I made several trips through the grasslands around haystack lake and grey butte, places where they had been way more than plentiful in years past. Not a single rat was sighted. Friends of mine that still live in the area say that sage rats are nearly a thing of the past.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews