JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Anyone around Portland that likes calamari/squid should try out the pepper salted squid at Thien Hong on Sandy. I've been going there for about 20 years and it's what I always get.. and more..

Thien Hong - Roseway - Portland, OR

View attachment 411059

As a matter of fact, I've taught myself to make a respectable copy of this exact item. The (few) ingredients are on my shopping list as we speak.

Its what I get when I go there. I always get a little chuckle of the lady who asks if I want chopdicks.

Its what I get when I go there. I always get a little chuckle of the lady who asks if I want chopdicks.
I call the head lady there Sergeant Carter.. behind her back. lol

upload_2017-12-5_15-3-53.jpeg

You can't beat the salt and pepper squid at Thien Hong!

When I was in S Korea I ate sun dried squid! They were about 18" long and crunchy, like peanuts! If you went on pass to the ville you'd see a dozen GI's walking around munching on these crunchy tastys! :)
So....Jim, do you eat snot rocks (ie: oysters)?

864C7333-59CE-4A74-81D9-CB936F2967BE.jpeg

When I was in S Korea I ate sun dried squid! They were about 18" long and crunchy, like peanuts! If you went on pass to the ville you'd see a dozen GI's walking around munching on these crunchy tastys! :)

View attachment 411160
Boo Han in the Fubon Asian shopping center on 82nd has all kindsa dried sea creatures by the pallet load. Awesome place.

All of my roomies in the Navy when I was in Hawaii were 2nd Class Divers. The Navy wouldn't let me go to 2nd Class Diver school because of my classification, but I was a civilian instructor. We basically ate anything that moved in the ocean. Squid, octopus, eels, ghost crabs, parrot fish, sea urchins, oysters, scallops, it's all good. :) I especially love deep fried squid.

Anyone around Portland that likes calamari/squid should try out the pepper salted squid at Thien Hong on Sandy. I've been going there for about 20 years and it's what I always get.. and more..

Thien Hong - Roseway - Portland, OR

View attachment 411059

As a matter of fact, I've taught myself to make a respectable copy of this exact item. The (few) ingredients are on my shopping list as we speak.

Hmmm. I live really close to that place. After reading the reviews on Yelp, I'd probably pass. That's a shame though, terrible service and questionable odors, and such are not things I'll deal with more than once if I'm paying good money.

Hmmm. I live really close to that place. After reading the reviews on Yelp, I'd probably pass. That's a shame though, terrible service and questionable odors, and such are not things I'll deal with more than once if I'm paying good money.
I disagree. I think it has a very high Yelp rating and those very few bad reviews are likely snowflakes with competing restaurants and or trying to push their professional "review god" status/agenda.

View attachment 411160

I do!!! We gather around a Weber BBQ that has dozens of semi small size oysters (the best IMHO) covering the rack watching like vultures & waiting for them to pop open. Then we snatch them up, dip them in butter and garlic and throw em down our necks, aint no chewin them at all....;););)

I lived 3 blocks away from it for over 30 years(moved 2 years this month and lived in the same 2 square mile area for 64 years) and never ate there or anyplace else on Sandy from 57th to 72nd. excpet for the old XXRoot beer place on 62nd and Sandy that was Toisi's for many years and is now another Asian food restaurant. Now go west into Hollywood I ate at the Pagoda, the Mandarin, Poor Richards, Chin's Kitchen, the Prime Rib, Yaws(worked there for over 3 years) , the Rhinelander, Sylvias, Carmens(where I met my wife of 34 years now), Alfie's(worked there for 3 years) and Taco Bell(in the early years it was fairly good, not like today's crap they serve and I refuse to eat there).

Last Edited:
I lived 3 blocks away from it for over 30 years(moved 2 years this month and lived in the same 2 square mile area for 64 years) and never ate there or anyplace else on Sandy from 57th to 72nd. excpet for the old XXRoot beer place on 62nd and Sandy that was Toisi's for many years and is now another Asian food restaurant. Now go west into Hollywood I ate at the Pagoda, the Mandarin, Poor Richards, Chin's Kitchen, the Prime Rib, Yaws(worked there for over 3 years) , the Rhinelander, Sylvias, Carmens(where I met my wife of 34 years now), Alfie's(worked there for 3 years) and Taco Bell(in the early years it was fairly good, not like today's crap they serve and I refuse to eat there).

How 'bout Arctic Circle? :D Not 57th-72nd, but, Pancho's? Classics!

You never stopped in and had a donut?
I doubt that!

I would rather eat squid than salmon most any day. Biggest variable in my decision is who caught it. My favorite piscal morsel is eel, but i'm pretty sure our closest match is protected.
I guess the taste of farm trout is stuck in my mouth.

You never stopped in and had a donut?
I doubt that!

I would rather eat squid than salmon most any day. Biggest variable in my decision is who caught it. My favorite piscal morsel is eel, but i'm pretty sure our closest match is protected.
I guess the taste of farm trout is stuck in my mouth.
Ooh, smoked eel is the best.
Remember a couple months ago a semi of slime eels tipped over on a highway around here, spilling the entire load (gigity).
must've been quite a sight

Slime eels are one of the most disgusting creatures on earth. Even the orientals won't eat them. They use them for leather like eel skin wallets. I supplied boats and equipment to a lot of people fishing for them in years past.

just dont fall in, lots of horror stories about Diablo rojo down in Mexico.

Not sure if we have Humbolts up here though.

We most certainly get Humbolt up here. Overnight tuna fishing out of Westport is where I've gotten into them twice. They fight harder than an albacore and have a beak the size of a parrot. Big white-glo squid jigs and halogen lights are the ticket a couple hours after dark.

Ooh, smoked eel is the best.
Remember a couple months ago a semi of slime eels tipped over on a highway around here, spilling the entire load (gigity).
must've been quite a sight
Yeah, I do recall seeing pictures on the inter-webs! I would not want to pick up that mess! LoL

I agree, smoked eel is amazing!

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top